2003 Mitsubishi Montero SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero model:
248,582 original miles and still going strong!!!
By mjd11 on 09/15/11 10:48 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

i bought my 2003 montero LTD in 2004 with 25,000 miles and since 200,000 + miles in the odometer and let me tell it has never let me stranded no where! only do the regular basic maintenance (oil, oil filter,air filter,battery,brakes, etc) and the off road capability one of the best off road vehicle you can buy.But where it falls short is in horseporwer is slugish when accelerating and the mpg i think can be improve im getting max and light footed on highway speed is 19.1.but overall is the most reliable (and i have had toyotas)and comfortable ,i would recommended it to everybody.

Best Bang for your recessionary buck
By tilolite on 08/18/10 11:01 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the 03 Montero 20th Anniv used for a much less than similarly loaded or capable SUV. I already own a 98 Montero Sport with over 155k mi which is still running great. I expect the same or better from this one. I was attracted to Montero's rally heritage, bullet proof engine and that I grew up with them in the Caribbean where they are known as Pajero. Although 7 yrs old, this SUV still turns heads since it is fairly rare. It goes anywhere in style. It's reliable, comfortable and cheap to buy especially used leaving me with money for new mods. I have added wheel spacers for improve stability and look. Next I will add larger rims & tires, a cold air intake to increase HP and MPG.

Head Turner
By Gino 3 on 11/18/09 08:04 AM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I have had a Montero Limited for 5 yrs and I love it. I actually preferred my montero over my Dad's Hummer H2 when he asked me which one I would prefer to have. I love the interior's quality and comfort. It does great off-roading with a rock solid frame. Has a good take off for an SUV of its size. Everywhere I go it always turns head and people are always asking what kinda of car it is and most even think it's an 08 or 09 model. Great sound system for being stock, I wish it would have the fourth generations 650 watt Rockford Fosgate system with a 10" sub with 12 speakers and 240hp MIVEC engine though, but it will do. I would never choose any other SUV over my Montero besides the H1 alpha.

What a ride
By Dano on 09/11/09 01:59 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Montero SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I just purchased a 2003 Montero XLS with 81,000 miles and it run like new. This truck has great power and passenger room. My kids love the big sun roof and I love the interior and exterior styling. I have always wanted this truck.

Fun to Drive Monty
By Nick on 06/17/09 16:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I used to own a Honda Mini Van but wanted to upgrade to an SUV. With lots of research work, I kept coming back to Montero Limited. The Price/Feature combo sold me a 5k mile driven SUV for a huge discount. It's a dark midnight blue with black leather interior. It currently has 85k miles. Besides regular oil/filter changes, I performed a major scheduled maintenance at 60K. Flushed fluids thru dealer, changed front/rear axle oil and spark plugs (DIY). Changed front brake pads at 40k interval and rear brakes once so far. A very reliable truck/SUV with no problems at all as long as you use genuine parts and keep up with maintenance. Planning on driving it up to 300k miles.

120k+, It keeps going and...
By Bryan Calnton on 11/21/08 16:19 PM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I drive a steep and curvy mountain every day. At first I was a bit disappointed in the handling. I replaced the tires from the dealer and WOW! What a difference. I end up passing motorcycles over the mountain. (Do not try that at home.) It handles very well for a SUV. The gas mileage for what I put it through is great 17 mpg. I am a contractor, one day I pulled a tandem dump truck out of a steep driveway on one of my job sites. Saved me a wrecker bill. It was in 2LLC slow going but it did the job. I am so proud to own this Montero. Edmunds.com take another Montero out for a test drive, I guarantee if you change the tires you will change your mind.

Awesome SUV!
By hh 589 on 08/29/08 14:18 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I loved the build quality and interior at the time of purchase. A bit of remorse set in over the first year due to "road wildness" - read comments on the internet and found out I needed to change the "OEM" tires - changed to Michelin LTS and man what a difference - now I love everything about this vehicle - I now have 97,000 miles and have not had any major problems - agile , rock solid and extremely comfortable in and out , best visibility . My partner is on his third company car and I have still stayed in this one even though the company would buy me anything I want - nothing out there that interests me .

Still great after 100,000 miles
By Wesley on 06/06/08 07:44 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

It's been five years and and 105,000 miles and I still love my '03 Montero LTD. If they still sold new ones in the US, I'd be buying another. But, I'll gladly hold on to this one for another 100,000 miles or so! I'm very impressed by this vehicle.

Excellent vehicle
By Fred Reithel on 04/22/08 20:08 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

We have owned three Montero's, two new, one bought as a lease return. Other than the SUV type of gas mileage they have been terrific vehicles, great comfort, quality build and enjoying to own. Mitsubishi makes fine product and we will consider the next generation of smaller Mitsu SUV's when the time comes. Buy used with confidence

Will miss Monteros
By DWHOUSES on 03/11/08 20:14 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 4th Montero. I take them to about 150,000 miles & get another one. They are bulletproof, luxurious, reasonably economical (I get a solid 18 MPG) and distinctive looking. I will be ready for another in 2008 and am devasted that they aren't made any more. I can't think of any other SUV that provided the space, quality, comfort and style for anywhere near the price. Its a LandCruiser for 2/3rds the price.