Used 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mitsubishi Montero-sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:

46,000 trouble free miles
By zio

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Mitsubishi Montero Sport new in 2003 as a 2002 leftover model. We drove several different brands, Nissan, Toyota, even a big Chevy & Ford, and the big Montero. I liked the way this truck drove best. But I do like a "tight" chassis better than a swaying, "unconnected" feeling ride. I got that from the Toyota & big SUV's. Its accelleration is good. We have never had a problem with onramps or passing uphill. And I like the transmission. It downshifts when I want it to, and holds the gear for as long as I want it to (almost reads my mind). I hate automatics that upshift too early. The build quality seems to be top notch, too, almost comparable to our 2002 Honda Odyssey. There are no rattles, odd noises, or anything to complain about.

Favorite Features

The strong motor, well thought out interior, good stereo, good SUV looks (no gimicky junk). And it has no power seats, which believe it or not I prefer. AWD is great (it never looses traction pulling out of wet driveways into fast traffic). Also, nice dark factory window tint.

Suggested Improvements

The center console between the front seats is a tad flimsy, but it has held up so far to our kids climbing on it almost daily. The high beams aren't much better than the lows.

2002 Montero Sport
By ty

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I loved my 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport. I found it got very good gas mileage for an SUV if taken care of. After 50,000 miles, it was still getting around 18-20 mpg. It was fun to drive and worked well through several winter storms. I enjoyed having this truck!

Favorite Features

I loved the options of several 4WD settings and it worked well in hard winters. I LOVED the appearance. It never let us down.

Suggested Improvements

It had a very bumpy ride and a wide turning radius compared with the other SUVs that I've driven. Having two drinks (fast food cups) in the front cupholders was frustrating as you could not pick up one without popping the other's lid off.

Cute SUV
By shopnbarefoot

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport ES 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Mitsubishi Montero Sport is great for a young, smaller family. It's very cute, functional and drives nicely. It's only limitation is the lack of backseat room for people 5 feet or taller. The cargo space exceeded everything I ever needed with 3 growing boys. Did I say it is so cute?!

Favorite Features

The looks and standard sound system are nice! I love the cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

It needs more back seat leg room, maybe even widen the whole thing a foot or so.

Montero Sport has been great!
By Darin

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I picked a Mitsubishi Montero Sport because of the reliability and looks. It has a look that many SUV's lack nowadays...smooth, simple lines, while remaining tough and rugged looking. Many manufacturers are starting to add strange lines and countours that don't appeal to the eye as much...the best SUV's (style-wise) were built in the late 1980's to early 90's, such as the Toyota Land Cruiser, Mitsubishi Montero, the old Ford Bronco, and the Toyota 4Runner. I am not sure if anyone agrees with me, but I will miss seeing new Montero Sports on the road.

Favorite Features

The exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Make the engine more powerful and fuel efficient.

Montero sport
By rodrigo hernandez

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great SUV -- no mechanical problems, but problems with cross winds at highway speeds.