2000 Mitsubishi Montero - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.5L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (12 reviews )
Former Montero
By Trey Lemons on 11/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Montero 4dr SUV 4WD

I had just bought the Montero with the endeavor package from a used dealer to take up to see my fiance for our wedding. While I was driving it around on the freeway I was stuck in the normal Va beach traffic at an exit ramp when a big rig (18 wheeler) came down the hill and ran straight into me from the back. If I was in a smaller vehicle I wouldn't be here saying how wonderful this vehicle is! It is totaled to say the least but I survived with only some stitches and staples. I think this is a great vehicle and I'd definitely want another!

great ride
By katscheid on 04/16/10 08:21 AM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Montero 4dr SUV 4WD

I have both a Montero (Endeavor model) and a Suburban. Love my Montero and it's 3 years older than the Chevy. Hope to keep it for at least 5 more years. Switched Yokos. to Michelins and the turning improved greatly. Love the leather interior and heated seats. Cup holder is ridiculous, but I LOVE this car. As good as or better than my Honda Accord as far as reliability.

BEST VALUE
By CChil on 01/02/10 07:36 AM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Montero 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned many SUV's: Nissan, Toyota, GMC, Isuzu then this one. It's been a great vehicle for me as a single mom offering value, room (7-passenger seating), comfort and excellent reliability. At 160K miles (now remarried) my husband wanted me in something newer, but I would have been glad to keep driving it until it just fell apart. The paint still shines, the interior has held up well considering all that my children put it through. Maintain it and it will love you back. BTW, I didn't trade it in, I couldn't let go and I'm not one to get emotional about vehicles.

Mitsubishi Montero Endevor
By 2000 Mitsubishi on 04/27/06 17:39 PM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Montero 4dr SUV 4WD

The Montero Endevor was the top of the line for the full sized Montero. It came loaded. It has a full frame and is a true off road vehicle. Although we never drove it off road, it can handle the worst of snow storms any snow belt can offer. Even though a full off road vehicle, its ride is very comfortable, and doesn't beat up the passengers. It has pleanty of room for seven yet is not so large, making parking easy. After 77,000 miles the Montero Endevor looks like the day it was bought, and has had no problems - not even minor problems except one. Some or the original trim screws have had to be replaced with stainless steel screws because of rust developing on them.

Nice Look---wish it was a smoother ride!
By AlisaAnn on 08/03/05 12:41 PM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Montero 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our 2000 Montero used in 2003. I loved the way that it looked, people mistake it for a Land Rover. And it rode very nicely. But over time, the ride has become more rough. I just put new tires on it thinking that would give me a smoother ride, but it really hasn't, and my mechanic cannot find any reason for it to be riding so rough. But I do still love the way that it looks, and we have had no major mechanical problems--the only thing we've done in 2 years, besides the routine maintenance of course, is have the brakes worked on, and replaced the tires. All in all it has been a good car.

Solid and a "real" SUV
By PacNWdriver on 02/04/05 17:35 PM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Montero 4dr SUV 4WD

I did a lot of research on this one before buying and it is by far the most reliable aside the Toyota Land Cruiser, just as capable and much more affordable. The track record of the Montero speaks for itself when it comes to reliability. I traded a Land Rover Discovery for it and the Montero is by far a better SUV, inside and out. The 4 wheel drive is similar to LR with the locking differential, but much easier to engage and disengage than the LR. The exterior design of the 2000 year is a unique one-of-a- kind and a cross between the old and new style (2001+). It is still truck like, but is one of the most capable SUV's off road and on. Plenty of light and fresh air from the huge moonroof too.

an experience
By mark reyes on 03/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Montero 4dr SUV 4WD

the montero is really fun to drive. it does not give me problems and is fuel efficient. i like thee way it hugs the road even on rainy days. indeed the montero is one hell of a suv.

TRADING HER IN
By 3 YEAR OWNER on 04/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Montero 4dr SUV 4WD

NO PROBLEMS, JUST NORMAL MAINTENANCE REQUIRED. ENJOYING HER STILL BUT HAVE TO TRADE IN FOR NEWER VEHICLE. CUP HOLDERS WELL PLACED BUT CHEAP(MINES BROKE). VERY COMFORTABLE BUT 2ND SEATS ARE UNIQUELY DESIGNED THAT A BABY SEAT FITS WEIRD.

Soild, yet unrefined
By City on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Montero 4dr SUV 4WD

Soild vehicle. No high and no lows. Eats brakes due to its weight. Brakes always seem to feel soft. OEM tires are a joke, the Yokahamas make the Montero seem even more top heavy because they don't support the vehicle in turns very well. I upgraded to Goodyear Forteras and it make quite a bit of difference.

Three Diamonds - still in the rough!
By endeavor2000 on 06/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Montero 4dr SUV 4WD

Desgined in Australia for the outback, the Montero has come a long way. The Japanese haven't learned how to make big vehicles. This is my second Montero in 11 years. The first one lasted 10 years, and my friend still drives it. For the price of this SUV, I admit that there are other SUVs that are better in look, fit and feel. But, I do think the Montero can outlast them with basic maintenance.