2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:
OverPriced
By Marc Staval;e on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car is a bit overpriced for what you get. I owned a previous Jeep GC and it had a lot more options for the price. The 0 down, 0 interest 0 payments for 1 yrs got me in but that was it. The car needs the XLS package at the LS price. This is what the other SUV's offer. Not as wide as the others.

Not a happy camper
By snot good on 04/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Looks great but that's about it. Needs a larger engine. A slight fish-tail with wind gust. Can't spend that kind of money for this junk.

Great SUV
By Mitsuman on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LTD 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have an old Mitsubishi Montero that has 174,000 miles. I was so amazed with its performance bought the New 2002. I'm sure I'll get the same performance if not better. The Mitsubishi Montero Sport is quiet comfortable and has power when you get on the freeway you move. No Dogs here when it comes to engine performance.

Bad News
By al acosta on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The day after i bought the vehicle, it started to make a screatching noise and the front passenger seat began to rattle. i took the vehicle to the service dept and they did not know what was wrong with it. Two engineers from Mits had to respond to the dealership to investigate. The dealer/service dept recently called me and said they need to replace my transmission but the service rep did not sound convincing that was indeed the problem. as far as the seat goes, they replaced the seat rail with a new one and it still is making the noise. I will never buy a Mitsubishi again...

Glad I made this choice!!
By jkjhooks on 03/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Lovin' the Sport. I've heard all of the bad reviews about the lack of power and the sluggish transmission...hey, if you're looking for a speedster, stop looking for SUVs. There is ample power, and I feel that the steering is sharp. I've been on some long hauls already with it...4000 miles so far, and I still get enjoyment out of the winding roads.

So far so good.
By xxjeffxx on 03/17/02 19:40 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is pretty good SUV. I was told it would be underpowered but that is not the case. I am very happy with the performance. It could be more comfortable on long trips but its not bad. The 60 months no interest was the clincher and I am very happy with my decision so far.

Sorry but I have to tell the truth..
By friendwithan02 on 03/13/02 12:21 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LTD 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have to tell the truth about the Montero Sport, it's not that great considering the rest of the competition. Power is subpar, mileage fairly poor, build quality average, overpriced, overall just a below average vehicle produced by a below average company. The best thing about the Montero sport is it's looks. I'd have to concur with Edmunds on just about everything about this SUV.

Love my new baby!!!
By DianeKrause on 03/11/02 16:01 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Great looking vehicle and great incentive to purchase as well, with the zero down and delayed payments. The interior is beautiful and easy to work with, but the acceleration -- well it's just not happening. If you want to merge with any authority, you have to put it in 3rd - absolutely. However, it's worth it and it's fun to shift. Gives you a little of the standard transmission buzz. You have to have the sunroof, definitely.

Great at first then it goes downhill
By hc7454 on 03/09/02 15:18 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

First my 4WD stopped working. They had to change several switces to get it working. Then my battery died after only 1 year. Then my security system died. They had to change the entire security system wire to wire. Then my car just wouldn't start. They have replaced the starter which helped but it still has starting issues. Then my Radio stopped picking FM signals. Then 2 months latter my CD player stopped working.

Best mid-sized SUV in the world!!!
By Firebat on 02/28/02 20:49 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Best mid-sized SUV in the world!!!