Used 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mitsubishi Montero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero model:

Montero Limited
By L. Sandoval

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this Montero brand new. Zero mechanical problems to date. Good first time Japanese car owner experience. I would recommend this truck to anybody looking for a good reliable SUV in this category. Truck has not been to the dealer not even once for repairs or under warranty. Third row seat is good enough for the kids and nephews.

Stylish sporty look and interior design.

I wish it came standard with a navigation system.

Dependability
By ray

2002 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love this vehicle. I have 167,000 miles on this vehicle. The only money spent was on general maintenance items. No break downs or repairs. The timing belt is supposed to be changed every 60,000 miles, but I changed after 90,000 miles and only once thus far.I change oil every 6,000 miles. it does seem to take about a quart of oil every 2,000 miles.I purchased this vehicle with 27,000 miles on it.

Sits up higher than many similar vehicles. Great radio. can be driven in very heavy snow without getting stuck. Lots of storage room.

Better gas mileage.(I get 17 miles to the gallon.)

overall great
By rick

2002 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Overall reliable, always gets me there. Only two mechanical problems costing less than $100. Very roomy.

I love my Montero!!
By Mary

2002 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Gas mileage is bound to be an issue with a vehicle this size, so I accept that. I was shopping for yet another minivan when I spotted this beauty at the dealership. I told the salesman,"If this comes with a third seat, I'll take it." Magically a third seat was produced from out of the floor! I piled all my kids inside and drove around town. I was instantly hooked. I've never had a vehicle that I loved like this: reliable, trouble-free, beautiful, rugged, and accommodating. You can't go wrong!

The third seat, the headroom, the comfy ride.

Parts and service are not available in my immediate area. I wish they'd improve that.

I'll be back!
By Grhythm

2002 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After all of the fright in 2001 and 2002 over reported SUV roll-overs, I found that Montero received higher than average ratings from the NHTSA tests, which are available on the agency web site. I was conviced, the commercial hype was not what I should be basing an auto purchase on. I have never regretted my decision. The Montero has exceeded my expectations in dependability, durability, comfort, maintenance costs, and safety systems. Although I've never crashed it, the brakes, lights, suspension and seat belts have given me no unusual issues. I have been completely satisfied with the truck. The engine, air conditioning, power roof and entertainment system still perform like new.

1. Engine performance is there when you need it. 2. Handles like a small vehicle, never sloppy. 3. Comfortable to drive or relax in. 4. Over-size moon roof brings the outdoors in. 5. Interior cabin space is great for hauling family, musical equipment, home improvment materials, etc.

1. Seat belt stem is too short and difficult to reach next to the center console. 2. Antenna mast is far too fragile. The mast becomes detached from the motor with minor contact from any obstacle.