Used 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:

Excellent family hauler!
By rrf

2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Those who have kids know that newborns need plenty of cargo room. This vehicle has plenty! My wife and I purchased this vehicle anticipating the birth of our first son. We made an excellent choice. The Montero Sport is the perfect family hauler for the following reasons: -Plenty of cargo space -Has the LATCH car seat anchors -Rear hatch opens upward to shelter you from the rain when you have to change your baby's diaper. -The deck height in the cargo area is perfect for changing your baby's diapers. (See the theme?) -Toddlers get dirty! The rear cargo area roof is tall enough enabling your toddler to stand. This makes impromptu clothes changes very easy. -Privacy glass helps with naps

Favorite Features

-LATCH -Cargo space -Hatch door provides shelter -Ride height is good for your back when transfering an infant carrier (infant included) from stroller to base -Very comfortable seats for long trips -Rear seats recline -This rugged SUV shrugs off potholes and road debris like a champ. -Has 170K miles, has never left me stranded. Very reliable. -Stereo surprised me. Giant door speakers and separate tweeters provides deep undistorted lows, and crisp clear highs. -Roof rack comes in handy

Suggested Improvements

-Rugged=heavy: Brakes are only adequate for this heavy SUV. Take it easy in the mountains or you'll warp the rotors. -3.0L V6 and 4-speed automatic transmission are a slow combination for this heft. Merging onto a freeway often requires full throttle. -Fold flat rear seats would enhance the use of the excellent cargo space during IKEA and Home Depot trips.

Best buy ever
By Donna

2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle used in 2005. I have driven it for 5 yrs this month. I have over 134,000 miles and beside tires and a battery (that was my own fault) I had a belt replaced that was worn and the transmission flushed to extent the life of this jewel. I use to buy a new car every couple of years. No more.

Favorite Features

I love the nice but sporty look. It fits in no matter where you are. The quality is amazing. Seats are firm, carpet is plush and the privacy glass keeps it cool on summer days. I love the two-tone interior and white gauge faces. There is nothing dated looking about this vehicle. Worth every penny!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I wish was different is if the back seats would lay flat with the trunk area when they are down. It would have made my recent move so much easier. It would be nice if there was the option to open the back glass alone without the whole hatch at times. It's is high and heavy to close.

scary to drive
By disappointed

2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I wish I'd listened to the advice another reviewer gave here on edmunds. He said the steering was "squirrely," and he was right! You can't take your eyes off the road for a second--this car will take you right off the road. And the sway in this thing makes my kids sick! No sway bar is available to correct it. Also, because the entire hatchback lifts up, it drips water right on you if it's been raining. Then, when you get home, your groceries fall out! I bought this because I liked the way it looked, but don't do it!

RELIABLE SUV
By kobken

2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

It is really a reliable car; saves you gas, great cargo space and I would say reliable when you get into an accident. Someone hit me really hard in the front of my Montero and it took the hit well; I believe it has great hard exterior. Reliable engine; I've always been back and forth with GMs, Fords, and other American cars -- I've read bad reviews and was very scared. This SUV has a very reliable engine even though I bought it as used car.

Favorite Features

Price, cargo space, leg room and interior.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe it's just us -- our AC broke down.

scotts review
By saldihfo;ihgo;

2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Nice car for reliability, needs work on drivetrain. Braking system needs to be stronger and engine needs more power.

Favorite Features

Exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

More powerful engine. Limited slip rear axil. Tighter turning radius. Quieter ride.