2001 Mitsubishi Montero SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero model:
10 years and running strong
By 01montero01 on 06/02/12 23:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My family bought our 01 Montero used in 02 w/12k mi. My parents used it as a daily driver from 02-05. The bought a Pacifica in 05 and the truck stayed parked in the driveway for over a year. In 06 I turned 16 and got the truck as my first car.Ive gone from 46k mi to 143k mi in 6 yr. The only issues I had,the rear heater pipes explode and dump all the raidiator's contents onto the road. this can only happen 2 times bc new part is thicker. At 16 with no mechanical experience I replaced the broken pipes for the total of 17$ for both pipes. Also routine fixes for cars over 100k mi, Alternator & Timing belt and oil pump. Overall, very reliable fun 4x4 ok on gas 16 mpg avg. Love my MITSU

Excellent Vehicle!
By Mike on 12/04/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this SUV in 2005 for my wife as she liked the body style and size. Became my daily vehicle 1 year later. Purchased it with 64,000 miles and just buying another set of tires at 180,000!!! Have had minimal work done, mostly oil changes and basic maintenance. Use it mostly for business hauling clients to lunch and golf...excellent storage for long trips! Ride is great, could use new shocks now but all in all once this one meets it's end I will look for another one with at least 75,000 miles and drive it until it falls too...

Balanced 4x4 trail sleeper.
By Binder on 09/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second Montero limited I have owned. The first saved my life in a collision. Tough truck! I had no maintenance issues with the first truck, however, the cam did break on this one, and it cost nearly $3K to fix. Not a common problem though as I have not heard of anyone else having this issue. This vehicle is simply a perfect balance. The V6 is peppy though not a hot rod, gets decent fuel economy for a full size SUV. Can seat 7 if needed, or hold lots of cargo, and takes only seconds to go from cargo van to people hauler. Good quality replacements on the tires, and brake pads cure wear issues. Got 78K out of 1st set of tires, and about 40K out of brakes. I get 16 mpg city/21 HWY.

4 YRS LATER AND SORRY
By SorryIboughtIT on 02/16/10 21:25 PM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After researching for a second hand SUV, the Montero Limited came in 1st as having the "most bang for yer buck". I thought, "Mitsubishi, how could I go wrong?". Well, I have. Even though I purchased this car with an extended warranty (which has saved me thousands of dollars), this car has been to the dealer for just about everything that can go wrong on an automobile. At 80K miles, the engine blew. Some rare event where a part of the heater pipe breaks off while driving and all fluid is lost so fast that it doesn't show up on the thermostat. I replaced the engine at the dealer in 5/2009 and its since been back 8 times and broken down 3 times. Im not the only one, look online and you will see

24 mpg
By jjtj on 02/05/10 09:44 AM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased car w/64,000 miles.Miles are now 285,000. "I" get 19 mpg in the Mountains and 24 mpg on the highway. Drives soft and very little noise.I did have a problem w/a squeaking out of the front car that Mitsubishi refunded me for. Drives great in the snow. So, good that the one and only time that I did get stuck,the person who helped me out told me that I should put the car on 4 wheel drive. I thought it was on all the time.

The BEST truck in the snow!!
By PHISH on 03/24/09 14:19 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2001 Montero in 2005 w/42,000 miles on it. We just traded it in with 84000 miles because we just needed a change. It was the best truck I have ever had. Lots of room, comfortable ride, amazing in the snow, great ground clearance, great on the highway and the '01 seems like it's faster than an '05 I recently drove.The only major expensive was the timing belt at 70,000 miles but my ex. warranty picked it up. I would recommend this truck to anyone and would buy it again. If you're in the market for one... Don't let the miles on this truck fool you. I would buy one with 100,000 miles on it in a heartbeat.

The best
By THE BEST on 08/26/08 14:40 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

At time of purchase we lived at 3800 feet in a ski resort and operated an inn. This vehicle served all purposes very well. In 42,972 miles I used 2529 gallons of 87 octane gasoline. That figures almost 17 mpg overall. Large moon roof was super for photography standing in rear seat area.

140k later
By Brian John on 06/01/08 18:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this with 17k on it, the dealer had replaced the brakes already. At the time it was the only 7 passenger SUV built on a car frame. It drives great but eats brakes and tires. Gas mileage is 18-22 with less aggressive road tires. I had an issue with the antifreeze disappearing because of a broken cheap plastic T that hooked up to the rear heat. This blew out the cam seals. Right front wheel bearings exploded under 100k. Overall, a good family truckster that should go another 150.

real 4x4
By Bob TN on 03/29/08 21:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Forget jeeps or land rovers, the Montero is better offroad than any car I've ever been in. The 3.5L engine coupled with its five speed auto gets 0-60 in 7 to 8 seconds. I have never had one single issue with it in 95,000 miles. great truck, with ultra low axle ratio, my Montero can light up tires in 2wd but only hovers around 12 and 16 mpg

Fingers Crossed
By keithcitty@sbcglobal on 12/24/06 04:38 AM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought a Montero Limited 4 wheel drive in '01 and besides the tire and brake wear we've been very pleased with the overall performance. I was shocked to read the other reviews and plan to keep a close eye on everything mentioned. Also, I did have a slight power problem but after some good fuel treatment it seems to have gone away.

1 2 3 4 5 next »