Used 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Consumer Reviews - 84 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:

The most honest Montero Sport review you'll read
By Reed

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport ES 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My dad bought this car brand new in 2002. That was the golden era of SUV's, so I was surprised he picked the Montero Sport. Since the beginning, it's never been a "wow" car. The interior is extraordinarily basic. Looks very outdated now. The exterior looks cool, but not as cool as other SUV's from the same time. We took trips across country with it and it never gave us major issues. He passed it down to me two years ago with 147k miles. He never did major work on it. Routine stuff like brakes and fluids. But I think he replaced the entire rear axel because it went out. In the past two years I've replaced the thermostat, valve cover gasket, alternator, battery, struts, tires and spark plugs. After 150k miles that kind of stuff is to be expected. Never had major issues with the engine or transmission. Mitsubishi reliability is pretty good. The ride height compared to the wheel base is a little off. It's tall and narrow so it gets sketchy at high speeds. They come with a torsion bar suspension so I raised the front 1.5". It sits much better and even fits 31" all terrain tires.

It's pretty reliable and has nostalgia to me because of the road trips we took with it. I even named mine "Monty." I've contemplated selling it but the resale value is atrocious. It's worth it to me to keep it. Most of the ones you see on the road are beat to hell. So find one that's been taken care of and has low miles. This is a basic SUV so don't expect luxury or anything over the top. But if you're looking for a good budget SUV, a Montero Sport is a decent choice. It would also make a great first car.

One of the best cars I've owned
By casetractor

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Having owned at least 20 cars in my time, the Montero Sport is hands down one of my favorites. It has it all in terms of reliability, versatility, dependability, and value, and it looks pretty decent to boot. Having just turned 140,000 miles, I can honestly say nothing has gone wrong with the car, it still gets around 19 MPG combined, and I've only done the recommended maintenance. The interior is simple yet durable, and stands up to the daily abuse my two young kids submit to it. If I could find another Montero with fewer miles, I would purchase another one without hesitation and own two.

Bulletproof engine, transmission, and electrical system. 140k and still no oil consumption. Chassis and suspension feel sturdy around town. I can tow with it. Simple, no frills vehicle without all the bells and whistles that always eventually break and cost you money. Also, the Montero just looks cool, far better than most of the puffed up, rounded out typical SUV's.

Add air suspension from AirLift ($90.00) if you're going to put anything more that a load of groceries in the back.

Junk. Junk. Junk.
By cjones89

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

84k miles and already having tons of problems. Power steering pump leaking, Valve cover gaskets leaking, Lifters are ticking, Transmission acts strange, and I've already had to replace pretty much every suspension part and now the AC is going. What next?? and I have always maintained it!! I bought it because the price was right and I love the style of the Montero. I should have bought an xterra or 4runner. I will never buy another Mitsubishi again!!!

body style, thats about it.

more powerful engine, better built quality.

its ok
By cool18

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LTD 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Im 18 and my grandparents recently gave me their 2002 Montero Sport Limited. I must say it rides rough in the back seat but overall its good. it has 180000 miles and they havent done much but replace the radiator. i was 9 or 10 wen they bought it. I love my truck it saves gas, room for my friends and its enough storage for college moving lol

Sunroof, Heated Leather seats, and gas saver

ride quality

underpowered
By elewsader

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been overly reliable but utterly boring, we've had this car since new and it's rarely had any issues which has been great, but I regret not getting the 3.5 liter as this has no power when you put people in the car, it's designed for people under 5'10 since proper posture for anyone taller requires you to hunch over to see out the windows, you also need to squeeze into the doors, there's not enough cup holders, no ample storage. I know these are popular for off-road use and that's the only thing they'd be good for, it's uncomfortable and shouldn't be allowed to transport more than three small adults.

6g72 rock solid engine, awd/4wd, and big tires.

a V8, bigger windows, wider, longer, and overall a different SUV.