Used 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mitsubishi Montero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero model:

These are awesome!
By Rick

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Hi folks! These Monteros are really great SUVs! They are very stylish. We put 67K miles on ours without a single problem. Their seats are roomy & it is loaded with features. Some Hondas need tranny work, some Toyota engines have sludge issues, some Nissans need frequent sensors, but we have had Mitsubishis since 1983 & they are so trouble-free. The ride was choppy & unnerving though. Power is adequate if you don't tow, but underpowered a bit if you do. Mitsubishi is under appreciated & they build an outstanding vehicle!

Style! Wood grain, mesh, curves, great stereo. Lots of comfort features too.

Need a more stable ride. CONSUMER REPORTS RUINED THEIR CHANCES FOR SUCCESS BY SAYING THAT THESE WERE TIPPY. This was unfortunate but true. Improvements came in 2003. They really need at least 240 hp too.

Montero Limited
By L. Sandoval

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this Montero brand new. Zero mechanical problems to date. Good first time Japanese car owner experience. I would recommend this truck to anybody looking for a good reliable SUV in this category. Truck has not been to the dealer not even once for repairs or under warranty. Third row seat is good enough for the kids and nephews.

Stylish sporty look and interior design.

I wish it came standard with a navigation system.

Cheapest Luxury Looking SUV
By 1972corvette

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

You get a lot for the buck with the Montero Limited. I am a cheapskate. When shopping for SUVs, I wanted a Suburban but didn't want to pay $40,000. I purchased my Montero with 11,000 miles on it for only $26,000. My wife drove it daily and she never complained about anything with this vehicle. Let me tell you this is very hard to do with my wife. We had a 2000 Grand Cherokee prior to the Montero and it was horrible in comparison. All of the reviews are dead on. If you're looking for speed, don't buy a Montero. If your looking for a reliable SUV that looks a lot more luxurious than the sticker than this is for you. I am thinking about selling it right now, but what other vehicle am I going to get with all of this for $13,000?

The huge power moonroof is CRAZY big. We love all off the bells and whistles. The low cost!

Give it 260 HP and move third seat back a few inches.

My best SUV
By donwoj

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I now have 126,000 miles on my Montero Limited. I have not had a single problem with it. It is the most versatile vehicle I have ever owned. I need a good off road vehicle that is comfortable for my daily commute. The Montero is awsome off road. I put around 1,000 off pavement miles on it annually and it kicks butt. It was born to be driven in dirt, mud, and snow. It has great storage. I take the third seat out and use the compartment for storing camping and hunting gear year round. I can't get rid of it because it still feels new. My dilema is that they will quit making them after 2006. I made up my mind that I will always own one, but I guess Mitsubishi messed that up for me.

Its cargo and storage space are equal to a big Yukon or Expedition. Gas mileage of 17.5 per gallon - not bad for a big SUV. Big windows and moonroof provide excellent visibility

none

My Second Montero
By Curt

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I searchd for months before I decided on my 2002 Mitsubishi Montero. My 1995 Montie was totaled by a drunk. I was able to get the Limited model which has just enough features for me. I tow with it and use it in the New England snow. I also like that there are not a million of these on the road, at least not in the US.

the view from the driver's seat, durable leather (I have kids to test it), stow away 3rd row seat, style, and fun to drive. The Montero is not too wide for parking spaces. I have never had any problems with it.

Some say it doesn't have enough power, I have never needed more and it gets on the expressway just fine. Then again, I am not expecting it to be a sports car. I wish it had a rear locker, like my '95 model had. It made a diffence in deep snow, driving through snow banks and such. I wish it got 30 mpg lol.

• SUV