Used 2003 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mitsubishi Montero SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero model:

Love my Montero!
By dgkobs

2003 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

However, do not bother repairing the rear A/C, if you have it. It will just fail again.

Only owner, now 160,000 and still going strong!
By Brian

2003 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

May not be the "best looking" SUVs on the road, but definitely excellent in dependability. I bought mines new in 2003 only because of an end of the year savings, which absorbed the negative equity of my “lemon” trade in. I wanted a SUV but knew nothing about this particular make/model. I didn’t even know what it looked like until they walked me over to it. Initially I was not impressed. Although leather seats, I thought the interior was cheaply designed, and it was a little noisy at higher speeds. As stated, I bought, but thought I would most likely get rid of it around 3yrs/30k. However, here I still own it over 13 years later, and I wouldn’t get rid of my baby for nothing! The only repairs I made to her are changing the oxygen sensors multiple times, a minor adjustment to my four wheel drive, and engine oil seals. Granted, I have stayed on top of the scheduled maintenance. Unfortunately, Mitsubishi no longer makes this model. However, they should bring it back with interior, and body style upgrades. I would certainly buy another!

Great vehicle!
By Martha Coyne

2003 Mitsubishi Montero SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Very Reliable, no major problems till 2015, and only 117,000 miles, loosing oil found out the rings went bad. Had to replace engine costing $$$$
With new engine runs great but now the drive train needs to be replaced. Took very good care of this Montero, not sure why this all happened.
Not only that but had to replace alternator 3 times prior to finding out about the rings going bad.
Drove the Montero from Washington to Mississippi, not one problem!

248,582 original miles and still going strong!!!
By mjd11

2003 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

i bought my 2003 montero LTD in 2004 with 25,000 miles and since 200,000 + miles in the odometer and let me tell it has never let me stranded no where! only do the regular basic maintenance (oil, oil filter,air filter,battery,brakes, etc) and the off road capability one of the best off road vehicle you can buy.But where it falls short is in horseporwer is slugish when accelerating and the mpg i think can be improve im getting max and light footed on highway speed is 19.1.but overall is the most reliable (and i have had toyotas)and comfortable ,i would recommended it to everybody.

Reliability ,off road capability, ride comfort ,huge sunroof and build quality.

the engine needs some more power is a bit slugish and improve mpg.

Best Bang for your recessionary buck
By tilolite

2003 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the 03 Montero 20th Anniv used for a much less than similarly loaded or capable SUV. I already own a 98 Montero Sport with over 155k mi which is still running great. I expect the same or better from this one. I was attracted to Montero's rally heritage, bullet proof engine and that I grew up with them in the Caribbean where they are known as Pajero. Although 7 yrs old, this SUV still turns heads since it is fairly rare. It goes anywhere in style. It's reliable, comfortable and cheap to buy especially used leaving me with money for new mods. I have added wheel spacers for improve stability and look. Next I will add larger rims & tires, a cold air intake to increase HP and MPG.

Huge sunroof, 4x4 features, go-anywhere capability, unique and classic styling, exclusivity (not another Armada or Yukon), interior style, fully loaded for low price, fast depreciation since I bought it used and don't plan to sell.

STRONGER gas or a diesel engine, ipod or aux input, radio controls on steering wheels, memory for seat adjustments, wider wheel base to improve stability,navigation. 2nd row movable and fold truly flat. Xenon. Not sure if I would pay more for any of those improvements, they are nice to have