Used 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mitsubishi Montero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero model:

Quarter million and still truckin'
By fritzknaak

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had to step up from a sedan back in '02 to handle kids. Got this and have never looked back. Seemed pricey at the time, with the full boat extra package I got, but I've never owned a vehicle in my life that's given me more value back in quality. I've burned through 5 sets of tires, more oil changes than I can count (it's now starting to take a quart every 5k or so). I've replaced bearings in the front on both sides and a muffler after 200k. I've used it hard and it keeps on trucking. I'll be crossing the 250k threshold in a month or so, God willing. I truly wish Mitsubishi was still making these. I'd get another in a heartbeat.

Lots of head room. Very comfortable ride. Nice curb appeal.

There not makin' 'em any more, unfortunately. The left and rear back blind spots are wicked. Better mirroring would improve this.

For some reason... we love this thing.
By Shifty

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It's a lumbering, slow, hulking SUV - therefore, it's everything I should hate to see sitting in my driveway. As die-hard VW owners for many years, we never quite understood the SUV thing but always liked the Monteros we saw on the road. When our second child came along we wanted a vehicle that could carry our entire family plus luggage and/or friends, but it still had to be fun (read: capable off-road). Suddenly the SUV made sense and we bought a Montero. It's been a great truck and we plan on keeping it for years to come.

-Reliable. -Unique styling. -AWESOME turning radius! Parks very easily. -Smooth shifting transmission -Quite capable off road! -Often mistaken for a brand new vehicle or luxury brand!

-Interior noise on highway is poor -Could use twice the power -Could use twice the brakes -Could use twice the handling prowess

The best SUV out there
By Adrian

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My dad had purchased this Montero Limited in silver and it was fully loaded with all the options. He really enjoys driving this car because it was his favorite car when he did his research. For me I love this SUV. If Mitsubishi would add a V8 then the gas mileage would be much worse. But since it's a V6 you can actually add parts to the engine to make it faster. The best thing about this Montero is the moonroof it has. It's very big and stylish. You can also add stepbars to make it better looking and much easier to get in. No problems. Mitsubishi did a nice job on the Montero. But the 2003 and newer look uglier now. Also you can and I recommend install an alarm with car starter.

LCD computer display, transmission 5 speed auto-manual, comfort, leather, exterior look, engine performance and much more...

Mitsubishi should have gave the Montero navigation system.

These are awesome!
By Rick

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Hi folks! These Monteros are really great SUVs! They are very stylish. We put 67K miles on ours without a single problem. Their seats are roomy & it is loaded with features. Some Hondas need tranny work, some Toyota engines have sludge issues, some Nissans need frequent sensors, but we have had Mitsubishis since 1983 & they are so trouble-free. The ride was choppy & unnerving though. Power is adequate if you don't tow, but underpowered a bit if you do. Mitsubishi is under appreciated & they build an outstanding vehicle!

Style! Wood grain, mesh, curves, great stereo. Lots of comfort features too.

Need a more stable ride. CONSUMER REPORTS RUINED THEIR CHANCES FOR SUCCESS BY SAYING THAT THESE WERE TIPPY. This was unfortunate but true. Improvements came in 2003. They really need at least 240 hp too.

Montero Limited
By L. Sandoval

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this Montero brand new. Zero mechanical problems to date. Good first time Japanese car owner experience. I would recommend this truck to anybody looking for a good reliable SUV in this category. Truck has not been to the dealer not even once for repairs or under warranty. Third row seat is good enough for the kids and nephews.

Stylish sporty look and interior design.

I wish it came standard with a navigation system.