2002 Mitsubishi Montero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero model:
Quarter million and still truckin'
By fritzknaak on 10/10/11 13:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had to step up from a sedan back in '02 to handle kids. Got this and have never looked back. Seemed pricey at the time, with the full boat extra package I got, but I've never owned a vehicle in my life that's given me more value back in quality. I've burned through 5 sets of tires, more oil changes than I can count (it's now starting to take a quart every 5k or so). I've replaced bearings in the front on both sides and a muffler after 200k. I've used it hard and it keeps on trucking. I'll be crossing the 250k threshold in a month or so, God willing. I truly wish Mitsubishi was still making these. I'd get another in a heartbeat.

For some reason... we love this thing.
By Shifty on 11/17/09 17:24 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It's a lumbering, slow, hulking SUV - therefore, it's everything I should hate to see sitting in my driveway. As die-hard VW owners for many years, we never quite understood the SUV thing but always liked the Monteros we saw on the road. When our second child came along we wanted a vehicle that could carry our entire family plus luggage and/or friends, but it still had to be fun (read: capable off-road). Suddenly the SUV made sense and we bought a Montero. It's been a great truck and we plan on keeping it for years to come.

The best SUV out there
By Adrian on 04/25/09 10:38 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My dad had purchased this Montero Limited in silver and it was fully loaded with all the options. He really enjoys driving this car because it was his favorite car when he did his research. For me I love this SUV. If Mitsubishi would add a V8 then the gas mileage would be much worse. But since it's a V6 you can actually add parts to the engine to make it faster. The best thing about this Montero is the moonroof it has. It's very big and stylish. You can also add stepbars to make it better looking and much easier to get in. No problems. Mitsubishi did a nice job on the Montero. But the 2003 and newer look uglier now. Also you can and I recommend install an alarm with car starter.

These are awesome!
By Rick on 04/03/09 14:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Hi folks! These Monteros are really great SUVs! They are very stylish. We put 67K miles on ours without a single problem. Their seats are roomy & it is loaded with features. Some Hondas need tranny work, some Toyota engines have sludge issues, some Nissans need frequent sensors, but we have had Mitsubishis since 1983 & they are so trouble-free. The ride was choppy & unnerving though. Power is adequate if you don't tow, but underpowered a bit if you do. Mitsubishi is under appreciated & they build an outstanding vehicle!

Montero Limited
By L. Sandoval on 02/09/09 01:44 AM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this Montero brand new. Zero mechanical problems to date. Good first time Japanese car owner experience. I would recommend this truck to anybody looking for a good reliable SUV in this category. Truck has not been to the dealer not even once for repairs or under warranty. Third row seat is good enough for the kids and nephews.

Cheapest Luxury Looking SUV
By 1972corvette on 02/09/07 11:35 AM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

You get a lot for the buck with the Montero Limited. I am a cheapskate. When shopping for SUVs, I wanted a Suburban but didn't want to pay $40,000. I purchased my Montero with 11,000 miles on it for only $26,000. My wife drove it daily and she never complained about anything with this vehicle. Let me tell you this is very hard to do with my wife. We had a 2000 Grand Cherokee prior to the Montero and it was horrible in comparison. All of the reviews are dead on. If you're looking for speed, don't buy a Montero. If your looking for a reliable SUV that looks a lot more luxurious than the sticker than this is for you. I am thinking about selling it right now, but what other vehicle am I going to get with all of this for $13,000?

My best SUV
By donwoj on 03/26/06 21:20 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I now have 126,000 miles on my Montero Limited. I have not had a single problem with it. It is the most versatile vehicle I have ever owned. I need a good off road vehicle that is comfortable for my daily commute. The Montero is awsome off road. I put around 1,000 off pavement miles on it annually and it kicks butt. It was born to be driven in dirt, mud, and snow. It has great storage. I take the third seat out and use the compartment for storing camping and hunting gear year round. I can't get rid of it because it still feels new. My dilema is that they will quit making them after 2006. I made up my mind that I will always own one, but I guess Mitsubishi messed that up for me.

My Second Montero
By Curt on 01/18/06 11:03 AM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I searchd for months before I decided on my 2002 Mitsubishi Montero. My 1995 Montie was totaled by a drunk. I was able to get the Limited model which has just enough features for me. I tow with it and use it in the New England snow. I also like that there are not a million of these on the road, at least not in the US.

Wish I Had It Back
By Rodney on 01/07/06 22:38 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the Mitsubishi Montero Limited. The interior was very quiet and the ride was the smootest I have seen, except the Lexus LX 470 but at $30,000 with the price difference I chose the Monterro. I never regreted it. I recently replaced it with a 2004 Ford Freestar. It is a good van but it is no Montero. My wife and I really enjoyed it and plan to purchase a new one in the near future.

Just OK
By Ben on 06/26/05 19:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The 200HP engine is nonsense. When loaded with seven passengers it does not even accelerate. I am considering trading in for maybe the Isuzu Ascender or anything better.