1990 Mitsubishi Montero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero model:
Going Going Going
By Carl on 10/23/09 18:40 PM (PDT)

1990 Mitsubishi Montero RS 4dr SUV 4WD

Back in 1989 around october I saw this montero RS with 5 speed 4 door silver in color at the dealer. Got a great deal. 17,500 that was new, 20 years ago. Will I buy another Montero? YES this thing will not DIE!!! Have about 438,000 miles. The body has no rust, the paint so so, parts 2 clutch one fly wheel, one transmission at 365000, other than this just small parts.

My Third Monty
By Frumious on 10/18/09 01:28 AM (PDT)

1990 Mitsubishi Montero LS 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my third and oldest Montero. I trust the brand to buy a 20 year old copy with 160,000 miles. Everything works like new. Its 143 horses must be Clydesdales. The view through the tall windows is commanding. Only drawbacks (others mention these): Driver's seat does not go back quite far enough and radio controls are far below the dash. Gas mileage is fair. It helps to know where to get parts. A junk yard or one of several online forums will keep this truck going at least another five years. There are lots of prior Montero owners out there who come up to the car and smile.

1989 Montero LS
By Steve on 01/25/09 21:38 PM (PST)

1990 Mitsubishi Montero LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I am the third owner of this Montero LS. It has 205000 on it as of this week and it can still take off from the line. I bought this truck to use in winter since my main car is my baby and I don't like to drive it in snow. I drive the truck daily now from autumn til summer and it is great. The truck was in no way properly maintained by its previous owner but still runs like a peach. I will be doing pretty much a full engine and electrical rebuild in summer of 09 and will do some things to the surface rust to make the truck look like new.

Good Bye Old Friend
By RPH on 06/19/07 16:59 PM (PDT)

1990 Mitsubishi Montero RS 4dr SUV 4WD

I drove this SUV off the lot new in June of 1990. It's the only vehicle my two teenage daughters can remember me owning. Original manual clutch, original engine w/ 250,000 plus miles. Still runs but needs an engine rebuild. Replaced the computer once due to the idle servo motor shorting out. That was a $1000 fix and the most costly repair today. I just purchased the new Toyota FJ Cruiser after 17 years. Only time will tell if it can endure as well as the Montero. Hate to see old faithful go.

The Last of the Great SUVs
By Dfro on 08/29/05 10:17 AM (PDT)

1990 Mitsubishi Montero RS 4dr SUV 4WD

I am the original owner and have enjoyed my 1990 Montero so much I just put in a new "factory" interior. The vehicle has 197,000 miles on it. It is quite difficult to find OEM interior trim parts. Someone should start a salvage yard for 82-91 Monteros so we will always be able to find parts.

I sold it too soon.
By JMichel on 09/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mitsubishi Montero 4dr SUV 4WD

Sold it at a 165,000 miles. Started looking for a new SUV and began to regret selling it. Never had a problem with it. Only normal maintenance, and maybe brakes wearing too soon, burns a little oil. Always started. NEVER left me on the highway stranded. Could use more guts up highway hills, but it's top end is great. Also could use more driver leg room. Fits well in compact car spaces for so much int. cubic ft.

This generation of Monteros is the best
By not available on 08/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mitsubishi Montero 4dr SUV 4WD

The Montero that I own which is a 1990 has over 160000 miles on it. It is still going and I love it. I drive it everyday. I put a third row seat in the Montero, but removed it because I needed the HUGE truck for cargo. It you are in need of a 4X4 SUV under $5,000, this is it.

A Reliable Rig
By Hungry Man on 10/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mitsubishi Montero LS 4dr SUV 4WD

This is a very reliable SUV. I bought it used with 44K miles and it now has 175K. The only repair I've made was for valvue cover oil leaks and the starter. The first tune up was done at 100k. It burns about a quart of oil every 1K miles now. A great rig for a responsible driver.

Absolutely love this car
By djf on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mitsubishi Montero SP 2dr SUV 4WD

This is my 4th one! I love this car! I was a real estate broker living outside the states and this car was great for showing property off of dirt roads. They still make the 2 door; they just don't import it into the states. The "box" (older) version is better because it has real Bumpers! Looking for one in mint condition.

So Cal Bakersfield Review
By Niles200 on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mitsubishi Montero 4dr SUV 4WD

I have not had any problems with this vehicle whatsoever. I have over 120,000 miles on it, and have spent less than $500 in repairs on it, outside of oilchanges and regular maintenance.