Used 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mitsubishi Montero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero model:

Reliable
By Good Car

2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my car 6.5 years and put 135K miles on it. No major problems. In fact I really did not put any money into it until 125K with first tune up. At the same time it did overheat. I put in new water pump and thermostat. Mits paid for a new radiator. It has been cross country a few times and has done well. My model does not have heat/ac vents in back, bad idea when you have kids in the 3rd row. Now for the bad. It is terrible on ice even in 4 wheel drive. I have had it fishtail several times and in full spins twice on the freeway. I got lucky, did not hit anything. If this car was ever going to roll it would have been the last icy spin with a loaded storage container on top of the car.

Comfy ride. Reliable. I would really recommend if you do not live in icy areas.

Better on ice.

Best SUV I've ever owned
By RobDel

2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. I bought it with 52000 miles on it and it now has 122000 miles with out any major or minor repairs. Vehicle rides great, fun to drive, gets good gas mileage and is an all around great SUV. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone. In fact I will buy another one when I wear this one out.

Extra large sunroof, spacious interior and the outside body styling.

If anything maybe a few more creature comforts. Other than that it's great.

Fingers Crossed
By keithcitty@sbcglobal

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought a Montero Limited 4 wheel drive in '01 and besides the tire and brake wear we've been very pleased with the overall performance. I was shocked to read the other reviews and plan to keep a close eye on everything mentioned. Also, I did have a slight power problem but after some good fuel treatment it seems to have gone away.

I like the looks, style, comfort, and feeling that my wife and children are safe.

Beef up the brakes and do something with the suspension so that all the wheels don't all look crooked from behind. I think it causes premature wear on the tires.

Great Rig
By Greg

2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The Montero is a great vehicle for both highway and backroad camping and fishing trips. It does great in the snow. I added Michelin XZX tires and it rides superbly. Also keep my packasport up on the roof rack and so its ready to go anytime. My truck has 89,000 miles and its been one of the best vehicles that I've owned. I'd buy one again!

The ride. It takes me anywhere I've wanted to go. I love its good looks. Interior seats show no wear, unlike other vehicles with this mileage.

I can't think of any!

Great Vehicle
By DP

2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2001 Mitsubishi Montero to be a versitile vehicle to haul stuff, in all weather and on all surfaces. So far it has not let us down we have been through snow and ice and have towed a trailer all with ease.

I like that the vehicle is pretty basic. So many SUV's have so many features to go wrong that you really do not need. The Montero XLS has all the features you use and nothing that you do not need.

none