2004 Mitsubishi Montero Consumer Review: Work horse

2004 Mitsubishi Montero - Consumer Review

Limited 4dr SUV (3.8L V6 4x4 5-speed Automatic)

Work horse
By FrankP on

2004 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 04 Montero with about 10K miles on it. It now has 191,000 and still going strong. I have been very strict with the oil changes - every 5k and most of the other suggested maintenance. The vehicle has never left me stranded. It is excellent off road with great clearance and easily goes where other mid-size utes won't dare. The highway ride is good too and it does a decent job towing my camper. Very comfortable seats except 3rd row is for small kids only. I've had to replace the catalytic converter twice very $$$ and had the manifolds off both sides of the engine develop heat cracks which had to be repaired - other wise no issues. Trans, 4WD and motor no issues at all.

Favorite Features

Big nice cabin - great seating. Very reliable. exterior and interior very durable. big sunroof, nice factory sound. Good on tires - unlike most mid-suvs. Tows excellent - up to 5000lbs, ice cold a/c, excellent heated seats - will fry your rear end on a cold morning! Excellent off road.

Suggested Improvements

Vehicle kinda has a roof rack but not really. Gas mileage poor. Exhaust system weakest mechanical parts on vehicle.