2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:
Excellent Family Vehicle
By xochimahuac on 11/18/06 20:38 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this SUV a month before having our first baby and we love it. It has a huge trunk to put everything we need to travel with the baby, and it is quite comfortable. It hasn't had any problems and the body style and alloys make it look very nice.

Awesome so far
By kgoodsuv on 09/13/06 21:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm a junior in high school and i drive a black '02 Mitsubishi Montero Sport. It is my second vehicle. I have always loved the look of these SUVs. I think they have an awesome bold masculine look. I feel really safe when I'm driving it and it's really comfortable. I drive a lot to go see family in other areas of the state for long amounts of time, and I never get a sore back or anything. It's like sitting in the lay z boy at home. The ride is not insanely smooth like a Lexus or a Lincoln, but it's nothing like the Isuzu Rodeo that I test drove, which was so uncomfortable. I felt like I was riding my bike when I drove the Rodeo. Before this, I drove a '00 Civic so the gas milage is total opposite, but it is not bad for an SUV. I love it

Just Okay
By Taxi driver on 07/26/06 09:38 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I find this Montero Sport to be just okay. It rides rough, even with new tires and alignment. It is very noisy with the back windows down at speeds greater than 35 mph. The V6 engine is ok, but it does not have much power. Also, the back seat doesn't have much room. I bought it for traveling with the kids, but am very disappointed.

Nice SUV
By njbill1 on 12/27/05 10:22 AM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The styling of the Mitsubishi Montero Sport is excellent. I compared it to the Toyota 4-Runner and Nissan Pathfinder and found it to be much nicer looking. This is my first Mitsubishi but I have two friends who swear by their reliability. So far, I am very pleased with the quality of the vehicle.

Great Off-Road Vehicle
By James on 11/03/05 14:38 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Although not a power-wagon on the highway, my 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD has been the best off-road vehicle I have ever owned, and the list is long. I have not been able to get this vehicle stuck, and I have driven it into some areas I had no reason being in. I especially enjoy pulling Jeeps out of trouble, then telling them I never shifted into full 4WD. The expressions on the owners' faces are priceless.

46,000 trouble free miles
By zio on 09/15/05 14:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Mitsubishi Montero Sport new in 2003 as a 2002 leftover model. We drove several different brands, Nissan, Toyota, even a big Chevy & Ford, and the big Montero. I liked the way this truck drove best. But I do like a "tight" chassis better than a swaying, "unconnected" feeling ride. I got that from the Toyota & big SUV's. Its accelleration is good. We have never had a problem with onramps or passing uphill. And I like the transmission. It downshifts when I want it to, and holds the gear for as long as I want it to (almost reads my mind). I hate automatics that upshift too early. The build quality seems to be top notch, too, almost comparable to our 2002 Honda Odyssey. There are no rattles, odd noises, or anything to complain about.

2002 Montero Sport
By ty on 05/24/05 14:42 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I loved my 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport. I found it got very good gas mileage for an SUV if taken care of. After 50,000 miles, it was still getting around 18-20 mpg. It was fun to drive and worked well through several winter storms. I enjoyed having this truck!

Cute SUV
By shopnbarefoot on 03/21/05 13:00 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport ES 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Mitsubishi Montero Sport is great for a young, smaller family. It's very cute, functional and drives nicely. It's only limitation is the lack of backseat room for people 5 feet or taller. The cargo space exceeded everything I ever needed with 3 growing boys. Did I say it is so cute?!

Montero Sport has been great!
By Darin on 02/21/05 15:18 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I picked a Mitsubishi Montero Sport because of the reliability and looks. It has a look that many SUV's lack nowadays...smooth, simple lines, while remaining tough and rugged looking. Many manufacturers are starting to add strange lines and countours that don't appeal to the eye as much...the best SUV's (style-wise) were built in the late 1980's to early 90's, such as the Toyota Land Cruiser, Mitsubishi Montero, the old Ford Bronco, and the Toyota 4Runner. I am not sure if anyone agrees with me, but I will miss seeing new Montero Sports on the road.

Montero sport
By rodrigo hernandez on 12/21/04 17:54 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great SUV -- no mechanical problems, but problems with cross winds at highway speeds.