Used 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mitsubishi Montero - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mitsubishi Montero

View reviews for a specific Montero model:

Most Helpful|
First and Probably Last
By Sherri1975

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Had the Montero for almost 1 1/2 years & keep having problems with it. While very comfortable, we have been very disappointed with the performance. It only has 49K miles on it & we've already had to have the brakes worked on twice (still not fixed) & just spent $440 getting the spark plug wires changed out. According to the service lady at the dealership, Mitsubishi is very picky about the parts that it can use and that it's more expensive to fix anything on them. I have a '98 Nissan that I've never had to have a thing done to it, so extremely disappointed that we put this much money into it to get the quality that we got.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, comfy seats, plenty of leg and head room

Suggested Improvements

Make repairs more easily done in someplace other than the dealer, gas milage, stability

My best SUV
By donwoj

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I now have 126,000 miles on my Montero Limited. I have not had a single problem with it. It is the most versatile vehicle I have ever owned. I need a good off road vehicle that is comfortable for my daily commute. The Montero is awsome off road. I put around 1,000 off pavement miles on it annually and it kicks butt. It was born to be driven in dirt, mud, and snow. It has great storage. I take the third seat out and use the compartment for storing camping and hunting gear year round. I can't get rid of it because it still feels new. My dilema is that they will quit making them after 2006. I made up my mind that I will always own one, but I guess Mitsubishi messed that up for me.

Favorite Features

Its cargo and storage space are equal to a big Yukon or Expedition. Gas mileage of 17.5 per gallon - not bad for a big SUV. Big windows and moonroof provide excellent visibility

Suggested Improvements

none

The best SUV out there
By Adrian

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My dad had purchased this Montero Limited in silver and it was fully loaded with all the options. He really enjoys driving this car because it was his favorite car when he did his research. For me I love this SUV. If Mitsubishi would add a V8 then the gas mileage would be much worse. But since it's a V6 you can actually add parts to the engine to make it faster. The best thing about this Montero is the moonroof it has. It's very big and stylish. You can also add stepbars to make it better looking and much easier to get in. No problems. Mitsubishi did a nice job on the Montero. But the 2003 and newer look uglier now. Also you can and I recommend install an alarm with car starter.

Favorite Features

LCD computer display, transmission 5 speed auto-manual, comfort, leather, exterior look, engine performance and much more...

Suggested Improvements

Mitsubishi should have gave the Montero navigation system.

shoulda had a V8
By SS

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Looks - tonka toy look sort of grows on you over time interior - a step above most of the other mid-price suv's. reclining back seats great for kids. 3rd row completely disappears, but only good for very occasiuonal kid use quality - too many issues - broken seals in awd system, breaks that won't release, power- terrible, the reason you ulimately regret the purchase advice - by an MDX or step up to a Land Cruiser

Quarter million and still truckin'
By fritzknaak

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had to step up from a sedan back in '02 to handle kids. Got this and have never looked back. Seemed pricey at the time, with the full boat extra package I got, but I've never owned a vehicle in my life that's given me more value back in quality. I've burned through 5 sets of tires, more oil changes than I can count (it's now starting to take a quart every 5k or so). I've replaced bearings in the front on both sides and a muffler after 200k. I've used it hard and it keeps on trucking. I'll be crossing the 250k threshold in a month or so, God willing. I truly wish Mitsubishi was still making these. I'd get another in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

Lots of head room. Very comfortable ride. Nice curb appeal.

Suggested Improvements

There not makin' 'em any more, unfortunately. The left and rear back blind spots are wicked. Better mirroring would improve this.