Used 2004 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:

92000 miles later
By combattracker5

2004 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Outstanding 4WD! My 4th one, will keep this one until the wheels fall off. Unbelieveably reliable and extremely low maintenance costs to date. Has had much off road use and almost all rural highway miles. The newer SUVs are much more energy efficient and comfy, but this is one tough, reliable vehicle. Maybe that is why they are so popular at Ft. Bragg and Ft. Lewis army ranger bases. I have never had a wheel alignment as one has never been needed, even though I drive over logs and rough terrain on my property and on local BLM fishing holes. I am a stickler about doing maintenance ahead of schedule, such as fluids. Back seats fold flat for my 6 foot carcas to sleep when out with the bears.

Serious four wheel drive capability without breaking things is a major plus for my lifestyle. As stated, have never had or needed a correction in the front or rear wheel alignment, despite the fact I live in real mountainous boonies and frequently drive into streams over rocks and very rough trails. It has enough cargo room I can haul supplies to ny rental properties or out camping. The pearl paint has been nothing other than spectacular as there are only a couple minor chips from rocky logging roads and no paint fading as I leave it outside in the sun and garage my new Subarus.

Obviously there are many more comfortable and fuel efficient SUVs on the road today, but I do not believe they have as much off road capability -I have tried newer models of mid-size and large SUVs. I only wish Mitsubishi would make another serious off road vehicle with perhaps 3 inches more leg room and another foot length in the cargo area, which would probably not have hindered the off road capabiility of this model. I believe the superior reliability and off road capability of this old model is difficult if not impossible to find.

I LOve My Montero Sport
By Down to earth

2004 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After almost 6 yrs of owning it, I can't get rid of it I LOVE my car! This car grows on you, very faithful and it just looks prettier and prettier when it gets old! Hmm ! Unfortunate that it is NOT build anymore, I think I would buy myself a 2nd one. The others Endeavour and Outlander are just not the same never will be, it's another car.

Back seat should have a complete set of belts in the middle, also separating the back seat to be able to store something long without sacrificing the back passengers. Would look into making for 7 seats. It would make it PERFECT!

I require a 4WD
By Tracker

2004 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I live in serious boonies in the northwest and need a real 4WD vehicle. I have had 3 XLS Sports, sold them all at 60,000 miles. Never had a single problem with any one and have been impressed by the 4WD capability coupled with decent (22 mpg Highway) mileage. The seats are a little short, stopping way before my knees, and it needs side bolsters for where I go. I wish the engine had a different drive belt. It rides rough, but it is tough! I cannot figure out why the resale value has been so low on these models. This is a much better off-road vehicle than my Yukon XL.

Exterior body style, hard paint, plenty of acceleration, decent gas mileage. Great 4WD action.My three have been very reliable- more so than my 03 Accord and 07 Yukon XL. I plan to keep this one for a long time.

Needs more leg room and bigger seats. Also wish it were a few inches longer in the cargo area- an overall extension of 6 inches would have made it both more comfortable and better for my gear.

Not a mere show piece.
By Reggie

2004 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

A solid off and on road vehicle. Bought it primarily for off road and touring. Ample seating and cargo. Take it to San Gabriel OHV, CA and Hungry Valley SVRA, CA (Gorman), up Los Angeles National Forest roads when it snows. Have taken it from Palm Springs to Joshua Tree N Park via the Berdoo Trail. It's a XLS A4WD and the rest. Majestically conquers terrain, climbs effortlessly, fords above knee deep, traverses narrow passes, handles well over snow and ice, amply protected underbelly and axles over boulders especially submerged ones, coasts effortlessly @ 85 mph on freeways and gives 18 mpg combined. Add to it killer looks. The last Mits with a body on frame construction.

Solid but not a jarring ride. Reassuring reliability out there. High ride. Great off road.

Tail pipe once dug in the dirt at the bottom of an incline while backing. ABS limits it to 30" tires max. A shifting shudder (lower gears) if taking off in a hurry.

Seattle Driver
By Bean

2004 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Montero Sport is a reliable SUV, It s a little sluggish on the get go accelation but other than that pretty smooth.

Outer body syling is great.