2001 Mitsubishi Montero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero model:
10 years and running strong
By 01montero01 on 06/02/12 23:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My family bought our 01 Montero used in 02 w/12k mi. My parents used it as a daily driver from 02-05. The bought a Pacifica in 05 and the truck stayed parked in the driveway for over a year. In 06 I turned 16 and got the truck as my first car.Ive gone from 46k mi to 143k mi in 6 yr. The only issues I had,the rear heater pipes explode and dump all the raidiator's contents onto the road. this can only happen 2 times bc new part is thicker. At 16 with no mechanical experience I replaced the broken pipes for the total of 17$ for both pipes. Also routine fixes for cars over 100k mi, Alternator & Timing belt and oil pump. Overall, very reliable fun 4x4 ok on gas 16 mpg avg. Love my MITSU

Excellent Vehicle!
By Mike on 12/04/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this SUV in 2005 for my wife as she liked the body style and size. Became my daily vehicle 1 year later. Purchased it with 64,000 miles and just buying another set of tires at 180,000!!! Have had minimal work done, mostly oil changes and basic maintenance. Use it mostly for business hauling clients to lunch and golf...excellent storage for long trips! Ride is great, could use new shocks now but all in all once this one meets it's end I will look for another one with at least 75,000 miles and drive it until it falls too...

The BEST 4WD
By cntrytrans on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutely LOVE my Montero. It has been the best car I've ever owned. It does awesome in the snow and ice and it climbs like a goat! I wouldn't be afraid to take it anywhere. We also own a Dodge 4WD and a Toyota 4WD but for winter driving in the columbia gorge, I always use the Montero. I feel very protected and safe in it. I have replaced the right hub assembly twice in it and also the computer board in the dash (temp gauge said it was overheating but it really wasn't). Even with those little problems, I still wouldn't trade it for any other SUV, it's THAT good!

Balanced 4x4 trail sleeper.
By Binder on 09/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second Montero limited I have owned. The first saved my life in a collision. Tough truck! I had no maintenance issues with the first truck, however, the cam did break on this one, and it cost nearly $3K to fix. Not a common problem though as I have not heard of anyone else having this issue. This vehicle is simply a perfect balance. The V6 is peppy though not a hot rod, gets decent fuel economy for a full size SUV. Can seat 7 if needed, or hold lots of cargo, and takes only seconds to go from cargo van to people hauler. Good quality replacements on the tires, and brake pads cure wear issues. Got 78K out of 1st set of tires, and about 40K out of brakes. I get 16 mpg city/21 HWY.

Good SUV, but a few small things...
By bgov1 on 07/06/10 14:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car at auction from someone who took very good care of it. bought with around 60-70k, now have 89k miles. Eats gas- on a long trip I got 14 mpg with the standard off road tires it comes with- which make for a rough, kind of loud ride. GREAT car in snow! Can plow through just about anything you give it. Great through mud, over logs, and some water! As another person mentioned, the front right bearing went out. The glove box comes loose and rattles around, especially in very cold weather. The headliner scratches VERY easily. and the seat belt clips that hold the belts in the third row (from banging around) break off VERY easily if you don't remember to take belts out.

4 YRS LATER AND SORRY
By SorryIboughtIT on 02/16/10 21:25 PM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After researching for a second hand SUV, the Montero Limited came in 1st as having the "most bang for yer buck". I thought, "Mitsubishi, how could I go wrong?". Well, I have. Even though I purchased this car with an extended warranty (which has saved me thousands of dollars), this car has been to the dealer for just about everything that can go wrong on an automobile. At 80K miles, the engine blew. Some rare event where a part of the heater pipe breaks off while driving and all fluid is lost so fast that it doesn't show up on the thermostat. I replaced the engine at the dealer in 5/2009 and its since been back 8 times and broken down 3 times. Im not the only one, look online and you will see

24 mpg
By jjtj on 02/05/10 09:44 AM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased car w/64,000 miles.Miles are now 285,000. "I" get 19 mpg in the Mountains and 24 mpg on the highway. Drives soft and very little noise.I did have a problem w/a squeaking out of the front car that Mitsubishi refunded me for. Drives great in the snow. So, good that the one and only time that I did get stuck,the person who helped me out told me that I should put the car on 4 wheel drive. I thought it was on all the time.

Love My Ride
By Swediemom on 01/28/10 22:58 PM (PST)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My Montero is great. I like that it rides more like a car than a truck. I like the V6 engine because it doesn't use as much gas. I sold a "Luxury SUV" so I could enjoy the Mitzi more. No mechanical problems. The "Luxury SUV drove rougher like a truck and often felt that it would flip, but the Mitzi doesn't. Good in snow in 4WD, but anti- lock brake could be improved for stopping on ice.

The BEST truck in the snow!!
By PHISH on 03/24/09 14:19 PM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2001 Montero in 2005 w/42,000 miles on it. We just traded it in with 84000 miles because we just needed a change. It was the best truck I have ever had. Lots of room, comfortable ride, amazing in the snow, great ground clearance, great on the highway and the '01 seems like it's faster than an '05 I recently drove.The only major expensive was the timing belt at 70,000 miles but my ex. warranty picked it up. I would recommend this truck to anyone and would buy it again. If you're in the market for one... Don't let the miles on this truck fool you. I would buy one with 100,000 miles on it in a heartbeat.

This vehicle has too many problems
By Steve on 03/20/09 07:14 AM (PDT)

2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Started having problems around 45,000 miles with the brakes but I spent money to have them fixed, just normal stuff I thought. Then with only 62,000 at 7 years I had to have the gas tank and hoses replaced. I called Mitsubishi corporate and they said "too bad" must be where I drive. This vehicle is garage kept and is driven only 6,000 miles a year. So I spent $2200 for a new tank, they said the old style metal ones rust that is why they switched to plastic. However the plastic would not fit mine so I have steel again. Now the oil pan is leaking and it will cost about $800 to fix. The mechanic at Firestone and others said they hardly ever replace gas tanks and oil pans on vehicles this new.