2004 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:
92000 miles later
By combattracker5 on 09/07/12 02:06 AM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Outstanding 4WD! My 4th one, will keep this one until the wheels fall off. Unbelieveably reliable and extremely low maintenance costs to date. Has had much off road use and almost all rural highway miles. The newer SUVs are much more energy efficient and comfy, but this is one tough, reliable vehicle. Maybe that is why they are so popular at Ft. Bragg and Ft. Lewis army ranger bases. I have never had a wheel alignment as one has never been needed, even though I drive over logs and rough terrain on my property and on local BLM fishing holes. I am a stickler about doing maintenance ahead of schedule, such as fluids. Back seats fold flat for my 6 foot carcas to sleep when out with the bears.

I LOve My Montero Sport
By Down to earth on 04/17/10 07:29 AM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After almost 6 yrs of owning it, I can't get rid of it I LOVE my car! This car grows on you, very faithful and it just looks prettier and prettier when it gets old! Hmm ! Unfortunate that it is NOT build anymore, I think I would buy myself a 2nd one. The others Endeavour and Outlander are just not the same never will be, it's another car.

I require a 4WD
By Tracker on 08/14/08 22:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I live in serious boonies in the northwest and need a real 4WD vehicle. I have had 3 XLS Sports, sold them all at 60,000 miles. Never had a single problem with any one and have been impressed by the 4WD capability coupled with decent (22 mpg Highway) mileage. The seats are a little short, stopping way before my knees, and it needs side bolsters for where I go. I wish the engine had a different drive belt. It rides rough, but it is tough! I cannot figure out why the resale value has been so low on these models. This is a much better off-road vehicle than my Yukon XL.

Not a mere show piece.
By Reggie on 07/20/08 22:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

A solid off and on road vehicle. Bought it primarily for off road and touring. Ample seating and cargo. Take it to San Gabriel OHV, CA and Hungry Valley SVRA, CA (Gorman), up Los Angeles National Forest roads when it snows. Have taken it from Palm Springs to Joshua Tree N Park via the Berdoo Trail. It's a XLS A4WD and the rest. Majestically conquers terrain, climbs effortlessly, fords above knee deep, traverses narrow passes, handles well over snow and ice, amply protected underbelly and axles over boulders especially submerged ones, coasts effortlessly @ 85 mph on freeways and gives 18 mpg combined. Add to it killer looks. The last Mits with a body on frame construction.

Seattle Driver
By Bean on 03/06/08 20:06 PM (PST)

2004 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Montero Sport is a reliable SUV, It s a little sluggish on the get go accelation but other than that pretty smooth.

Left without a dealer
By Mike on 06/14/05 10:16 AM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I like my Mitsubishi Montero Sport and did not really expect to get the gas mileage as rated. My first trip to Upstate NY from South Carolina I only got only 16 mpg. The vehicle is great and I like it, but what in the world am I supposed to do for my free oil changes for the first 45,000 miles as well as warranty service when the closest dealer is 35 miles away. Had I had any inclination of this, I would have bought another brand. My local dealer closed 5 months after my purchase. Mitsubishi USA's resoponse is, there is really nothing they can do.

Excellent
By Basavaraj Patil on 12/16/04 14:22 PM (PST)

2004 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Overall excellent vehicle. Mileage is aroung 17/gallon, but good driving comfort. Parts are very expensive and service delears should be increased.

WOO HOO
By Billyjobob on 12/15/04 16:28 PM (PST)

2004 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first, but I love it already. Corners like a car, smooth ride, etc. Everything about it is awesome.

By tina1968 on 11/23/04 08:39 AM (PST)

2004 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love my new car ,,, best car on the road,,,,,

Love My Mitsu!
By Anne Clarkson on 09/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Love it, this is my second Sport and I will be back for another one when I wear this one out!