Used 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:

Happy with the purchase!
By mji

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

essentially happy with the vehicle. Have had previous SUV's and this by far is the better in the price range. no major problems with the car so far. Feels solid, powers well, and drives almost like a car. My wife enjoys the feel as well.

Favorite Features

Style, reasonably comfortable, handles well with adequate storage.

Suggested Improvements

Basic interior needs some flash1

Bad News
By Barktl

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The handeling is very poor on dry roads and wet roads. I feel very unsafe in this vehicle. The Wheel width is to naoorw verses the height of the vehicle.

Favorite Features

I have no favorite feature on this vehicle. At the time of purchase it had a big cargo area and roomy for my family.

Suggested Improvements

Seat ergonomics are to low to the floor baord making it uncomfortable for tall buyers. Make it more stable on dry and wet raods.

Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS
By JakeinPa

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Great vehicle! Much better than the vehicle it replaced in my household.

Favorite Features

Looks, off-road capability,comfort.

Suggested Improvements

towing wire harness

So Far So Good
By Satisfied Customer 9

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the vehicle used at a fair deal. I have had no problems thus far. It rides like a car, very comfortable. Power/performance is noticably lacking but I did not purchase the vehicle to tow anything so it is not something I miss. I have yet to use the 4 wheel drive feature for any length of time. All in all it has been good to me.

Favorite Features

I'm not sure I have a favorite feature except that I enjoy the smooth ride. It's not like some of the rough rides I experience with other SUV's. It also looks great. I like the large side view mirrors.

Suggested Improvements

They have thought of almost everything for an SUV this size. I really can not think of anything to suggest.

Good Truck, Need Improvements
By anthonyorlando

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LTD 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The Dealer can no fix the alignment, everytime i bring it in, it will pull to the right or left when they are done, still need alignment to get fixed. Fuel economy is expected to be poor, try to squeeze a lot of horse power out of a small V6, but it's ok, peppy. I would have thought after spending 32K on this, I would have auto headlights, and heated side mirros, but these can be improved on. Truck looks cool, great color combo. Seats are really stiff, there are other SUV's around the same price that are more comfortable.

Favorite Features

The looks, I have the Limited with the Silver and Dark Grey trim. AC works great, no blind spots.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic Headlamps, seats need more cushion material, they are too stiff, better tranmission. Manual transmission and a V8 would make this truck perfect.