Used 1992 Mitsubishi Montero SUV Consumer Reviews - 1 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Mitsubishi Montero SUV - Consumer Reviews

1992 Mitsubishi Montero SUV

View reviews for a specific Montero model:

Owner of a Gen2 Montero
By Callan Campbell

1992 Mitsubishi Montero SUV SR 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had my 1992 Mitsubishi Montero for 3 years now. It's worked out very well for our family as a dog hauler, people mover, furniture mover, etc. I've spent much less in repairs and maintanence on it than I did with our 1994 Land Rover Range Rover, but we expected that. I had the infamous smoking exhaust/worn valve stem seals occur during my second year of ownership, but simply replacing all of them with new seals cured that completely. I'd buy the truck again if I had too, so that probably is the best review I could give.

The overall reliability, ease of use, and good visability. The shift-on-the fly four wheel drive system works well once you've mastered it. The HVAC system is rugged, simple, and works well. It has hidden storage pockets everywhere, a setable door check for the rear tailgate is great on windy days or on hills.

Since the Montero is already onto the Generation 3 of its life, and that series is about to leave Mitsubishi, there's not much to say except that I hope whatever replaces the Montero model line lives up to the heritage and pride that the earlier Monteros, Generations 1, 2, and 3 brought to the truck division.