Used 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outlander Sport model:

Reliable, but uninspiring
By darkcoupon

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport SE 4dr SUV 4WD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This car has been very reliable. I bought mine in fall of 2011 and, apart from regular maintenance, this car hasn't seen any time back at the dealership. The rest of the car, though, is rather unimpressive. Despite the sporty exterior, the underpowered engine makes this car beyond boring to drive and inspires no confidence when needed. The poor engine would almost be forgivable if the car achieved the advertised gas mileage, but after nearly 3 years of ownership I still average around 20mpg City and 25mpg Highway. This is mostly due to the fact that the pedal needs to be on the floor most of the time to keep up with traffic. Mitsu would have been much better off including their 2.4L engine.

It has a great looking exterior, performs very well in the snow and on minor off-road trips. Very well equipped for the price, 4WD system is excellent. Cargo room is adequate for 2 people, though it could use more. Nav system comes in handy but finding the right settings and menus is a chore. Great warranty. I don't have enough room to write all of my suggested improvements so I'll start them here: The auto climate control seemingly has one setting: full blast. The seats feel like cardboard after driving for more than 30 minutes. The stock tires have weak sidewalls and are expensive to replace. The switches for the heated seats are impossible to see from your seating position.

The voice dialing feature is absolutely useless. Setting your phone up and importing your contacts is easy, but it never recognizes a name and has randomly deleted all of my contacts on more than one occasion. A more powerful engine is an absolute must. This car is slow and gets poor gas mileage as it is, try filling it with 4 people and all of their camping gear. You'll be lucky to make it out of the driveway. The build quality is very cheap. The interior constantly squeaked while driving at first, now it's just occasional. The washer fluid filler tube is the flimsiest piece of plastic that I've ever seen. It broke off of the frame while I was trying to close the lid. I can go on...

Great Crossover, would be better 6 cylinders
By sjcruiser36

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport ES 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I have had this vehicle since October 2012. My check engine light just came on, and the code at AutoZones states its the oxygen sensor. Hopefully this is covered by the warranty since I only have 18,000 miles on it. Other than this issue, I haven't had any others issues with it. It would be better with a 6 cylinder engine, and if the current engine didn't make the clicking noise, but its apart of the design. I haven't had any road noise issues, and she gets pretty good gas mileage especially when I'm paying attention to the green fuel efficiency line. The ride is comfortable for me, and others who are driving or are in the back seat, and the cargo space is enough for most needs.

Good gas mileage, reliable, great for driving in the city or highway, and is easy to park and fit into small spots.

Try to reduce or eliminate clicking noise with engine

Good car for the money
By mitsudriver1

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I have about 30K miles on my Outlander Sport. I purchased this car for commuting and general running about in the city. It took a little getting used to since I have been driving a Large SUV with V-8 power for the last 15 years. With that said this car is adequate for what it does. ITs not a very quick off the line but if you use the paddle shifters it helps. Once up to speed it moves nicely and cruises at 75-80 mph with ease. I have found it to be pretty versitile considering its size. I am able to haul around bicycles, potting soil, plants etc. I have averaged between 26-28 mpg in mixed city/hwy driving and I don't baby this car. The handeling is very car like and generally comfortable

interior features are good for this price level. good storage space especially with seats folded down.

This car would benefit TREMENDOUSLY with another 20--30 hp and 30 lbs torque to get it moving off the line. plastic body panels feel flimsy when washing the car.

I love this car!
By loiscae

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Absolutely love everything about this car. Ive only had it a few months so I cant give it a 5 rating on reliability until Ive had it longer.

I love the CVT, the tiny increase of noise (from my Sante Fe) does not bother me. I have a lot of power for 4cyl. I have plenty of passing power on the highway and have plenty of power getting on a highway. Ive already driven it on one round trip of 800 miles and I was never more comfortable for the entire time. Compared to the Sante Fe that I was driving, I am getting way more gas mileage than before. Love the handsfree phone, stereo etc...

Remove the 3rd seat. Wasteful and useless. Make the 2nd seats slide back and recline.

Very Pleased
By boehm421

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Recently purchased my Outlander Sport after looking at the Kia Sportage and Hyundai Tuscon. Read some reviews indicating it is very loud and under-powered. I have found the power to be more than adequate and engine noise to be a non-issue as well. If you are a lead foot, engine noise will be louder than usual due to the CVT transmission. The car makes use of higher RPM's to power the car for quick acceleration. This has to do with the fact that a CVT does not "shift". It's basically one large gear. The car feels well made. I am very happy to own this car after trading in a Mercedes Benz ML320. I do mostly city driving/ short trips and get about 23 mpg, which is a vast improvement for me.

Love the styling. The car looks awesome. Standard HID, adjustable headlights are great. Rockford Fosgate Stereo/ Navigation system with giant subwoofer is fantastic. The huge panoramic sunroof with LED illumination package gives the car a luxury feel. I had the dealer add a complete leather package for $1250. It looks and feels like it came from the factory and carries a warranty backed by Mitsubishi. The Nav system works great and the bluetooth link to my Blackberry is fantastic. I stream music from it and can even control it through the steering wheel controls.

The dash could use a bit more bling, but for about 160 bucks, you can buy an aftermarket dash kit in wood, carbon fiber, or brushed aluminum. That will solve that issue. I really have no complaints about this car and my mechanic assured me that Mitsubishi makes VERY reliable cars. (he has one too)