Used 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mitsubishi Montero - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mitsubishi Montero

View reviews for a specific Montero model:

Loving this truck!
By Peter Rosas

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this 2002 Montero Limited with 115,000 miles on it, I have put 2000 miles on it so it now has 117,000 it was well taken care of, carfax didn't have a lot of info on it but inside the glove box there was a lot of info from the previous owner. That was my deciding factor. It's quite on the freeway, it has plenty of power to merge on the freeway, viability is also really good. The seats are comfortable too, and best of all the family is happy, my wife wants to steal it from me. It did have 2 manufacture recalls, one on the headlights and one for the gas tank if the vehicle should roll over. Both fixed by the dealer, I had them check out the suspension, shocks and everything else, they said it was all original but that everything was in perfect working order.
A lot of people complain about milage, and I will say it's not the best, but I'm good with it, especially with gas prices here in Phoenix at 221. for premium.
I'd buy it again.

200K NoProb.
By Lenny L.

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased my monty a year ago with 190k miles. So far no issues. although I did update some features(Bluetooth radio, kicker speakers, BF Goodrich AT TKO2 tires) this vehicle is a bit under powered but personally it has enough.
I've towed vehicles, dug vehicles out of sand dunes, gone through sand , light mud, fishing. I've taken my monty in many adventures, not once have I told myself I needed another suv. She'll get you where you need to be. PERIOD.

Quarter million and still truckin'
By fritzknaak

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had to step up from a sedan back in '02 to handle kids.
Got this and have never looked back.
Seemed pricey at the time, with the full boat extra package I got, but I've never owned a vehicle in my life that's given me more value back in quality.
I've burned through 5 sets of tires, more oil changes than I can count (it's now starting to take a quart every 5k or so).
I've replaced bearings in the front on both sides and a muffler after 200k.
I've used it hard and it keeps on trucking.
I'll be crossing the 250k threshold in a month or so, God willing. I truly wish Mitsubishi was still making these. I'd get another in a heartbeat.

Lots of head room. Very comfortable ride. Nice curb appeal.

There not makin' 'em any more, unfortunately. The left and rear back blind spots are wicked. Better mirroring would improve this.

For some reason... we love this thing.
By Shifty

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It's a lumbering, slow, hulking SUV - therefore, it's everything I should hate to see sitting in my driveway. As die-hard VW owners for many years, we never quite understood the SUV thing but always liked the Monteros we saw on the road. When our second child came along we wanted a vehicle that could carry our entire family plus luggage and/or friends, but it still had to be fun (read: capable off-road). Suddenly the SUV made sense and we bought a Montero. It's been a great truck and we plan on keeping it for years to come.

-Reliable. -Unique styling. -AWESOME turning radius! Parks very easily. -Smooth shifting transmission -Quite capable off road! -Often mistaken for a brand new vehicle or luxury brand!

-Interior noise on highway is poor -Could use twice the power -Could use twice the brakes -Could use twice the handling prowess

The best SUV out there
By Adrian

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My dad had purchased this Montero Limited in silver and it was fully loaded with all the options. He really enjoys driving this car because it was his favorite car when he did his research. For me I love this SUV. If Mitsubishi would add a V8 then the gas mileage would be much worse. But since it's a V6 you can actually add parts to the engine to make it faster. The best thing about this Montero is the moonroof it has. It's very big and stylish. You can also add stepbars to make it better looking and much easier to get in. No problems. Mitsubishi did a nice job on the Montero. But the 2003 and newer look uglier now. Also you can and I recommend install an alarm with car starter.

LCD computer display, transmission 5 speed auto-manual, comfort, leather, exterior look, engine performance and much more...

Mitsubishi should have gave the Montero navigation system.