2002 Mitsubishi Montero SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero model:
Quarter million and still truckin'
By fritzknaak on 10/10/11 13:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had to step up from a sedan back in '02 to handle kids. Got this and have never looked back. Seemed pricey at the time, with the full boat extra package I got, but I've never owned a vehicle in my life that's given me more value back in quality. I've burned through 5 sets of tires, more oil changes than I can count (it's now starting to take a quart every 5k or so). I've replaced bearings in the front on both sides and a muffler after 200k. I've used it hard and it keeps on trucking. I'll be crossing the 250k threshold in a month or so, God willing. I truly wish Mitsubishi was still making these. I'd get another in a heartbeat.

For some reason... we love this thing.
By Shifty on 11/17/09 17:24 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It's a lumbering, slow, hulking SUV - therefore, it's everything I should hate to see sitting in my driveway. As die-hard VW owners for many years, we never quite understood the SUV thing but always liked the Monteros we saw on the road. When our second child came along we wanted a vehicle that could carry our entire family plus luggage and/or friends, but it still had to be fun (read: capable off-road). Suddenly the SUV made sense and we bought a Montero. It's been a great truck and we plan on keeping it for years to come.

Love my Montero
By momof3 on 10/15/09 18:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Montero XLS for 6 years and I have never regretted my purchase. Today I have 3 kids currently in car seats and my oldest (age 6) sits in the 3rd row. Because the car seats in the 2nd row stay there permanently I let my son in and out using the rear door which has never been an issue. I love all the space especially the tall roof. It is perfect for my husband who is over 6 ft tall. He borrowed my truck today and as I admired it as it drive off I thought "Wow-I still love my truck!" It has 96000 miles on it and I have never had any mechanical problems ever! It has good pick up, it is a quiet ride, and has tons of storage when the third row is tucked away. I love it!

The best SUV out there
By Adrian on 04/25/09 10:38 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My dad had purchased this Montero Limited in silver and it was fully loaded with all the options. He really enjoys driving this car because it was his favorite car when he did his research. For me I love this SUV. If Mitsubishi would add a V8 then the gas mileage would be much worse. But since it's a V6 you can actually add parts to the engine to make it faster. The best thing about this Montero is the moonroof it has. It's very big and stylish. You can also add stepbars to make it better looking and much easier to get in. No problems. Mitsubishi did a nice job on the Montero. But the 2003 and newer look uglier now. Also you can and I recommend install an alarm with car starter.

These are awesome!
By Rick on 04/03/09 14:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Hi folks! These Monteros are really great SUVs! They are very stylish. We put 67K miles on ours without a single problem. Their seats are roomy & it is loaded with features. Some Hondas need tranny work, some Toyota engines have sludge issues, some Nissans need frequent sensors, but we have had Mitsubishis since 1983 & they are so trouble-free. The ride was choppy & unnerving though. Power is adequate if you don't tow, but underpowered a bit if you do. Mitsubishi is under appreciated & they build an outstanding vehicle!

Montero Limited
By L. Sandoval on 02/09/09 01:44 AM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this Montero brand new. Zero mechanical problems to date. Good first time Japanese car owner experience. I would recommend this truck to anybody looking for a good reliable SUV in this category. Truck has not been to the dealer not even once for repairs or under warranty. Third row seat is good enough for the kids and nephews.

Dependability
By ray on 05/09/08 10:38 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love this vehicle. I have 167,000 miles on this vehicle. The only money spent was on general maintenance items. No break downs or repairs. The timing belt is supposed to be changed every 60,000 miles, but I changed after 90,000 miles and only once thus far.I change oil every 6,000 miles. it does seem to take about a quart of oil every 2,000 miles.I purchased this vehicle with 27,000 miles on it.

overall great
By rick on 04/14/08 13:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Overall reliable, always gets me there. Only two mechanical problems costing less than $100. Very roomy.

I love my Montero!!
By Mary on 10/28/07 07:39 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Gas mileage is bound to be an issue with a vehicle this size, so I accept that. I was shopping for yet another minivan when I spotted this beauty at the dealership. I told the salesman,"If this comes with a third seat, I'll take it." Magically a third seat was produced from out of the floor! I piled all my kids inside and drove around town. I was instantly hooked. I've never had a vehicle that I loved like this: reliable, trouble-free, beautiful, rugged, and accommodating. You can't go wrong!

I'll be back!
By Grhythm on 07/30/07 13:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After all of the fright in 2001 and 2002 over reported SUV roll-overs, I found that Montero received higher than average ratings from the NHTSA tests, which are available on the agency web site. I was conviced, the commercial hype was not what I should be basing an auto purchase on. I have never regretted my decision. The Montero has exceeded my expectations in dependability, durability, comfort, maintenance costs, and safety systems. Although I've never crashed it, the brakes, lights, suspension and seat belts have given me no unusual issues. I have been completely satisfied with the truck. The engine, air conditioning, power roof and entertainment system still perform like new.