Used 1995 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Mitsubishi Montero - Consumer Reviews

1995 Mitsubishi Montero SUV

View reviews for a specific Montero model:

Going, and going, and still going.....
By monterobaby

1995 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 1995 Montero LS with 200,000 and still going strong. Oil leak and timing belt fixed, purrrsss like a kitten. Awesome rig in the winter! Also pulls jet ski's in the summer! I NEVER want to get rid of it...EVER!!

Favorite Features

4x4, traction, roomy, hauls anything

Suggested Improvements

would have made the wheel base wider

Good value
By monterofan

1995 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I've only owned my 95 Montero for a year and have been quite satisfied. I really appreciated the roomy interior, the fold up rear seats, and the low-end torque. It climbed steep muddy hills like crazy. It was bit top heavy so you didn't want to get too sideways with it but it definitely earned its keep off-road. I put on a new timing belt, new alternator (fouled from leaking oil, I think), fixed the oil leaks at the cam seal and put on some beautiful 31x10.5 Bighorns. Very nice, looked sharp, and did what I asked it to do. Just sold it this last week because of fuel prices. Sorry to see the 14-15 mpg in town. 18-19 on the highway was okay. At $4/gal. it was tough to justify.

Favorite Features

Roomy, climbed well, ran well, looked sharp. Seemed solid. Not much rattling for a 16 y.o. suv.

Suggested Improvements

cheap power door locks (failed)

Cannot Replace
By Urban

1995 Mitsubishi Montero SUV SR 4dr SUV 4WD

This car was bought as a leftover demo with 2000 miles on it. It now has over 240,000 trouble free miles. Keeping it away from the dealer has been the key. It has only needed tires, fluids, one battery and brakes all of which I have done myself. After 220,000 miles, I got a bolt-on hitch and started towing with it with no problem. It is still my everyday driver and has never let me down.

Favorite Features

Power and torque are excellent. Very comfortable on long trips. Great visibility. Looks like a tank and handles like a car.

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius could be better. Fit with more readily available tire size.

Monty Lover
By Jed

1995 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Ok, I am the 2nd owner of this Monty. Bought it with 40k on it and now have about 150k! It's been an awesome and reliable truck! It's got a lot of character both with regards to interior and exterior. Its an awesome offroad truck and handles well in the snow. Gas mileage is decent for a truck of its size but its no hybrid! 15/18 mpg. I've driven this truck since 01 and will likely continue until it dies!

Favorite Features

Cool boxy safari look. Nice interior with old school rounded instruments. Built-in tool box on back door. Compass and temp gauge.

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back!

Monty's Review
By Franknfreud

1995 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Ok, i bought this truck in 2001 with 40K on it. I'm the 2nd owner of this truck and will probably drive until planet earth suffers the heat death! I now have about 150K on her and its been a reliable truck, only the typical maintenance (timing belt, brakes, alternator etc.). I have of course taken care of this truck, and the owner before me clearly did as well, so that has a lot do with while its still running. It seems from looking at these reviews that people have generally had good luck with monteros, but there will always be someone who had a bad experience. The montero is a real SUV capable of doing serious off roading and its got a nice classic truck look. I love it! MPG 15/19

Favorite Features

It looks awesome, like a real truck and not a minivan-spaceship.

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back!