Used 1996 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Mitsubishi Montero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero model:

Ron of Montgomery Alabama
By Ron Sutton

1996 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Was used primarily for road travel with a load of product and brochures for Sales and Marketing for all DoD, Federal and State Government sales of computers and computer related equipment for a seven year period. It was an office on wheels. It never failed me or let me down in any way. Unfortunately my supporting Mitsubishi dealership closed in Montgomery, AL. I have had to let some things go for lack of a competent and trustworthy repair facility. I am having to take the vehicle to different repair facilities for different types of maintenance requirements. I'm due for a timing belt change and have found a recommended facility finally. I'm ordering most of the parts myself.

Favorite Features

Easy to drive. Great road visibility. Absolutely reliable. Great sound and CD changer. Comfortable seats for long hauls. Not the quickest, but it a comfortable mule for hauling and pulling. 4 wheel drive levels are easy to use and work great.

Suggested Improvements

Don't try to make a workhorse a pretty racehorse. You can't please everyone, so don't try. I don't like the newer unitized body SUVs at all. I currently have a vehicle that has never let me down. The roof could be made stronger and the rubber supports tend to come unglued. Less noisy wipers.

My Favorite Car to Date
By jim

1996 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

What can I say? Hmmm, this was one of the best vehicles I ever owned. I hate to part with it, but it is time. I have not put much into the car except tires and batteries over the years. The paint has held up well and is still as shiny as the day I purchased it. I will miss my old friend.

Favorite Features

Sun roof, storage under the seats, 20 plus MPG on the freeway and 17 around town. Great AC and heat.

Suggested Improvements

Front armrests too short to be used. Drink holder in console is too small for water bottles.

'96 Montero - a True Offroad Vehicle
By Bob Britz

1996 Mitsubishi Montero SUV SR 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this 1996 at three years old and 45,000 miles. It now has 175,000 miles and I have no vision to sell it. Approximately 23,000 of my 130,000 miles driven have been off road in the Sierra Nevada, Inyo, and Death Valley areas. Not light offroad, but 4WD locking hubs off road required stuff. I've changed the oil every 3,000 miles and had only one major repair when a part of the intake plenem broke off and caused internal valve damage. The car gets a consistent 15 mpg and has never left me stranded due to it's advanced 4WD dual locking hubs (a rare item on any SUV today) and its capacity radiators and transmission coolers. Mitsubishi outfitted this truck perfectly - not for soccer moms.

Favorite Features

The mid-body sunroof, locking hubs all around, high rev - high torque engine, consistent gas mileage at 15 mpg, full bench style seating in the rear, short nose front end for rock climbing, real skip plates and real off road rims at 15" - none of this tame SUV stuff on almost all cars following it.

Suggested Improvements

The rear seat arm rests dig into passengers' backs when a third person is added. The third row seats are impractical. They're only good for short trips. The rear door hinge catch is sometimes faulty holding the door when the truck is at an angle. The rear bumper is a little flimsy (I've repaired or replaced four times).

Best Car We've Ever Owned
By 8YR Montero Owner

1996 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I really regret selling this car. We had it for 8 years and it was the best, most reliable, most comfortable vehicle we have ever owned. It worked flawlessly, and only ever had very minor problems with it. I would highly recommend a Montero to anyone, and am considering buying another. The vehicle I replaced it with just doesn't come close to the Montero. It's very capable both off road and on. I've driven this back and forth from Los Angeles to Vancouver multiple times as well as used it for a daily commuter. I can't say enough good things about this car. If you're in the market for an SUV put the Montero on your short list.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable even with cloth interior. Roomy, can hold 7 passengers and loads of gear. Amazing stereo. Most reliable car I've ever had.

Suggested Improvements

Make the rearmost seats completely removeable. In their folded-up state they can block your view of other vehicles when you do a shoulder check. The simple solution to this is to fold the backs down and leave the seats on the floor.

Great Example of Japanese Quality
By CarGuyandConsumer

1996 Mitsubishi Montero SUV SR 4dr SUV 4WD

The Montero SR is the best SUV that I have ever owned. It feels solid in everything that it does. The 4 wheel drive system has NEVER failed me, and I live on the mountain side hills of snow country. Durring the winter, going down snow covered hills/roads can be even more difficult than going up, but my montero has never failed. Low range gearing is excellant and has amazing holding power. The locking differentials make driving up icy hills a breeze. The adjustable suspension helps improve vehicle controll on winding roads at high speeds (put it in hard mode).

Favorite Features

The 4 wheel drive system makes this car. If it weren't there, there would be no reason to buy it. It is the best feature besides the power mode and toolkit/flashlight in the back.

Suggested Improvements

MITSUBISHI! The windshield slope makes severe wind noise when driving at high speeds. Also, the side mirriors need to be redesigned so that they don't make so much wind noise.