1997 Mitsubishi Montero SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero model:
Great SUV for under $5K
By az66bug on 10/25/13 15:27 PM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this Montero 2 years ago after doing allot of research for a reliable SUV for under $5K; this was one of 5 suggested. I didn't want something big like a Expedition or small like a Escape and this fit the bill. It had 141,000 miles and I knew it would need some money for maintenance items like timing belt, etc. I only paid $3800.00 so had room to do these repairs. Although I did have a cooling issue that turned out to be the radiator, overall I am happy with this Montero. It's a 3rd vehicle that I bought for hauling around the dogs and Home Depot runs that I drive allot more just because it's pretty fun to drive and simplistic in nature, which I like.

SUV for under $5K
By az66bug on 08/05/13 09:02 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this 1997 Montero (full-size) LS 2 years ago after a ton of research on a GOOD SUV under $5K. I never heard of this SUV until I was researching and overall I'm impressed keeping in mind this is a 16yr old SUV. I knew my requirements and knew I had to get the Montero under $5K if the timing belt wasn't replaced recently. I found one locally with under 150,000 mile (141,236 to be exact). I had quite a bit of Maintenance work done, timing belt/water pump first, then within 6 months all the fluids and filters replaced. This is my 3rd car and is only driven about 5k miles annually. Although I've put some work into this Montero it's a rough tough SUV; truck like feel.

Amazing vehicle
By j-toocheap on 10/29/11 19:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Montero SUV SR 4dr SUV 4WD

We were given this truck with 315,000 miles on it by a family member. We have had the truck for about 6 months and have put an additional 6,000 miles on it without incident. The truck drives like it is new and has a ton of power. The truck is a workhorse, having towed a camper many miles around the U.S. The previous owner was meticulous with maintenance and changed the oil with synthetic oil every 5,000 miles. The truck is from the south and still looks immaculate. We get lots of compliments when people see it for the first time and no one can believe that it has so much mileage on it.

Great, until you need parts
By Coffee on 01/17/10 17:03 PM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Love the truck in winter! Looks good and is holding up well except for a bolt walking out and bending out from the crank shaft to the harmonic balance. I almost had to replace the entire engine if they couldn't get the bolt out. Wish it were better on gas. It's a six, but sucks gas like an 8.

Best car I've ever owned
By slver on 11/21/09 15:10 PM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this car! I bought it new in 97 and I’m so happy it’s lasted. It’s reliable, very little repair, small stuff, but mainly the typical brake and tire service required for midsize trucks. Living in Southern California, I mostly drive town and freeway but also some off-road in the mountains - nice to have during our heavy rains. At 100,000 miles, my mechanic says I’ve only half used up the engine so here’s looking at another happy 12 years!

Best Auto I've Owned
By BD on 12/10/08 20:17 PM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Montero SUV SR 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned my Montero for almost 4 years and I still love it! I take it everywhere: in the snow, sand, mountains, and on long road trips (2,000 miles+). Never had a problem, with proper care it will last another 30 years. The strength of the Montero is better than anything I have seen. Almost impossible to damage.

Never Disappoints Me
By JHW on 07/11/08 10:59 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Montero SUV SR 4dr SUV 4WD

This SUV is so good I just can't get rid of it. There is no legit reason for me to sell it and it won't die. Why pay tens of thousands of dollars on a newer SUV when this one is so solid and performs just the same? It's indestructible!

Big Bang for the Buck !!!!
By Brian on 10/13/07 13:51 PM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We use this vehicle everyday. 160,000 miles and still going strong. 7psg seating for when you need it. Tows my boat and trailer perfect.

Great Truck
By Patrick on 08/15/07 10:52 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

This is a great truck. I drive it to school everyday and back, go hunting and off-roading in it and it holds up very nicely. The locking differentials really add 4-wheel drive power. Nice interior, extremely modular in the way you can flip up the seats. This truck is better in my opinion without the optional jump seats. The engine is very capable and very quiet.

1997 Mitsubishi Montero
By nomoremits on 01/12/06 15:16 PM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Montero SUV SR 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the second Full-size Montero I've owned. The first was a '95 LS that was terribly unreliable and incredibly expensive to fix...I thought perhaps it was a lemon and took a chance on a '97 with the larger 3.5 engine. What a mistake that was. Except for the terrible gas mileage (the best I could get babying it on the highway was 16 mpg), the truck performed well until it got to about 85,000 miles. Since then it has had: a blown head gasket, 5 alternators, 3 batteries, a water pump, and camshaft seals. In addition to the mechanical issues the electronic mirrors, remote entry, and antenna have given up the ghost. This truck is a rolling electrical nightmare. Steer well clear of this brand. I know I will.