Used 1990 Mitsubishi Montero Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Mitsubishi Montero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero model:

Going Going Going
By Carl

1990 Mitsubishi Montero RS 4dr SUV 4WD

Back in 1989 around october I saw this montero RS with 5 speed 4 door silver in color at the dealer. Got a great deal. 17,500 that was new, 20 years ago. Will I buy another Montero? YES this thing will not DIE!!! Have about 438,000 miles. The body has no rust, the paint so so, parts 2 clutch one fly wheel, one transmission at 365000, other than this just small parts.

Fun to drive.

Chang the power to Diesel.

My Third Monty
By Frumious

1990 Mitsubishi Montero LS 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my third and oldest Montero. I trust the brand to buy a 20 year old copy with 160,000 miles. Everything works like new. Its 143 horses must be Clydesdales. The view through the tall windows is commanding. Only drawbacks (others mention these): Driver's seat does not go back quite far enough and radio controls are far below the dash. Gas mileage is fair. It helps to know where to get parts. A junk yard or one of several online forums will keep this truck going at least another five years. There are lots of prior Montero owners out there who come up to the car and smile.

Formal angular design. Narrow width fits in parking spaces easily. Lots of gauges including the unique inclinometer. The engine always purrs. Heavy duty 4X4 system is indestructible. The driver's "bus-driver" seat bounces. Yahoo!

Install cup holders (it doesn't come with any!). Put radio controls on the steering wheel.

1989 Montero LS
By Steve

1990 Mitsubishi Montero LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I am the third owner of this Montero LS. It has 205000 on it as of this week and it can still take off from the line. I bought this truck to use in winter since my main car is my baby and I don't like to drive it in snow. I drive the truck daily now from autumn til summer and it is great. The truck was in no way properly maintained by its previous owner but still runs like a peach. I will be doing pretty much a full engine and electrical rebuild in summer of 09 and will do some things to the surface rust to make the truck look like new.

Driving position, I can see everything going on. Love the low end torque I have a 3.5in intake on it and if I push it it will spin tires if wet it will spin all 4. The 4x4 system is amazing I have had more issues in a 1999 F-250 snow driving than this.

Gas mileage could be better. Other than that can't complain much.

Good Bye Old Friend
By RPH

1990 Mitsubishi Montero RS 4dr SUV 4WD

I drove this SUV off the lot new in June of 1990. It's the only vehicle my two teenage daughters can remember me owning. Original manual clutch, original engine w/ 250,000 plus miles. Still runs but needs an engine rebuild. Replaced the computer once due to the idle servo motor shorting out. That was a $1000 fix and the most costly repair today. I just purchased the new Toyota FJ Cruiser after 17 years. Only time will tell if it can endure as well as the Montero. Hate to see old faithful go.

Inclinometer - a real conversational piece! Love the engine. Height, headroom and body all top notch.

Heavier material for the front seats. Worn but no splits.

The Last of the Great SUVs
By Dfro

1990 Mitsubishi Montero RS 4dr SUV 4WD

I am the original owner and have enjoyed my 1990 Montero so much I just put in a new "factory" interior. The vehicle has 197,000 miles on it. It is quite difficult to find OEM interior trim parts. Someone should start a salvage yard for 82-91 Monteros so we will always be able to find parts.

Sunroof and 5-speed manual transmission.

The front driver seat does not go back far enough. Radio could have been mounted higher and have a real scan feature.