2001 Mitsubishi Montero Consumer Reviews 2

2001 Mitsubishi Montero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero model:
This vehicle has too many problems
By Steve on 03/20/09 07:14 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Started having problems around 45,000 miles with the brakes but I spent money to have them fixed, just normal stuff I thought. Then with only 62,000 at 7 years I had to have the gas tank and hoses replaced. I called Mitsubishi corporate and they said "too bad" must be where I drive. This vehicle is garage kept and is driven only 6,000 miles a year. So I spent $2200 for a new tank, they said the old style metal ones rust that is why they switched to plastic. However the plastic would not fit mine so I have steel again. Now the oil pan is leaking and it will cost about $800 to fix. The mechanic at Firestone and others said they hardly ever replace gas tanks and oil pans on vehicles this new.

The best
By THE BEST on 08/26/08 14:40 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

At time of purchase we lived at 3800 feet in a ski resort and operated an inn. This vehicle served all purposes very well. In 42,972 miles I used 2529 gallons of 87 octane gasoline. That figures almost 17 mpg overall. Large moon roof was super for photography standing in rear seat area.

140k later
By Brian John on 06/01/08 18:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this with 17k on it, the dealer had replaced the brakes already. At the time it was the only 7 passenger SUV built on a car frame. It drives great but eats brakes and tires. Gas mileage is 18-22 with less aggressive road tires. I had an issue with the antifreeze disappearing because of a broken cheap plastic T that hooked up to the rear heat. This blew out the cam seals. Right front wheel bearings exploded under 100k. Overall, a good family truckster that should go another 150.

real 4x4
By Bob TN on 03/29/08 21:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Forget jeeps or land rovers, the Montero is better offroad than any car I've ever been in. The 3.5L engine coupled with its five speed auto gets 0-60 in 7 to 8 seconds. I have never had one single issue with it in 95,000 miles. great truck, with ultra low axle ratio, my Montero can light up tires in 2wd but only hovers around 12 and 16 mpg

Best Car I've ever owned
By Maryanne Mace on 12/01/07 11:43 AM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This has been the most dependable car I have ever owned. I will keep it till the wheels fall off.

Reliable
By Good Car on 09/16/07 05:13 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my car 6.5 years and put 135K miles on it. No major problems. In fact I really did not put any money into it until 125K with first tune up. At the same time it did overheat. I put in new water pump and thermostat. Mits paid for a new radiator. It has been cross country a few times and has done well. My model does not have heat/ac vents in back, bad idea when you have kids in the 3rd row. Now for the bad. It is terrible on ice even in 4 wheel drive. I have had it fishtail several times and in full spins twice on the freeway. I got lucky, did not hit anything. If this car was ever going to roll it would have been the last icy spin with a loaded storage container on top of the car.

Best SUV I've ever owned
By RobDel on 04/14/07 11:18 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. I bought it with 52000 miles on it and it now has 122000 miles with out any major or minor repairs. Vehicle rides great, fun to drive, gets good gas mileage and is an all around great SUV. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone. In fact I will buy another one when I wear this one out.

Fingers Crossed
By keithcitty@sbcglobal on 12/24/06 04:38 AM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought a Montero Limited 4 wheel drive in '01 and besides the tire and brake wear we've been very pleased with the overall performance. I was shocked to read the other reviews and plan to keep a close eye on everything mentioned. Also, I did have a slight power problem but after some good fuel treatment it seems to have gone away.

Great Rig
By Greg on 06/01/06 20:24 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The Montero is a great vehicle for both highway and backroad camping and fishing trips. It does great in the snow. I added Michelin XZX tires and it rides superbly. Also keep my packasport up on the roof rack and so its ready to go anytime. My truck has 89,000 miles and its been one of the best vehicles that I've owned. I'd buy one again!

Great Vehicle
By DP on 12/08/05 17:50 PM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2001 Mitsubishi Montero to be a versitile vehicle to haul stuff, in all weather and on all surfaces. So far it has not let us down we have been through snow and ice and have towed a trailer all with ease.