Used 1991 Mitsubishi Montero LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Mitsubishi Montero - Consumer Reviews

1991 Mitsubishi Montero

View reviews for a specific Montero model:

Love this SUV like no other!
By gayle and mike

1991 Mitsubishi Montero LS 4dr SUV 4WD

When we bought our first Montero in 1989 we were so thrilled with everything about it! People would actually stop us and ask what type of vehicle it was. Unfortunately, a few years later we were involved in an accident which totaled our beloved SUV. Remarkably we suffered not one injury...the car was amazing in how it protected us. Ended up with our 91 immediately after. We still have this car and we are now giving it to our 16 year old son to drive to school. Have had no problems EVER with this vehicle. Today we had new shocks put on and a new stabilizer bar. All windows, ac, original radio etc. are all still working fine. Had a problem with the horn once...will drive this Monty to her death!

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive...roomy interior...simple design...high head space...large sun roof...love the bouncy driver seat!

Suggested Improvements

At the time purchased wouldn't have been able to think of any improvements for this wonderful SUV....maybe more leg room in the front seats!

I love my Montero!
By Safari Woman

1991 Mitsubishi Montero LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Well 151K miles later and she's still running. The A/C quit last week (bad in Florida) and the blinkers stopped blinking yesterday. I bought her in 2002 w/ 102K. I've just had so much fun, I'd love to keep her running forever. I actually got upset that I had to start shelling out some money for repairs in 2004, but DUH..it had 120K and was 13 yrs by then! Sadly I think her time is nearing. In the 6 years of ownership, I only had it not start on me ONCE! Geez what am I thinking, why am I considering a new vehicle? I love this SUV. Oh yeah I remember now, it's not cheap to get them fixed!

Favorite Features

The running boards and the power SUNROOF. The fact that it looks like a Safari vehicle. (I even put the leopard seat covers on) Power everything, way ahead of its time

Suggested Improvements

Unfortunately just too expensive to fix at this point and the insurance rates on it are high because it is a "senior vehicle"

when SUV's were worth something
By old school 4x4

1991 Mitsubishi Montero LS 4dr SUV 4WD

after owning many 4x4's, this 91 monty is my favorite of all of them. it's unpretentious, get-down-to- business approach and style are the best. it's everything the newer "gen- x" SUV's (like the Xterra, etc) wanna be. amazingly reliable. 4x4 system is unstoppable. this winter i have pulled an explorer & two blazers out of the snow, and last summer my LAND ROVER GOT STUCK IN THE MUD & the monty pulled it out! the air ride drivers seat is great on my back, and the cargo and cabin area make anything do- able and haulable. manual transmission makes it fun and less sluggish. up to 33" tires can fit without modifications!

Favorite Features

4x4 system, reliability, versatility.

Suggested Improvements

isn't it too late since the vehicle is 13 years old??

Life in the Box
By full monty

1991 Mitsubishi Montero LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Have enjoyed 2.5 years with a LS Montero. This is one of the few import vehicles that has enough interior room where I feel comfortable (6'3'). Very practical, have driven on 2000+ mile road trips twice and it has never let me down. This is my daily driver and it used to tow a boat frequently. There is a design flaw with the steering gearbox - very common and expensive repair ($500-$800) but chances may be pretty good this has already been replaced on the earlier models. Love the truck. Has been both a workhorse and earns Range Rover wanna be respect around town for a fraction of the price.

Favorite Features

4-wheel drive system The large sun roof And I must admit I like the styling (or lack there of)

Suggested Improvements

The power window switches reside on the driver's door panel directly where my left knee rests - the result is often I will accidently roll down rear windows while driving.

10 years with a Montero LS
By gordone

1991 Mitsubishi Montero LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We purchased the car 10 years ago, used with 3,000 miles on it. During the 10 years our experience has been generally good. Steering box failed at 60,000 miles ($800), dealer said not unusual. Original exhaust lasted 9.5 years, but cost $900 at the dealer. Other failures: year 5 - two power window controls failed ($125 each for parts); year 1-cruise control sometimes turns off when directionals are used (dealer unable to find problem); year 6 air conditioning failed ($900 to repair with no guarentee it would be fixed (dealer price)); year 6 - FM radio and cassette failed, replacement lasted only 2 years.

Favorite Features

Open boxey trunk with a rear seat that folds down easily. Good for transporting large items. Excellent in snow. Engine has been great, requiring very little maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better rust protection, better dealer support (there are only one or two dealers in central Massachusetts), more reasonable replacement parts prices, improved reliability in electrical systems.