Used 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mitsubishi Montero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero model:

Good SUV, but a few small things...
By bgov1

2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car at auction from someone who took very good care of it. bought with around 60-70k, now have 89k miles. Eats gas- on a long trip I got 14 mpg with the standard off road tires it comes with- which make for a rough, kind of loud ride. GREAT car in snow! Can plow through just about anything you give it. Great through mud, over logs, and some water! As another person mentioned, the front right bearing went out. The glove box comes loose and rattles around, especially in very cold weather. The headliner scratches VERY easily. and the seat belt clips that hold the belts in the third row (from banging around) break off VERY easily if you don't remember to take belts out.

Overall, GREAT car! handles amazing in almost every situation. Great ride height- wonderful for us in the front and dogs in the back seats. Huge cargo room with second row folded forward. If you need a great SUV- buy one.

Sound system could use improvement- I would add new speakers. do not buy one with the manual 4wd shifter (they changed this early on, so they may be rare)- they get jammed up with gunk during the winter. Running boards do not support a lot of weight, but look great. MPG could use major work.

4 YRS LATER AND SORRY
By SorryIboughtIT

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After researching for a second hand SUV, the Montero Limited came in 1st as having the "most bang for yer buck". I thought, "Mitsubishi, how could I go wrong?". Well, I have. Even though I purchased this car with an extended warranty (which has saved me thousands of dollars), this car has been to the dealer for just about everything that can go wrong on an automobile. At 80K miles, the engine blew. Some rare event where a part of the heater pipe breaks off while driving and all fluid is lost so fast that it doesn't show up on the thermostat. I replaced the engine at the dealer in 5/2009 and its since been back 8 times and broken down 3 times. Im not the only one, look online and you will see

Interior is quite good. Especially the wood trim steering wheel.

24 mpg
By jjtj

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased car w/64,000 miles.Miles are now 285,000. "I" get 19 mpg in the Mountains and 24 mpg on the highway. Drives soft and very little noise.I did have a problem w/a squeaking out of the front car that Mitsubishi refunded me for. Drives great in the snow. So, good that the one and only time that I did get stuck,the person who helped me out told me that I should put the car on 4 wheel drive. I thought it was on all the time.

Seat warmers, driver side cushion adjusters, ergonomics.

Love My Ride
By Swediemom

2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My Montero is great. I like that it rides more like a car than a truck. I like the V6 engine because it doesn't use as much gas. I sold a "Luxury SUV" so I could enjoy the Mitzi more. No mechanical problems. The "Luxury SUV drove rougher like a truck and often felt that it would flip, but the Mitzi doesn't. Good in snow in 4WD, but anti- lock brake could be improved for stopping on ice.

Headroom is good. Seats comfortable. Audio system okay.

More length adjustments for taller drivers. Had to have seat altered for more leg room. need better anti-lock brakes.

The BEST truck in the snow!!
By PHISH

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2001 Montero in 2005 w/42,000 miles on it. We just traded it in with 84000 miles because we just needed a change. It was the best truck I have ever had. Lots of room, comfortable ride, amazing in the snow, great ground clearance, great on the highway and the '01 seems like it's faster than an '05 I recently drove.The only major expensive was the timing belt at 70,000 miles but my ex. warranty picked it up. I would recommend this truck to anyone and would buy it again. If you're in the market for one... Don't let the miles on this truck fool you. I would buy one with 100,000 miles on it in a heartbeat.

Huge Sunroof, side windows pop open, 4WD option are amazing 4H, 4LLC and 4 low... incredible in the snow. Chrome option is a great touch on the side mirrors. Side mirror size. Folding seats. It's pretty quick for a heavy truck only having a v6. We took the 3rd row out and had tons of cargo are under flr.

Needs to be a V8. The plastic on the tire cover peels. The back door should swing open the other way. Gas mileage. Like I said we just traded ours in..... I have a picture of my Montero in my new truck..... We loved it!