Used 2004 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mitsubishi Montero - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mitsubishi Montero SUV

Limited 3.8L V6 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (39 reviews )

Mountain Climber
By SafeInSnow

2004 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I call this the Mountain Climber. It's ability to grip the road in all conditions (snow, sleet, rain, mud) is amazing. I really wish they would make a 2010 version. Compared w/ all other SUV's, this is the hidden diamond (get it?). 3 rows of seating, HUGE storage, and awesome cabin feel.

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive options, wood grain steering wheel, exterior look, storage room

Suggested Improvements

2010 model is needed, navigation package, hybrid model

Work horse
By FrankP

2004 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 04 Montero with about 10K miles on it. It now has 191,000 and still going strong. I have been very strict with the oil changes - every 5k and most of the other suggested maintenance. The vehicle has never left me stranded. It is excellent off road with great clearance and easily goes where other mid-size utes won't dare. The highway ride is good too and it does a decent job towing my camper. Very comfortable seats except 3rd row is for small kids only. I've had to replace the catalytic converter twice very $$$ and had the manifolds off both sides of the engine develop heat cracks which had to be repaired - other wise no issues. Trans, 4WD and motor no issues at all.

Favorite Features

Big nice cabin - great seating. Very reliable. exterior and interior very durable. big sunroof, nice factory sound. Good on tires - unlike most mid-suvs. Tows excellent - up to 5000lbs, ice cold a/c, excellent heated seats - will fry your rear end on a cold morning! Excellent off road.

Suggested Improvements

Vehicle kinda has a roof rack but not really. Gas mileage poor. Exhaust system weakest mechanical parts on vehicle.

3rd Montero
By Vicvizual

2004 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

Why is this my third Montero ?? I've been around many vehicles and cannot find a better bang for my bucks, and great quality and reliability are by far its greatest features. I have never had to worry about being stranded or inconvenienced with a breakdown. Too many people have never had the experience to own a "worry-free" vehicle like this one. Many have come to believe that changing an alternator, starter, or similar unit is a common maintenance procedure (Most domestic designed vehicles). This is not so with a well-engineered such as Mitsubishi's Montero. Even with delayed maintenance, the Monteros I have owned performed like new until the day I traded them in.

Favorite Features

Quality, Performance, heated seats, sun roof, power seats, great motor and transmission combo (I've blown away many larger V8 SUV's and climb hills effortlessly). This is my third Montero, even after test driving my dream car Range Rover HSE, which failed in comparison for overall value.

Suggested Improvements

Modern Accessory Options, such as GPS Navigation, XM radio, etc. Exterior needs to return to a more macho look. Newer body style at rear is a bit fru-fru for me, unless it is black. It reminds me of a fertility idol with voluptuous hips. Improve Mitsubishi marketing. Self-esteem seems low.

Great decision to get one
By jun

2004 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

It's really a great experience for having a Montero which I just get 2 weeks ago. I've been driving my daughter's new Pilot, and it's so amazing to know & feel the driving comfort of my 2004 Montero almost the same.

Favorite Features

Very cold A/C, lots of headroom, turns & handles like a car especially on parking, high ground clearance, makes me feel safer driving in different types of conditions.

Suggested Improvements

3rd row seat needs improvement. Some suvs 3rd row seat are flat to the flooring when folded, making bigger room.

Can't Beat the Montero Limited
By steve

2004 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I have had several SUVs and by far the best is the Montero Limited. I pull campers, boats, etc. and you can't even tell they are back there (even in the mountains). The vehicle is super reliable and the service is great at the dealer.

Favorite Features

The interior and pulling power.

Suggested Improvements

I use mid grade gas with no problems, regular gas is not recommended.