Used 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mitsubishi Montero SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero model:

10 years and running strong
By 01montero01

2001 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My family bought our 01 Montero used in 02 w/12k mi. My parents used it as a daily driver from 02-05. The bought a Pacifica in 05 and the truck stayed parked in the driveway for over a year. In 06 I turned 16 and got the truck as my first car.Ive gone from 46k mi to 143k mi in 6 yr. The only issues I had,the rear heater pipes explode and dump all the raidiator's contents onto the road. this can only happen 2 times bc new part is thicker. At 16 with no mechanical experience I replaced the broken pipes for the total of 17$ for both pipes. Also routine fixes for cars over 100k mi, Alternator & Timing belt and oil pump. Overall, very reliable fun 4x4 ok on gas 16 mpg avg. Love my MITSU

Exterior Looks, still looks new. Selectable 4x4 settings. Unstopable off road. Looks far more modern than a 2001 Range rover or Land cruiser.

Sub par interior quality, (scuffed headliner, cracking seats, chronic problem with the LCD display cutting out.) this car needs overdrive.

Excellent Vehicle!
By Mike

2001 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this SUV in 2005 for my wife as she liked the body style and size. Became my daily vehicle 1 year later. Purchased it with 64,000 miles and just buying another set of tires at 180,000!!! Have had minimal work done, mostly oil changes and basic maintenance. Use it mostly for business hauling clients to lunch and golf...excellent storage for long trips! Ride is great, could use new shocks now but all in all once this one meets it's end I will look for another one with at least 75,000 miles and drive it until it falls too...

Perfect size, great vehicle for hauling people and looks are great. Lots of compliments on styling and ride. Great on trips and in snow...

Improvements??? None that I can think of..maybe another one once mine hits 300k from the manufacturer..

Balanced 4x4 trail sleeper.
By Binder

2001 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second Montero limited I have owned. The first saved my life in a collision. Tough truck! I had no maintenance issues with the first truck, however, the cam did break on this one, and it cost nearly $3K to fix. Not a common problem though as I have not heard of anyone else having this issue. This vehicle is simply a perfect balance. The V6 is peppy though not a hot rod, gets decent fuel economy for a full size SUV. Can seat 7 if needed, or hold lots of cargo, and takes only seconds to go from cargo van to people hauler. Good quality replacements on the tires, and brake pads cure wear issues. Got 78K out of 1st set of tires, and about 40K out of brakes. I get 16 mpg city/21 HWY.

Easily deployed/stowed 3rd row seat. Large rear cargo door. Ext. styling. Very comfortable seating/heated seats. Sturdy construction! Surprisingly good handling off road. Better than most competitors, and better than it looks like it would.(that's the sleeper part.)

Start making the truck again! The Endeavor is cute, but just doesn't cut it. Design the lower molding/ground effects to be more trail friendly. The truck can go where the plastic can't.

4 YRS LATER AND SORRY
By SorryIboughtIT

2001 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After researching for a second hand SUV, the Montero Limited came in 1st as having the "most bang for yer buck". I thought, "Mitsubishi, how could I go wrong?". Well, I have. Even though I purchased this car with an extended warranty (which has saved me thousands of dollars), this car has been to the dealer for just about everything that can go wrong on an automobile. At 80K miles, the engine blew. Some rare event where a part of the heater pipe breaks off while driving and all fluid is lost so fast that it doesn't show up on the thermostat. I replaced the engine at the dealer in 5/2009 and its since been back 8 times and broken down 3 times. Im not the only one, look online and you will see

Interior is quite good. Especially the wood trim steering wheel.

24 mpg
By jjtj

2001 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased car w/64,000 miles.Miles are now 285,000. "I" get 19 mpg in the Mountains and 24 mpg on the highway. Drives soft and very little noise.I did have a problem w/a squeaking out of the front car that Mitsubishi refunded me for. Drives great in the snow. So, good that the one and only time that I did get stuck,the person who helped me out told me that I should put the car on 4 wheel drive. I thought it was on all the time.

Seat warmers, driver side cushion adjusters, ergonomics.