Used 1990 Mitsubishi Montero LS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Mitsubishi Montero SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero model:

My Third Monty
By Frumious

1990 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my third and oldest Montero. I trust the brand to buy a 20 year old copy with 160,000 miles. Everything works like new. Its 143 horses must be Clydesdales. The view through the tall windows is commanding. Only drawbacks (others mention these): Driver's seat does not go back quite far enough and radio controls are far below the dash. Gas mileage is fair. It helps to know where to get parts. A junk yard or one of several online forums will keep this truck going at least another five years. There are lots of prior Montero owners out there who come up to the car and smile.

Formal angular design. Narrow width fits in parking spaces easily. Lots of gauges including the unique inclinometer. The engine always purrs. Heavy duty 4X4 system is indestructible. The driver's "bus-driver" seat bounces. Yahoo!

Install cup holders (it doesn't come with any!). Put radio controls on the steering wheel.

1989 Montero LS
By Steve

1990 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I am the third owner of this Montero LS. It has 205000 on it as of this week and it can still take off from the line. I bought this truck to use in winter since my main car is my baby and I don't like to drive it in snow. I drive the truck daily now from autumn til summer and it is great. The truck was in no way properly maintained by its previous owner but still runs like a peach. I will be doing pretty much a full engine and electrical rebuild in summer of 09 and will do some things to the surface rust to make the truck look like new.

Driving position, I can see everything going on. Love the low end torque I have a 3.5in intake on it and if I push it it will spin tires if wet it will spin all 4. The 4x4 system is amazing I have had more issues in a 1999 F-250 snow driving than this.

Gas mileage could be better. Other than that can't complain much.

A Reliable Rig
By Hungry Man

1990 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

This is a very reliable SUV. I bought it used with 44K miles and it now has 175K. The only repair I've made was for valvue cover oil leaks and the starter. The first tune up was done at 100k. It burns about a quart of oil every 1K miles now. A great rig for a responsible driver.

Reliable. Comfortable seats. Paint is in great condition.

The interior trim is very japanese and looks lame.

Montero 1990 LS
By

1990 Mitsubishi Montero SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We are the orginal owners...now have 224,000 miles. Engine rebuilt once, new rings, new head, 3rd oil pump. Works like brand new now, saving it to give to our 16 year old son. This is the only car he has known...Have been to Quebec twice in the past two years in it. It is very tough built and reliable

Sits up high for a commanding view of traffic. This was the SUV before Ford/Chevy or anybody knew what SUV's were!

Better Crosswind stability/vibration of doors....and cupholders would be nice..Availablity of parts for older Mitsubishi cars and to fix radio that was OEM...unable to fix now unless I buy a brand new one for $1500.00 from Japan...replaced for $500 a Kenwood that plays cd/tape/radio

Montero