1995 Mitsubishi Montero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero model:
Going, and going, and still going.....
By monterobaby on 11/04/11 12:53 PM (PDT)

1995 Mitsubishi Montero LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 1995 Montero LS with 200,000 and still going strong. Oil leak and timing belt fixed, purrrsss like a kitten. Awesome rig in the winter! Also pulls jet ski's in the summer! I NEVER want to get rid of it...EVER!!

Good value
By monterofan on 05/28/11 18:35 PM (PDT)

1995 Mitsubishi Montero LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I've only owned my 95 Montero for a year and have been quite satisfied. I really appreciated the roomy interior, the fold up rear seats, and the low-end torque. It climbed steep muddy hills like crazy. It was bit top heavy so you didn't want to get too sideways with it but it definitely earned its keep off-road. I put on a new timing belt, new alternator (fouled from leaking oil, I think), fixed the oil leaks at the cam seal and put on some beautiful 31x10.5 Bighorns. Very nice, looked sharp, and did what I asked it to do. Just sold it this last week because of fuel prices. Sorry to see the 14-15 mpg in town. 18-19 on the highway was okay. At $4/gal. it was tough to justify.

Cannot Replace
By Urban on 12/11/08 07:48 AM (PST)

1995 Mitsubishi Montero SR 4dr SUV 4WD

This car was bought as a leftover demo with 2000 miles on it. It now has over 240,000 trouble free miles. Keeping it away from the dealer has been the key. It has only needed tires, fluids, one battery and brakes all of which I have done myself. After 220,000 miles, I got a bolt-on hitch and started towing with it with no problem. It is still my everyday driver and has never let me down.

Monty Lover
By Jed on 10/07/08 08:19 AM (PDT)

1995 Mitsubishi Montero LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Ok, I am the 2nd owner of this Monty. Bought it with 40k on it and now have about 150k! It's been an awesome and reliable truck! It's got a lot of character both with regards to interior and exterior. Its an awesome offroad truck and handles well in the snow. Gas mileage is decent for a truck of its size but its no hybrid! 15/18 mpg. I've driven this truck since 01 and will likely continue until it dies!

Monty's Review
By Franknfreud on 10/06/08 13:44 PM (PDT)

1995 Mitsubishi Montero LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Ok, i bought this truck in 2001 with 40K on it. I'm the 2nd owner of this truck and will probably drive until planet earth suffers the heat death! I now have about 150K on her and its been a reliable truck, only the typical maintenance (timing belt, brakes, alternator etc.). I have of course taken care of this truck, and the owner before me clearly did as well, so that has a lot do with while its still running. It seems from looking at these reviews that people have generally had good luck with monteros, but there will always be someone who had a bad experience. The montero is a real SUV capable of doing serious off roading and its got a nice classic truck look. I love it! MPG 15/19

Reliable - Off Road Classic
By Dave on 04/04/08 19:20 PM (PDT)

1995 Mitsubishi Montero SR 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased my Montero new 13 years ago - have 210,000 miles on it now and have driven it all over the western states from New Mexico and Colorado to Canada and Alaska and I love this SUV. There is not another vehicle that can get to all the rivers that I like to fish. And I know, I own an auto repair business and have looked for a vehicle to replace this one and can't find it. My wife drives a '99 Land Cruiser that we like, but it isn't as good at getting into the remote country. Have had normal problems with parts (antenna, timing belt, etc.) but the entire drive train is original and still working great. LS model with 3.0 is underpowered but SR with 3.5 DOHC provides decent power.

Never failed me.
By Pat Picard on 11/09/07 13:59 PM (PST)

1995 Mitsubishi Montero SR 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 95 Montero with 50,000 miles on it and knew from the start it was a good vehicle. I already had a 90 model (and still do). I drive the 90 to work each day save the 95 for the weekends. Over the past 10 years the only expense has been a timing belt and plugs. I now have 151,000 miles and runs great.

Living with the Monty for 70k
By Boiling Bag on 06/30/07 13:56 PM (PDT)

1995 Mitsubishi Montero LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We got the Monty with 80k miles and now have just passed 150k. It is a well made, good performing vehicle for mountain areas. If you put the superwinch manual hubs on, and use synthetic oil it will get 20 mpg on the highway doing 70 while running the air, over and over again. With good tires, it is very stable and well mannered in the snow, no big surprises, with good visibility. Remember to change the timing belt, and check the engine oil level. This is our second monty, and both used oil at about 1 qt. every 1.5k miles, but do not smoke, I suspect it is normal. A little long for serious off roading, but it will get you just about anywhere you need to go.

Old Faithful
By Mtnboy35 on 11/02/05 10:26 AM (PST)

1995 Mitsubishi Montero SR 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this truck. I have always liked Monteros, but have never really found one to call my own. This all changed August 16th of this year when I took delivery of "Sam" my Montero. It is a great truck. I love the looks, power, and overall comfort. I was immediatly sold by the view of traffic affored by the high stance. It is very reliable and extremly comfortable. I live in the mountains and I can assure you that these trucks will go just about anywhere (that's if you have the nerve). I love the looks. My truck is a 1995 SR dressed in Sable Black with Warms Springs Silver trim. With chrome rims, a brush guard, and loads of other cool features it really turns heads. Again this is a very nice truck!

So far so good
By Nikki on 10/15/05 22:54 PM (PDT)

1995 Mitsubishi Montero LS 4dr SUV 4WD

So far it's OK. I love the ride, it's not too shabby. It seems to run well, it has 106,000 miles on it, but I haven't had it long so I have my fingers crossed. In the past I have had great luck with Mazda and Nissan and am hoping for the same with this. I once had a Jeep Cherokee, much to my dismay. I am really enjoying my Montero's tall feel and head space. The pickup is slow, but it gets there. I like the upright firm seating, the moonroof / slider, compass, 3rd seat and the looks.