2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:
montero sport 2002
By cruzer2k3 on 10/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The Montero Sport 2002 is a strong, dependable vehicle. I liked the interior and exterior of the SUV very much. The one thing that bothered me the most though was the suspensions were a little too much on the soft side, which made the ride somewhat uncomfortable if you were going over bumpy roads. Fuel economy was my next concern, as the Montero can eat up gas like it was air (which is true of many other SUV's aswell). Overall, it is a great off-roading SUV.

Do your home work on this one
By matthewse on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love my truck but there is one glaring fault. 26K NEW and the resell value has deminished very quickly. Unless you plan on keeping the vehicle for 5 years or for its life you will be upside down in what you owe and what it is worth in six seconds flat even with a reasonable down payment. All in all i enjoy the vehicle but dont feel comfortable with the decision because of the resell value. Do your home work and make sure you will be keeping this for the long haul.

It;s okay
By It's cool. on 05/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

It's a cute car. The interior REALLY REALLY needs some work though. It's very basic.

mitsubishi montero sport xls awd 4X4
By susanlauryn on 04/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

this car has held up well. it is very comfortable and handles great. it has plenty get up and go, and it runs and handles smoothly. it is very comfortable, rides well, and has a lot of great features. i would buy another one.it has not had any major problems. it is easy to maintain.

Much better than Jeep
By JayKel on 03/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I used to own a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. After over a year, I drove from MI to NJ then the AC failed... then after two years of driving the transmission failed. I did some research and finally have the SUV of my dream. Never failed me.

Wake up and drive one!!!
By MS2002 on 03/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LTD 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love this this SUV. I feel good and never get bored whenever I'm driving it. The first brand new car I ever purchased, never regret my decision Awesome control and stability on all road condition. Always confident on driving it on the snowy or wet pavement. Can take the most cohesive road condition with ease thanks for the AWD capability. Steering is great, smooth and effortless. Satisfying acceleration power for an SUV. Great choice.

It's a Jeep thing--You WOULD understand
By fixer on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I'm 53 years old and had reconstructive spinal surgery. I got rid of a Cherokee country after too many problems. I have always disliked driving but now I drive as often as I can. Extremely comfortable, the A.C. will chill you out, and if you think it's a bit top heavy, SLOW DOWN for cryin' out loud. You're probably an Explorer owner or you still have your old MG in your blood. Stick to the speed limits and use some good old fashioned common sense. You can't turn a corner in any city, going 50 mph in anything safely. Go buy a Schwinn and learn to drive all over again.

The Moby
By lufting on 02/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport ES 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I wanted a replacement for my Jeep Cherokee Sport. Basic stuff. The Montero Sport ES is indeed pretty basic. No complaint, though. I got what I went after. It's unforunate it has no residual value for those of you expecting to trade on the short term.

Looks good...Drives well.
By Herculesman on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I did a lot of research before buying this car. Turns out it's one of the best decisions i've made. The car handles really well. I was suprised by how well the handling felt when i put it in 4WD in the snow. Plus, it look great on the outside. At times, i feel the pick up could be better (especially when merging onto the highway) but then again, you can't expect any SUV to have the pick up of a sports car. Overall, great car. Would recommend to all my friends.

Don't miss out
By Good buy on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this vehicle not expecting to keep it. Drive it a year or 2 and then move on. But this car has been excellent!!! It rides great and the AWD version is incredible in snowy conditions. I can verify this since we live in the country and have to travel a few miles on snow covered gravel roads. This vehicle is very reliable and fun to drive. If you can get your hands on one of these, then you should go for it!