Used 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:

Good Truck, Need Improvements
By anthonyorlando

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LTD 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The Dealer can no fix the alignment, everytime i bring it in, it will pull to the right or left when they are done, still need alignment to get fixed. Fuel economy is expected to be poor, try to squeeze a lot of horse power out of a small V6, but it's ok, peppy. I would have thought after spending 32K on this, I would have auto headlights, and heated side mirros, but these can be improved on. Truck looks cool, great color combo. Seats are really stiff, there are other SUV's around the same price that are more comfortable.

The looks, I have the Limited with the Silver and Dark Grey trim. AC works great, no blind spots.

Automatic Headlamps, seats need more cushion material, they are too stiff, better tranmission. Manual transmission and a V8 would make this truck perfect.

Me and My SUV
By Phillygator

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love the truck. The style of the vehicle inside and out is very handsome. I got the SUV at a great price used, and I havent had any troubles since (knock on wood). I traded in my 2002 Nissan Altima for the Montero Sport and I am extremely happy that I did so. Most people think that Nissan makes a superior product to Mitsu, but in the 5 months I owned my Altima, it was non-stop trouble. The Montero Sport has been a pleasure to own.

The rugged looks. It rides very smooth for a truck/SUV. I would recommend the 3.5 engine as it has much more power than the 3.0.

The only thing I would recommend so far is the seats could be padded better. I took a long drive recently and found the seats to be a bit uncomfortable after a few hours.

Do your homework
By Lake Man

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LTD 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I decided to trade my 2WD 4 yr. old 4Runner for the AWD/4WD Sport. I read the reviews and checked out re-sale values before I bought. The Sport rides better, is quieter, and has more power. My 4Runner had a much harser ride. I wish the Sport had tighter steering. I intend to drive my Sport over 100,000 miles. I think the re-sale at that point will be only a little less, and it cost $4,000 less, than than a 4Runner similarly equiped. I pull some boats and find the Sport a perfect compromise between comfort and utility. My Sport has had no problems to date. IF that continues (my 4Runner was "bulletproof"), I'll stay very happy with my choice.

Interior comfort and design. Exterior design. Solid, well-built feel overall. AWD is great is bad weather!

Steering feels loose. Tighten it up and the Sport is almost perfect if you want a truck-based SUV as a reasonable price.

my first SUV
By slow cooker

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Montero Sport LS is a very good vehicle. It has style, good power with just the standard v-6, and seems quite reliable. Of course, with less than 6000 miles on it so far the reliability hasn't really been challenged yet. My major issues so far are only 2: 1. Exterior finish. Quite delicate. I put a small mark on the door just by touching it lightly with my keys. Later I noticed some other marks under the same door, and I've no clue how they got there. 2. Handling. On dry roads it drives like a sportscar, but on a wet road it's scary. Don't know if it's the vechicle itself or maybe the tire design, but I don't like it.

I sit nice and high in the saddle. Great visibility. Good instrumentation. Alot of features standard such as a good sound system and cruise control.

Increase stability on wet pavement and put a tougher finish on the exterior.

Depreciation Blues
By BJack

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LTD 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

No problems to complain about with the vehicle. However I was totally shocked at the rate of depreciation when I decided to refinance to a lower interest rate. I like many others jumped on the zero down, zero payments with zero interest for one year deal with thoughts of refinancing with my credit union when the year was up.To my surprise the vehicle had droped in value by about 10K in only one year. Buyers beware of the 'snake oil' deals, you'll pay high interest through the Mits Finance Corp, and if you want to refinance after a year good luck! The key is to pay on it during the 'free' year (which negates the whole advantage)

Looks, style and interior.

A rear mounted spare tire rack would be easier to manage. The rear window should roll down.

• SUV