Used 1999 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mitsubishi Montero - Consumer Reviews

1999 Mitsubishi Montero SUV

Base 3.5L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (6 reviews )

2nd Gen Pajero is the best 4wd Montero.
By defenderone

1999 Mitsubishi Montero SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I have to consciously analyze this 4wd vehicle on all weather & terrain condition & use the appropriate Super Select 4wd to give an honest, without kidding myself review. It is AWESOME!! Believe me coming from an 05 Jeep TJ, I love everything about this Pajero, Montero whatevero! Comfy on the rockies like your on hoola hoops. You have to know the limits, yeah! or else you'll be swimming up or yelling Geronimoooooo!!

Favorite Features

Super Select on the fly center locking diffs 4WD. Mine has the wide fender flares also my fave. Ahh! what the hell, the whole Montero is my favorite.

Suggested Improvements

Improvements? that I did. lifted it 2", KYB shocks, Geolandar tires, forged wheels, Hella fogs, removed the 2nd & 3rd rows for less wt., Recaro front seat like the Evolution. Next is TURBO!!

Mint 1999 Montero To Replace My 1991
By Mr. Montero

1999 Mitsubishi Montero SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I put 235,000 miles on my '91 Montero. Sold it in 2009 due to rust but it still ran good with excellent Michelins on it. It went to a good home and the guy who bought it drives it daily. The '99 Montero is a definite step up from the '91. Had to put Bilstein shocks and John Baker Performance Products heavy duty springs on the back of the '91 to keep it tight. The '99 has hydraulic adjustable shocks. The '91 3L engine was underpowered. The '99 3.5 L 24 valve engine takes care of that. Larger wheels on the '99. Intended to have my 16-year-old drive the '99. But while driving it the 430 miles home from the dealership I had to keep it and find her something else.

Favorite Features

3 L 24 valve engine, hydraulic adjustable shocks, suspension, 13 grease fittings on the front end just like the '91, rain gutters, super grade leather seats, final year of the platform with bowed-out fenders around wheel wells and integrated running boards functional to keep debris down.

Suggested Improvements

Make the third row jump seats easily removable (not just flip up to the sides) for maximum cargo capacity.

The Best Vehicle Ever!
By Stone

1999 Mitsubishi Montero SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned many vehicles over the years (more than 20 cars/trucks). This is, by far, the best vehicle EVER created for my needs. There has not been one mechanical/electrical issue with the truck; and I use it! I've camped IN it during heavy rains; the seats can fold down into a comfy bed. I've packed 3 adult bikes in the back without taking the wheels off, it's hauled over 1,000 lbs. of flagstone in the back. I've gone well into the woods without roads, hauling two kayaks and a canoe on top. And, cleaned-up, it is the sportiest/sexiest/manly-non-soccer-Mom vehicle one could want. They must have built mine wrong because I get 20 city and 26 hwy. I've checked it over and over. True 22 mph ave.

Favorite Features

Real 4x4, cargo height! (I can't find a new vehicle as all are made for short-wide people now), heated leather, real gauges, huge moon roof, towing, comfort, Infinity sound system, looks, and fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Bring this version back!!!!!!! PLEASE!! The only thing I would change is have a separate hanger for the full-size spare - the extra weight affects the hinges over time.

A Land Cruiser at Fraction of the Price
By quandarypeak

1999 Mitsubishi Montero SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I finally began shopping for a new vehicle this month, but have been reluctant to spend the $40-50k it would take to equal what I already have paid for in this '99 Montero with all the options. Well-built, reliable, all the comforts, more room than most ... and with a little care, it still looks new, despite occasional the high alpine adventures! I looked at an '05 Toyota Land Cruiser today. My Montero is same size, most features (except DVD navigation) and I paid less than 60% of what the Cruiser goes for. Good value all around. Hard to part with this good buy.

Favorite Features

High-end leather, wood trim and creature comforts inside ... but the 4x4 transmission and spirit that have often won the grueling Paris-Dakkar rally!

Suggested Improvements

Great torque, towing capacity and rock climbing ability. Could use just a little more punch in on-road mountain climbs. Otherwise ... great vehicle.

its all that i whanted
By zeezo

its a perfect car

Favorite Features

the way it looks

Suggested Improvements

a turbo