Used 2002 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mitsubishi Montero SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero model:

GREAT WEEKEND TRAIL GETTER
By Floyd Beutler

2002 Mitsubishi Montero SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car I have owned it a year now and no major issues just had to replaced one wheel bearing due to previous owner neglect. Will get out and go anywhere my buddys Jeep will.

Loving this truck!
By Peter Rosas

2002 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this 2002 Montero Limited with 115,000 miles on it, I have put 2000 miles on it so it now has 117,000 it was well taken care of, carfax didn't have a lot of info on it but inside the glove box there was a lot of info from the previous owner. That was my deciding factor. It's quite on the freeway, it has plenty of power to merge on the freeway, viability is also really good. The seats are comfortable too, and best of all the family is happy, my wife wants to steal it from me. It did have 2 manufacture recalls, one on the headlights and one for the gas tank if the vehicle should roll over. Both fixed by the dealer, I had them check out the suspension, shocks and everything else, they said it was all original but that everything was in perfect working order.
A lot of people complain about milage, and I will say it's not the best, but I'm good with it, especially with gas prices here in Phoenix at 221. for premium.
I'd buy it again.

200K NoProb.
By Lenny L.

2002 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased my monty a year ago with 190k miles. So far no issues. although I did update some features(Bluetooth radio, kicker speakers, BF Goodrich AT TKO2 tires) this vehicle is a bit under powered but personally it has enough.
I've towed vehicles, dug vehicles out of sand dunes, gone through sand , light mud, fishing. I've taken my monty in many adventures, not once have I told myself I needed another suv. She'll get you where you need to be. PERIOD.

Great for off roading & passenger riding too
By Klpm

2002 Mitsubishi Montero SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a good running car. Interior comfort is good but 3 row seat is tight for adults but grandkids fit ok. Love the off road capabilities. Have taken it places & have never had to use more than high 4. Gas mileage is not great. Average 15 miles around town. Overall look is a little quirky but there is excellent visability all around with no blind spots. Windows appear slightly larger than other SUVs. Too bad Mitsubishi quick making this model.

Quarter million and still truckin'
By fritzknaak

2002 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had to step up from a sedan back in '02 to handle kids.
Got this and have never looked back.
Seemed pricey at the time, with the full boat extra package I got, but I've never owned a vehicle in my life that's given me more value back in quality.
I've burned through 5 sets of tires, more oil changes than I can count (it's now starting to take a quart every 5k or so).
I've replaced bearings in the front on both sides and a muffler after 200k.
I've used it hard and it keeps on trucking.
I'll be crossing the 250k threshold in a month or so, God willing. I truly wish Mitsubishi was still making these. I'd get another in a heartbeat.

Lots of head room. Very comfortable ride. Nice curb appeal.

There not makin' 'em any more, unfortunately. The left and rear back blind spots are wicked. Better mirroring would improve this.