2002 Mitsubishi Montero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero model:
Love It More Every Day!
By monterofamily on 08/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

A wonderful alternative to boring minivans, tiny SUV's, V8 SUV hogs. If this truck proves to be reliable in the long term it will be one of our best vehicle purchases. Great space, great luxury, greater style. A *true* 3rd row seat in every way. Styling and luxury of a more expensive car.

look no further
By DesertStorm AZ on 08/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I test drove ALL the SUV's, big and small, BMW, Merc Benz, Honda Pilot .... This one had the best bang for the buck! I like the dashboard, side opening rear door, the fold down 3rd seat, leather seats, and leg room. Living in Phoenix, the car really cools down quickly in the 100 + weather. It had the best "air" system. Standard is the 4AWD, 2WD,4WD. It doesn't feel like it will turn over like everyone has been saying. This has enough space without the feel of "driving your living room". Watch for holdbacks and discounts on this SUV. I did and got the price I wanted for the Limited.. under 36,000.. including tax!

Who would have thought?
By JGandHJ on 07/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My finace and I have always oo'd and ahh'd over this vehicle since the first time we saw one. Going strickly on appearances, we didn't think it was in our price range. After stopping by the dealership we were suprised at how affordable it was. We absolutely love it. Test drove the Trailblazer and no comparison. The build quality is far better on the Montero. The interior materials on the Trailblazer feel cheap and generic. The V6 on the Trailblazer is supposedly much more powerful but you could have fooled me. I've read the other reviews but see no reason for a more powerful engine. As for gas mileage, what do you expect for a huge SUV???

Better Than MY landcruiser
By bulldogger on 07/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Lease is ending on my 1998 Landcruiser and opted to buy a MONTERO lIMITED. Price of $35,150 before tax with the preferred package and interest rates of 1.9% for 72 months made this the easy financial choice. 200 miles and it's a better riding, quieter, and averaging better mileage than my Landcruiser. landcruiser had 28,000 miles on it, two electrical problems and many others problems. This Mitsubishi seems to have a better build quality, more comfortable, and way more storage with the disappearing third seat. Time will tell what type of quality is really there but for now I would rate it much higher than a Toyota.

needs a lift!
By larry ferguson on 07/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

had to have one body panel replaced...dealer took care of at no cost. lots of room/comfort. bought a 1 1/2" lift kit so as to not damage body trim. goes like a demon in the mud! could use a little more power...but gas mileage is very good for a vehicle this size. i would like to see a supercharger/turbo or a v-8 option. (mitsubishi is known for their turbos.) gps would be nice in the compass.

2002 Montero LTD, aka "Ozzy"
By asalini on 07/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We shopped around for 6 months before finding this great SUV. The only one my husband felt comfortable in (most others didn't give enough head room). We love everything it does.

Need more power
By chadski on 07/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Good vehicle but underpowered. The transmission needs to be quicker in response time in downshifting

Best one yet
By mburger on 06/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this truck, owed a jeep grand before and this is a world of difference. Runs beautifully.

You get more than what you pay
By Taha on 06/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I basically love the exterior, the interior, the way it drives and not to forget the worth of money I paid. IIt's a piece of luxury, sport and class. I recommend it.

Karate Mom's dream
By MN Mike on 06/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

A major reason we bought this vehicle over the competition is the financing available. This truck is a great suburban vehicle. In Minnesota, we get some slippery roads - I have started calling our Montero the "Billy Goat". Even on glare ice, the traction is phenominal - even in 2 wheel drive. When you slip it into 4 wheel, this thing seems to be able to tackle anything - we haven't even had it in 4 wheel with the transfer case locked. Road noise is a little high and it likes to visit gas stations but otherwise we really like this vehicle.