Used 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:

soooo reliable
By gl956

2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV XLS 4dr SUV

bought my montero sport with 150,000 five years ago and i was a little bit skeptical but its was pretty cheap compared to all the other MS that were out there.. let me tell you that this truck is amazing.. it now has over 350,000 miles and feels like it can get another 350,000 more! im usually on the road alot traveling about 100 a day. and my mitsu is soo comfortable. my montero has leather interior with wood trimming all around. its a beautiful black (that looks like a sparkle green when hit with the sun) with beige moldings. im absolutely in love with it. i would recommend it to anybody.. oh and ive only had to replace the alternator because of an oil leak it had. (all monteros have it)

Favorite Features

beautiful styling and comfortable ride. smooth engine and transmission

Suggested Improvements

the oil leak most of these trucks have.. its kinda hard to get to it (and the spark plugs) because of the intake manifold.

I love my Montero Sport
By comatt

2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV LS 4dr SUV

I have had mine for about 3 years, it has 120,000 miles and love it. It has been a great roadtrip vehicle, I have taken it on many 1000+ mile trips and it is comfortable, gas mileage could be better but it performs well. I have had no service issues with it, and have done all the regular maintanence on it. I recently changed the belts to find that the originals were still on it after 11 years of use. The interior holds up well; my leather seats barely show any wear and the buttons and dials all still appear new. This is a great SUV and I intend to run her for many years to come.

"good wittle twack twack"
By Lukas

2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this SUV used w/ 70,000 miles, I sold it last week at 117,000. I replaced tires, breaks and parts of muffler, but living in Buffalo NY in harsh winters and ocean of salt, that is expected. No problems whatsoever w/ this truck, its unique exterior distinguish Montero among other mass build SUVs, great for family of 3, maybe 4 w/ little pet, as we grew, my wife and I have 3 kids and 1 St Bernard, and suddenly as my 3 yr old described "good whittle twack twack" became too little... we had it for 3 yrs and I was sad to see it go...

Favorite Features

Superb exterior, reliability, started at -30 and +90 with no problems, I was never stuck on the road and all above described problems were known way in advance, comfortable drive, all terrain vehicle through woods, sand and mud

Suggested Improvements

V6 should have better fuel economy, I was happy w/ it at 70,000 miles, but at 115,000 you can see the difference, better then 8 cyl but not great as one would expect from 6, not enough power w/ full load - also it was sweating little oil, nothing big, but smell was there on harsh driving

253.000 Miles
By Jennifer

2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV XLS 4dr SUV

I bought my baby back in May of 2000, she had 13 thousand miles on her. Today 01/22/2010 she has 243,000 miles on her. The only maintenance I've ever done on her was regular schedule oil changes. The most expensive repair she's had done, I had to replace the alternator in May of 2009. I live in Ga. I've driven her as far West as Texas, Orlando Florida, and numerous times to Philadelphia Pa. All 3 of my adult children at one point had to drive her when they needed transportation. I am pleased with her. Should she quit tomorrow. I can honestly say I got my monies worth and then some. I wonder if Mitsubishi will make me their spokes person. :)

Favorite Features

The body style. She looks rugged but yet smooth. I love her color. The room. I've laid the seats down and moved a loveseat in her.

Suggested Improvements

None since this model is no longer produced.

Truck truck
By Lukas

2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought used w/ 70k miles, so far almost 30k miles later and still loving it, the only mechanical problem I have had was the small part in fuel pump (unfortunatelly I had to buy the whole unit $560 w/ repair). Nothing else done to the engine or the truck itself. I live in snow country - the bottom is rusty or should I say rustic... That amount of salt will eat alive anybody. Great comfort, great tow, perfect in the snow, 4x4 is fun to drive - I highly recommend to anybody. I've seen models w/ 160k miles on them - the only thing - do not put syntetic motor oil, I noticed lesser performance... Not sure how it is possible, but the truck works better on regular oil... It's a keeper!

Favorite Features

style, comfort, reliability, high sitting

Suggested Improvements

none