2002 Mitsubishi Montero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero model:
Cheapest Luxury Looking SUV
By 1972corvette on 02/09/07 11:35 AM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

You get a lot for the buck with the Montero Limited. I am a cheapskate. When shopping for SUVs, I wanted a Suburban but didn't want to pay $40,000. I purchased my Montero with 11,000 miles on it for only $26,000. My wife drove it daily and she never complained about anything with this vehicle. Let me tell you this is very hard to do with my wife. We had a 2000 Grand Cherokee prior to the Montero and it was horrible in comparison. All of the reviews are dead on. If you're looking for speed, don't buy a Montero. If your looking for a reliable SUV that looks a lot more luxurious than the sticker than this is for you. I am thinking about selling it right now, but what other vehicle am I going to get with all of this for $13,000?

Great Vehicle, Great Value
By floridamonty on 11/08/06 06:34 AM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2002 Montero XLS used in Dec. 2005 and are coming up soon on a year of ownership. We love the way it drives and it has plenty of power to tow my 4,000 lb. trailer when we go camping. We looked at plenty of other SUVs, but the used cost of these are so low when compared that you really get a lot of bang for your buck on this. The bad news for me...my wife gets to drive it most of the time and I'm stuck with our 2dr SUV (though I'm actually in the process of looking for another used Montero to replace the 2dr SUV I have to drive).

My best SUV
By donwoj on 03/26/06 21:20 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I now have 126,000 miles on my Montero Limited. I have not had a single problem with it. It is the most versatile vehicle I have ever owned. I need a good off road vehicle that is comfortable for my daily commute. The Montero is awsome off road. I put around 1,000 off pavement miles on it annually and it kicks butt. It was born to be driven in dirt, mud, and snow. It has great storage. I take the third seat out and use the compartment for storing camping and hunting gear year round. I can't get rid of it because it still feels new. My dilema is that they will quit making them after 2006. I made up my mind that I will always own one, but I guess Mitsubishi messed that up for me.

My Second Montero
By Curt on 01/18/06 11:03 AM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I searchd for months before I decided on my 2002 Mitsubishi Montero. My 1995 Montie was totaled by a drunk. I was able to get the Limited model which has just enough features for me. I tow with it and use it in the New England snow. I also like that there are not a million of these on the road, at least not in the US.

The Best Truck Ever!
By krilugo on 01/13/06 23:45 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Mitsubishi Montero XLS on 01/2002 with 9 miles on it (what it took to drive it from the dealership to the gas station and back because they gave it to me full of gas!) I live in Tampa and have family and friends all over south florida that I visit all the time... this car has 60,000 milles on it now including off road miles (mud and beach baby) and I have never had to take it to the mechanic! I have never tried to hit the switch and have it not start, it has never left me in the stranded...not even for gas.

Wish I Had It Back
By Rodney on 01/07/06 22:38 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the Mitsubishi Montero Limited. The interior was very quiet and the ride was the smootest I have seen, except the Lexus LX 470 but at $30,000 with the price difference I chose the Monterro. I never regreted it. I recently replaced it with a 2004 Ford Freestar. It is a good van but it is no Montero. My wife and I really enjoyed it and plan to purchase a new one in the near future.

Just OK
By Ben on 06/26/05 19:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The 200HP engine is nonsense. When loaded with seven passengers it does not even accelerate. I am considering trading in for maybe the Isuzu Ascender or anything better.

Great Family SUV
By Montero Mac on 12/21/04 20:31 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very fun to drive! Quality is outstanding needs a bit more horsepower. If you are planning to tow a large boat or camper you'll be disappointed.Great taxi for moms.

my truck
By kiko69 on 06/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

good ride ,great family car,so far no problem , wish if give me more power when accelerating

The Car's Great!
By tnakaji on 05/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Although the motor company itself is in big trouble right now, it does not affect the quality of this car. It has been proven for years of challenges and glorious results in the Paris-Dakkar rally. The car's great!!!