Used 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:

2002 Montero sport
By Kinsella

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a great SUV for my family. Very reliable and fun to drive. I wish they would bring back the design.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Wiper control is hard to get at when you driving down the road.

Rides Comfortably
By Charles

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I wanted an SUV to do some occasional hauling of things that wouldn't fit in the back seat of a car. But I also wanted a smooth ride like a car. I found it in this Montero Sport. I bought it used with 33000 miles and it now has 74000. The only thing that I've had to replace were the front wheel bearings and original tires. I've been very pleased with the reliabilty, smooth ride and 18-19 MPG with the 3.5 liter engine.

Favorite Features

The looks and the smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Thermostat for the AC/heater so you can set it to a temperature. Improved gear ratio on transmission -- sluggish in low gears.

Great Good Looking Car
By loveshercar

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport ES 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car was purchased when my daughter was learning to drive. We liked it so much that we took it on most trips to sporting tournaments, etc. The red color is so pretty going down the road, and we liked the way you could see everything better riding up higher compared to the cars. This cars has been trouble free and we have almost 100K. Nice engine power and ride. My daughter is loving it at college now. It should last her even after that!

Favorite Features

Style and color and room to store everything in the back. Riding up higher and low maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Stretch it out a little for even more interior room. The engine can handle it!

My Montero Sport
By Anthony Ampudia

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LTD 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

So far the SUV has been very good. I had to replace the front pinion shaft seal on the differential but other than that I have no complaints. It is big enough for my family and powerful enough to tow our camper. The only thing I do not like about it is that both front and rear bumpers are not metal and thus can be easily damaged by other vehicles while parallel parking.

Favorite Features

Handling, cargo space, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Should have a factory tow hitch and metal bumpers, roof rack should have cross members.

Long Term Montero Sport Report
By audioguy

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I got burned on a used minivan and had to quickly trade for something else. Mitsubishi had a large financial incentive on the '02 Montero Sport (which hurt them later on) so I bought one. While my wife can have the luxury and creature comforts in her ride, I use my car to get me where I want to go. And based on that alone, the Montero Sport does that reasonably well. It's basic transportation, nothing more or less. Its ride is OK, nothing spectacular. The interior comfort is OK, nothing spectacular. The engine and tranny are OK, nothing spectacular. It's a gas hog. I wrecked it in 2004 and it was expensive to fix the front end. I hope to get 125,000 miles out of it.

Favorite Features

The back is roomy and I like the hidden storage trays. With the rear seats down I can haul a lot of stuff. The car sits much higher than a lot of SUVs.

Suggested Improvements

It needs more power and better gas mileage. The V6 engine just doesn't have the guts. The radio, while sensitive is not particularly good sounding, that's something important to me. The speakers could be better placed and it needs better resale value.