Used 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Outlander Sport model:

Love it!
By meggiemay

2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport SE 4dr SUV 4WD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased a 2012 Outlander Sport with 12,000 miles on it a little over a month ago, upgrading from a '06 Cobalt Coupe. All I can say is that I absolutely love this car and have no regrets making the purchase. I read every possible review on the vehicle I could find before making the purchase, so I thought it would be helpful to post my thoughts on the car. Overall I feel like a got a affordable yet reliable SUV with all the features of a more "luxury" brand.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage in this vehicle is incredible, I'm averaging 27 mpg with 90% city driving. However, interstate driving seems to drain the tank, any speed over 70 drops the mpg down to about 20. As long as you can keep it at 70 mph or less the vehicle maintains the higher 20's/low 30s MPG range. The model I purchased has the FAST key system which is also very cool and useful!

Suggested Improvements

This vehicle is not made for racing! The reviews are correct that it doesn't have a ton of get up and go. With this being said, I have no trouble matching highway speeds when trying to get onto the highway or passing traffic, which is really all I need it for anyways. The ride is somewhat noisy, I look at it as a sacrifice to make in order to get all the other features I wanted in my price range.

Chick car
By kukusa

2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport SE 4dr SUV 4WD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

My wife and I purchased a fully loaded RVR (as they call it here in Canada) in the summer of 2012. It was mostly me rather than my wife who was sold on this car's styling. However, in less than a year, we decided to traded it in for a european station wagon and it turned out to be our best car purchasing decision. Having said that, our biggest complain was actually the ride height. The Mitsubishi is in fact a well put together package at a bargain price. We had drove the new Escape, MX-5 and Forester prior to the Mitsubishi but we didn't like any of them even they are more expensive. We didn't pick the wrong crossover, we simply picked the wrong car segment.

Favorite Features

Big sunroof, audio system, connectivity and overall styling. But then, none of above actually has anything to do with the car itself.

Suggested Improvements

The rear luggage compartment has a weird length. It is about 1-2 inch shorter a standard 28' suitcase, which means you can't use all that space efficiently if you have multiple suitcases. Legroom is good for backseat passengers, but that comes at the expense of a short seating length. The resulting tight support is poor, especially for back seat passengers. The seats gets uncomfortable over longer road trips. At last, the CVT. Mitsubishi, I hope you are reading this. Please make it as good as Nissan or Honda's, or just through in a standard automatic. Also, make a turbo charged Ralliart version so you do have something that's actually sporty.

It looks better than it is
By jacobmunden

2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport SE 4dr SUV 4WD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Really, the title says it all. I got my fully optioned AWD outlander sport in 2012 and have put around 10,000 miles on it. As far as reliability, its been great, though you'd expect that from a brand new car. The driveability of the car is far from sporty. While it may be AWD with paddle shifters, it doesnt offer much fun to the driver. The gas mileage on it is absolutely average. I do have to say, it looks pretty good on the outside, especially with the rim package! If you're looking for a car with good gas mileage or a bit more performance, look elsewhere.

Favorite Features

I love the exterior, and the stereo.

Suggested Improvements

I would suggest putting a v6 or a turbo 4 in the car, as it really needs more pep. I would make leather seating an option.

A fun city car
By ecidloc

2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport SE 4dr SUV 4WD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned this car for more than 7 months and everything has been performing very consistently. I like this car's interior layout much better than most of its Japanese competitors, like Honda, Subaru, Mazda and etc. The exterior is also one of the sharpest. This car is excellent for city driving, nimble, reliable, fuel efficient and easy to park. Don't listen to Edmunds review, this is a car meant for day to day driving, it should not be reviewed as a sports car. If that's what you are looking for, look else where.

Favorite Features

Excellent grip on the steering wheel, Easy to use audio and climate control, premium quality audio system, panoramic roof.

Suggested Improvements

The CVT takes time to get used to, and it sounds less refine than Nissan and Honda's system. Seat ergonomics could be better, especially for the backseats.

Freshest crossover on the road
By zx_knight

2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport SE 4dr SUV 4WD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Power- Its lacking in this area in comparison to the others in its class but the CVT tranny really makes good use of the 148hp. It gets a little fun when using the paddle shifter (The paddle shifter sold me on the car). Only issue I have is that you cant tow anything, I dont know how that compars to the rest but its a forgivable issue. Suspension- This little truck could out handle alot of cars. Definitely shines above the rest, especially in 4wd mode :). Seating- Im 6"1 and have 2 children in car seats and we fit with little issue. Im a lil cramped in the leg department but I could still do long distance trip in it easy. I even talked my sister in to buying one. There fresh

Favorite Features

My fav feature would have to be the Rockford stereo, that thing thumps. I also love the handling, which is better in 4wd. I can also appreciat the HID headlights. They work great and the ability to level them with the switch in the car help in the mountins because you can set the a little higher to get the light futher in front of you on the uphills. Its just a good car for a good price.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I with the would have done is offer a Turbo mode. I would have been all over that. Otherwise, Im Happy I would have wrote more in the review section but I ran out of characters. Everything was good tho