92000 miles later
By combattracker5 on
2004 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)
Outstanding 4WD! My 4th one, will keep this one until the wheels fall off. Unbelieveably reliable and extremely low maintenance costs to date. Has had much off road use and almost all rural highway miles. The newer SUVs are much more energy efficient and comfy, but this is one tough, reliable vehicle. Maybe that is why they are so popular at Ft. Bragg and Ft. Lewis army ranger bases. I have never had a wheel alignment as one has never been needed, even though I drive over logs and rough terrain on my property and on local BLM fishing holes. I am a stickler about doing maintenance ahead of schedule, such as fluids. Back seats fold flat for my 6 foot carcas to sleep when out with the bears.
Favorite Features
Serious four wheel drive capability without breaking things is a major plus for my lifestyle. As stated, have never had or needed a correction in the front or rear wheel alignment, despite the fact I live in real mountainous boonies and frequently drive into streams over rocks and very rough trails. It has enough cargo room I can haul supplies to ny rental properties or out camping. The pearl paint has been nothing other than spectacular as there are only a couple minor chips from rocky logging roads and no paint fading as I leave it outside in the sun and garage my new Subarus.
Suggested Improvements
Obviously there are many more comfortable and fuel efficient SUVs on the road today, but I do not believe they have as much off road capability -I have tried newer models of mid-size and large SUVs. I only wish Mitsubishi would make another serious off road vehicle with perhaps 3 inches more leg room and another foot length in the cargo area, which would probably not have hindered the off road capabiility of this model. I believe the superior reliability and off road capability of this old model is difficult if not impossible to find.