2001 Mitsubishi Montero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero model:
OK SUV, 12 mpg, Poor Mitsubishi Warranty Work
By Tundrapie on 01/31/05 01:43 AM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Major gripe first. My Montero had it's paint applied very poorly from the factory around the rear window. The dealer acknowledge the problem. Mitsubishi corporate though said since it was after the normal warranty period they would not be able to pay for a fix even though it was faulty workmanship from the factory. That cost me several hunder dollars to fix on my own. Frankly I wouldn't buy another Mitsubishi because of this. Moving on, this is a very fun SUV to drive offroad, but it is as slow as molasis on road. 5 speed auto helps up to 50 then it just crawls. Abysmal gas mileage. I'm a stickler for these things and mine gets 8 mpg city and 16 highway (22 mpg if I drive 55 mph!). Overall 12.

Happy with my '01
By dookie! on 10/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought an '01 XLS 4spd in 11/01 due to the rep. of earlier Monty's and a 0% loan. ~66k miles later despite a few faults I'm quite pleased. The bad: Needs more power. Towing ~3500lbs of car/trailer I'm thankful for climbing lanes! ~17mpg avg. w/OEM tires (~15 now w/265/75LT AT's). Excessive driveline lash. Plastic 'skidplates'. Resale is miserable, but I'll be keeping it. Local dealer network sucks. The good: Not a single problem (I'm diligent about maintenance). Brakes went ~55k and work very well (better w/aftermarket pads & fluid). Great ride and handling. Killer sunroof! *Very* capable offroad, but I've installed real skidplates, 2" OME lift, and tires

REPLACE SENSOR AND REAR HEATING PIPE
By CYRIL on 10/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

STARTED HAVING MINOR PROBLEMS FROM 25K MILES.AT ABOUT 55,000 MILES THE SUV BROKE DOWN. THE DEALER INFORMED ME HAT MY REAR HEATING HOSE BROKE CAUSING THE ANTIFREEZE TO WASTE CAUSING OVERHEATING AND ENGINE DAMAGE. SHORTLY BEFORE THE ENGINE SHUTT OFF, I INSPECTED MY THERMOSTAT DISPALY FOR ANY OF TROULBLE WITH OVERHEATING- EVERYTHING WAS NORMAL. THE THERMOSTAT HAD FAILED! MITSI DENIED MY CLAIM ON THE GROUND THAT EVEN THOUGH THE POWERTRAIN WAS COVERED, THE REAR HOSE PIPE THAT BROKE WAS NOT COVERED. MY MECHANIC DISCOVERED THAT MITSHI.USED A PLASTIC PIPE TO CONNECT THE REAR HEATING PIPE TO THE EVER-HOT RADIATOR. THUS ANY EXTENDED USAGE OF THE REAR HEATING WOULD NATURALLY CAUSE A DAMAGE. I AM SUEING

Are These Guys Kidding...?
By Truth or Consequence on 07/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Like many others, I fell in love with this vehicle at first sight; well, the exterior looks anyway. I have to say that after the exterior appearance, things appear to go down-hill in a hurry. I read several reviews & have to ask all those people, how can you provide a "performance" value of greater than "5", & then state that the vehicle is wholly underpowered? Yep, the gas mileage sucks a bit also, but to be expected in a 6,000 pound vehicle s'porting a whopping 200 HP engine! Breaks are substantially under- achievers if you consider all of the break replacements you'll need. Paint is also a problem. But the interior, that's another story & mostly good.

3 plus years old and kickin
By diverbob on 07/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this truck with 51k miles. It is in great shape. I was impressed that there are no rattles and sqeeks. The interior is easy to use and the seats are comfortable. We are very happy.

Good and Bad
By RickAS on 05/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Plush, loaded with features, good looking, but gutless, prone to premature tire wear, bad gas mileage.

2001 Montero LTD
By Frankfurter on 05/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Next to my old 1969 Porsche 911, and for obviously different reasons, the Montero LTD is maybe the nicest car I've owned. That comparison includes 3 Toyota 4-Runners - great cars but lacking the creature comforts of the Montero. Apart from a few factory recalls and a failed O2 sensor in the emissions system (ouch) this has run flawlessly for 39,000 miles and carried me comfortably all over south and central Texas where I drive in connection with my job. I have no complaints, a great car. Mitsubishi's Diamond Advantage program is the best, my quasi-lease runs out in February 05 and I am keeping this vehicle, just love it.

Look at other options
By treyfoxx on 05/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

When I first saw the 2001 Montero I loved the look. The new curves and the molding were very surprising. The interior was very nice as I expected. After driving it, I fell in love with the nice ride. It was also fun to have people take a double look at the SUV when they saw it riding down the road. After years of driving it, I must say that I still like it. Unfortunately, my liking to drive it is overshadowed by frequent visits to the dealer for repairs. With 60,000 miles, this vehicle has had two brakes jobs, five radios, and ten sets of headlights, just to name a few. Anyway, my point is, of the vehicles I have owned, this one is the most expensive to own.

kbza review
By kbza on 05/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

this vehicle adapts to every type of life... i got 2 years with this vehicle and i dont have any conplaints. good aceleration, can tow 5000 pounds, seven seats , gorgeous exterior and interior, excelent off road capabilities, great room for cargo... i love it....

My Montero
By Kory on 05/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The Montero is the perfect vehicle for any situation. It has provided me with all the requirements needed for driving an SUV. It has great off road capabilities and adapts to any environment very well. The interior is top quality and the special features are incredable.