Long Term Montero Sport Report
By audioguy on
2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)
I got burned on a used minivan and had to quickly trade for something else. Mitsubishi had a large financial incentive on the '02 Montero Sport (which hurt them later on) so I bought one. While my wife can have the luxury and creature comforts in her ride, I use my car to get me where I want to go. And based on that alone, the Montero Sport does that reasonably well. It's basic transportation, nothing more or less. Its ride is OK, nothing spectacular. The interior comfort is OK, nothing spectacular. The engine and tranny are OK, nothing spectacular. It's a gas hog. I wrecked it in 2004 and it was expensive to fix the front end. I hope to get 125,000 miles out of it.
Favorite Features
The back is roomy and I like the hidden storage trays. With the rear seats down I can haul a lot of stuff. The car sits much higher than a lot of SUVs.
Suggested Improvements
It needs more power and better gas mileage. The V6 engine just doesn't have the guts. The radio, while sensitive is not particularly good sounding, that's something important to me. The speakers could be better placed and it needs better resale value.