2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:
Its a TRUCK
By Aubrey on 10/16/07 10:53 AM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Beware! It drives like a truck, feels like a truck, and yes its a truck not your average passenger SUV. So far no major repair expenses but we have had some performance and usability issues on the 4WD. When brand new it was not worth the price! Also, big recommendation: disable the "anti lock brakes" feature or you will not have control over the vehicle on slippery roads or in an emergency need to stop event (you can unplug this on each side of the front disk brakes). Gas mileage not good. We will never buy a Mitsubishi again. Cheers.............

Goody
By Derrick on 01/28/07 18:07 PM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV

My Montero Sport has been a solid performer over the years! It has good pick up and steering response. It is a little short on the turning radius though and it started to burn oil at 60,000 miles. Otherwise this truck has had very low maintenance cost. It has plenty of leg and head room for taller than average driver and passengers. The stereo is adequate and the heat/air is better than average.

Love This Vehicle
By Mora on 01/18/07 09:59 AM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

I own this vehicle and absolutely love it. I have 73,000 miles on it now. I bought it used and although it does need bearings which seems a bit early considering the mileage I can't complain. It is absolutely the most comfortable car that I have ever owned and I have owned many through the years, including luxury cars. I am 5' 2" and my hubby is 6' 2" and we are both are extremely comfortable driving this vehicle. It gets very good gas mileage, too. I give it an A+++++++ all the way.

Reliable for the Price
By 2000 Montero sport on 01/05/07 10:52 AM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

We have put over 95,000 on our vehicle since we purchased it. To date, we have not had to replace or repair any major components and it has been extremely reliable. I have found that general maintenance at times tends to be expensive. To replace and access problems requires many labor hours. Its resale values are appear to be low, which is great for buyers but bad for sellers.

Great All Around SUV
By Chris on 12/10/06 09:02 AM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Montero Sport used in 2004 with 40,000 miles on it and have put 60,000 miles on it in 28 months. In Oct. 2006 was rear-ended on the highway, tipped on it's side, and slid 100 feet. It was totaled by insurance company. During those two years I didn't have any single problem with this truck. I changed the oil properly and the break pads. That's all I did. Michelin XLT tires make this truck drive like a car.

Reliable and Sporty Looks
By Stace on 08/25/06 16:24 PM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Montero Sport new. I changed the oil every 5,000 miles and have never had a problem with this truck. I have only changed the tires once and replaced the brake pads. Other than that, it's been a low cost vehicle to drive and it gets about 20 MPG.

My Mitsubishi
By msmonica on 04/18/06 10:54 AM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport ES 4dr SUV

I have had this vehicle since I bought it new in 2000. It has been a very dependable SUV. If you keep it maintained with regular oil changes and yearly suggested maintenance, it will run forever. I have over 150,000 miles on it and its still going strong!

Love My Montero
By desertwitch on 03/20/06 18:35 PM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Limited 4dr SUV

I love this SUV. I've taken it on 500 mile plus trips and it's been very comfortable. I tow a small boat with it and experience no loss of power. The Infinity stereo system is really good for a factory install. Security is great with a chip in the key. It couldn't be more reliable. I've had it for six years now and it's never had any problems. I found it handles much better with slightly wider, taller tires. Prior to that, it didn't handle well on wet roads. For an SUV, I can't complain about the mileage. It seems very well made which is good as parts are on the expensive side.

Won't Buy Another One
By Myarw on 01/28/06 18:44 PM (PST)

2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned my Mitsubishi Montero Sport for four years and I can't wait to unload it. It has many transmission problems. It's very sluggish starting out and has an annoying slip between 2nd and 3rd gears. It's a smooth ride once you get past 3rd gear. The sensors are a big problem, I've replaced my O2 sensor two times at the tune of $189 each time only to have them go bad again within a year. Then the service engine soon light came on. Now the 4 wheel drive is going bad too. I am trading it soon and can't wait to be rid of it.

Good midsize SUV
By Nicholas on 07/27/05 20:30 PM (PDT)

2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

The Mitsubishi Montero Sport is a solid SUV for $10,000 less than the Mercedes and a better truck besides. It burns regular gas. Tows a boat easily with the 3.5L engine in the Limited. Gas mileage decent at 17-21, a little less in winter. One problem with leaking fluid from the front transaxle due to a bad seal, but no other problems at all. None. I have tied huge things to the top luggage rack and drove home no problems. If you want a car, buy the Lexus for 35% more money, but for more of a truck look and feel, this is hard to beat. This is even more comfortable than the Toyota 4Runner I thought about purchasing.