2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:
Excellent family hauler!
By rrf on 04/14/12 09:25 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Those who have kids know that newborns need plenty of cargo room. This vehicle has plenty! My wife and I purchased this vehicle anticipating the birth of our first son. We made an excellent choice. The Montero Sport is the perfect family hauler for the following reasons: -Plenty of cargo space -Has the LATCH car seat anchors -Rear hatch opens upward to shelter you from the rain when you have to change your baby's diaper. -The deck height in the cargo area is perfect for changing your baby's diapers. (See the theme?) -Toddlers get dirty! The rear cargo area roof is tall enough enabling your toddler to stand. This makes impromptu clothes changes very easy. -Privacy glass helps with naps

Best buy ever
By Donna on 03/20/10 18:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle used in 2005. I have driven it for 5 yrs this month. I have over 134,000 miles and beside tires and a battery (that was my own fault) I had a belt replaced that was worn and the transmission flushed to extent the life of this jewel. I use to buy a new car every couple of years. No more.

Great Car- I love it
By T Ceezy on 12/15/08 10:55 AM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I really enjoy this car, it has been perfect for me. I live in Colorado and use my Sport to go off road camping, up to the mountains through the snow, and also driving as I live in the city. It has been very reliable, no problems other than regular wear and tear. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for an SUV. It has been great in the snow.

very reliable
By scott.76 on 10/10/08 21:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

It's been a very solid vehicle. Not a single mechanical issue. It now has 85,000 miles on it. Some complaints I have are that after about an hour of driving I've got to get out and stretch my legs. The seat height is too low. It's definitely not a vehicle designed for a tall person. The roof is also quite low. The side steps aren't really functional so my seat is wearing because I essentially have to slide in and out. It handles great in the snow and does well off road. My sister bought an '03 Jeep grand Cherokee at the same time we bought our MS. They've had nothing but trouble with it. There's something to be said for the simple design of MS. Not a whole lot of gadgets that can break.

Reliable, 2nd time buyer
By mickey3145 on 04/21/08 09:39 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV ES Rwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My daughter is driving my first Montero Sport, 180K miles and still going. We have never had any serious mechanical problems. We have done normal maintenance and it still runs and looks great. My 2003 is the same. I currently have 40K miles and it is great car for my business. I also have an Endeavor and love it!

scary to drive
By disappointed on 02/09/08 13:21 PM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I wish I'd listened to the advice another reviewer gave here on edmunds. He said the steering was "squirrely," and he was right! You can't take your eyes off the road for a second--this car will take you right off the road. And the sway in this thing makes my kids sick! No sway bar is available to correct it. Also, because the entire hatchback lifts up, it drips water right on you if it's been raining. Then, when you get home, your groceries fall out! I bought this because I liked the way it looked, but don't do it!

Great Montero Sport
By Walt Stewart on 05/15/07 11:59 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

What else can I say, I have been very pleased with this vehicle to date.

A Very Nice SUV
By Noel on 12/26/06 13:19 PM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this a few months ago. The SUV is very nice to drive. The engine runs very smoothly for a three year old vehicle. There is enough room for five passengers and enough space for cargo too. the controls are easily accessible.

CR Magazine Rating is Questionable!
By du sais on 12/08/06 17:01 PM (PST)

2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've been a subscriber of this magazine and I have been pretty much dependent on their evaluation when purchasing stuff, until I purchased my Montero Sport. The reason for this purhase - I got a very good deal, cheap considering that it's a limited 4x4 . Being aware that this vehicle is considered poor in their rating, I was surprised when I happened to drive it. It looks like the CR ratings are backwards. We have five adults in our household and in our garage there's an '02 Honda CR-V, '01 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4 (which I drove most of the time before the MT Sport), &and a '04 Toyota Sienna XLS AWD. I find the MT Sport much better in acceleration and cornering than my 4Runner. Also, its ride is far better than car based CR-V's. I have had no recalls or trouble with my Mitsubishi yet.

My Second One
By vermontergirl on 08/31/06 10:01 AM (PDT)

2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Before the two Montero Sports, I drove a Volvo 850. This truck has only needed one minor thing in it's 60,000 mile history. Just change the oil and go. One winter (I run studded Nokians), it made it up the last 600' of my very steep driveway with 22" of unplowed snow! It took about four passes, but did it. My driving is split between city and highway. For mileage, I usually get 21 mpg in the summer and slightly less in the winter (studded tires). This is not bad for a big SUV. Of course, if you want to go 75 mph all day you won't get the same results. The 2003s are really AWD all the time (90/10), which probably accounts for the decent gas mileage, and lock into 4HI+LO when needed.