2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:
One of the best cars I've owned
By casetractor on 05/03/12 12:52 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Having owned at least 20 cars in my time, the Montero Sport is hands down one of my favorites. It has it all in terms of reliability, versatility, dependability, and value, and it looks pretty decent to boot. Having just turned 140,000 miles, I can honestly say nothing has gone wrong with the car, it still gets around 19 MPG combined, and I've only done the recommended maintenance. The interior is simple yet durable, and stands up to the daily abuse my two young kids submit to it. If I could find another Montero with fewer miles, I would purchase another one without hesitation and own two.

Junk. Junk. Junk.
By cjones89 on 03/28/12 20:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

84k miles and already having tons of problems. Power steering pump leaking, Valve cover gaskets leaking, Lifters are ticking, Transmission acts strange, and I've already had to replace pretty much every suspension part and now the AC is going. What next?? and I have always maintained it!! I bought it because the price was right and I love the style of the Montero. I should have bought an xterra or 4runner. I will never buy another Mitsubishi again!!!

its ok
By cool18 on 01/25/11 18:41 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV LTD 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Im 18 and my grandparents recently gave me their 2002 Montero Sport Limited. I must say it rides rough in the back seat but overall its good. it has 180000 miles and they havent done much but replace the radiator. i was 9 or 10 wen they bought it. I love my truck it saves gas, room for my friends and its enough storage for college moving lol

underpowered
By elewsader on 12/17/10 17:42 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been overly reliable but utterly boring, we've had this car since new and it's rarely had any issues which has been great, but I regret not getting the 3.5 liter as this has no power when you put people in the car, it's designed for people under 5'10 since proper posture for anyone taller requires you to hunch over to see out the windows, you also need to squeeze into the doors, there's not enough cup holders, no ample storage. I know these are popular for off-road use and that's the only thing they'd be good for, it's uncomfortable and shouldn't be allowed to transport more than three small adults.

My Favorite SUV
By Dugan on 09/15/09 15:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love my XLS! Handles great, hardly feel when it shifts. The A/C is outstanding, I'm in marching band and after our 4 hour practices in the hot sun, getting in this A/C is great - it gets cold quickly.

2002 Montero sport
By Kinsella on 03/09/09 08:34 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a great SUV for my family. Very reliable and fun to drive. I wish they would bring back the design.

Rides Comfortably
By Charles on 08/30/07 16:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I wanted an SUV to do some occasional hauling of things that wouldn't fit in the back seat of a car. But I also wanted a smooth ride like a car. I found it in this Montero Sport. I bought it used with 33000 miles and it now has 74000. The only thing that I've had to replace were the front wheel bearings and original tires. I've been very pleased with the reliabilty, smooth ride and 18-19 MPG with the 3.5 liter engine.

Great Good Looking Car
By loveshercar on 07/16/07 11:30 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV ES 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car was purchased when my daughter was learning to drive. We liked it so much that we took it on most trips to sporting tournaments, etc. The red color is so pretty going down the road, and we liked the way you could see everything better riding up higher compared to the cars. This cars has been trouble free and we have almost 100K. Nice engine power and ride. My daughter is loving it at college now. It should last her even after that!

My Montero Sport
By Anthony Ampudia on 05/07/07 11:55 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV LTD 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

So far the SUV has been very good. I had to replace the front pinion shaft seal on the differential but other than that I have no complaints. It is big enough for my family and powerful enough to tow our camper. The only thing I do not like about it is that both front and rear bumpers are not metal and thus can be easily damaged by other vehicles while parallel parking.

Long Term Montero Sport Report
By audioguy on 01/13/07 21:54 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I got burned on a used minivan and had to quickly trade for something else. Mitsubishi had a large financial incentive on the '02 Montero Sport (which hurt them later on) so I bought one. While my wife can have the luxury and creature comforts in her ride, I use my car to get me where I want to go. And based on that alone, the Montero Sport does that reasonably well. It's basic transportation, nothing more or less. Its ride is OK, nothing spectacular. The interior comfort is OK, nothing spectacular. The engine and tranny are OK, nothing spectacular. It's a gas hog. I wrecked it in 2004 and it was expensive to fix the front end. I hope to get 125,000 miles out of it.