Used 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:

Have had for a month but love it already.
By Christopher Dunn

2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV ES 4dr SUV

I just bought it a month ago for $2000. The guy lied about some things, but I can't complain. And it was probably overpriced. It only had 156,000 on it and I've put about 600 on it. The only things wrong are that there's a loud squealing coming from it, we think it's the power steering pump, and the radio shuts off after 3 minutes and I have to press eject and the power button just for it to turn on for another 3 minutes. I was upset to find out that this one doesn't have 4 wheel drive, but it did pretty well in snow and does great in rain. The only time I got stuck was in mud next to a drive way. The gas mileage is great compared to the smaller jeep I used to drive. It fits a car seat pretty well. It's hard for me to put him in just because it's a smaller space putting him in than it is in a car with bigger doors. Storage is great. Suspension is pretty good. Overall fantastic SUV. Would love 4 wheel drive though. I would definitely buy it again.

Great vehicle 15yrs later
By Luke

2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport new in the fall of 2000. It's been an extremely dependable and reliable vehicle for 15 years and 130,000 miles. Rarely has it been garaged or babied. It's driven 20-40 miles most days in all weather and is rarely off road.
I keep up on basic maintenance and service like tune ups, oil, tires, brakes, etc but have let all the dings, scratches go. The transfer case shifts in and out just fine after 15 years of trouble free 4x4 snow and rain. Sunroof sometimes leaks if debris clogs the drip path. Engine still runs well without a noticeable decline in performance. The only trouble under the hood was the A/C compressor went out in August 2014 during Indiana's hottest time of year -- I had heard it for weeks before it quit. I finally had to replace the brakes rotors and calipers in 2014. The door lights don't turn on every time when you open the door and it doesn't always ding when you leave the headlights on or the keys in the ignition. The Infinity CD player quit but the radio still works even though my wife broke the antenna years ago. It's getting rusty spots behind the wheel well corners. So far no wrecks.
My 3 kids and I have spilled tons of drinks and food, but the interior is fine -- no rips in the leather. The back seat is a bit narrow for three car seats so and I had to buy Euro-designed car seats to fit three across. This was getting hard on the back and then we got a minivan. I still drive it anywhere like across the state line or farmers field and I plan to drive it a few more years. No regrets, I love it.

soooo reliable
By gl956

2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV XLS 4dr SUV

bought my montero sport with 150,000 five years ago and i was a little bit skeptical but its was pretty cheap compared to all the other MS that were out there.. let me tell you that this truck is amazing.. it now has over 350,000 miles and feels like it can get another 350,000 more! im usually on the road alot traveling about 100 a day. and my mitsu is soo comfortable. my montero has leather interior with wood trimming all around. its a beautiful black (that looks like a sparkle green when hit with the sun) with beige moldings. im absolutely in love with it. i would recommend it to anybody.. oh and ive only had to replace the alternator because of an oil leak it had. (all monteros have it)

beautiful styling and comfortable ride. smooth engine and transmission

the oil leak most of these trucks have.. its kinda hard to get to it (and the spark plugs) because of the intake manifold.

I love my Montero Sport
By comatt

2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV LS 4dr SUV

I have had mine for about 3 years, it has 120,000 miles and love it.
It has been a great roadtrip vehicle, I have taken it on many 1000+ mile trips and it is comfortable, gas mileage could be better but it performs well.
I have had no service issues with it, and have done all the regular maintanence on it.
I recently changed the belts to find that the originals were still on it after 11 years of use.
The interior holds up well; my leather seats barely show any wear and the buttons and dials all still appear new.
This is a great SUV and I intend to run her for many years to come.

"good wittle twack twack"
By Lukas

2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport SUV XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this SUV used w/ 70,000 miles, I sold it last week at 117,000. I replaced tires, breaks and parts of muffler, but living in Buffalo NY in harsh winters and ocean of salt, that is expected. No problems whatsoever w/ this truck, its unique exterior distinguish Montero among other mass build SUVs, great for family of 3, maybe 4 w/ little pet, as we grew, my wife and I have 3 kids and 1 St Bernard, and suddenly as my 3 yr old described "good whittle twack twack" became too little... we had it for 3 yrs and I was sad to see it go...

Superb exterior, reliability, started at -30 and +90 with no problems, I was never stuck on the road and all above described problems were known way in advance, comfortable drive, all terrain vehicle through woods, sand and mud

V6 should have better fuel economy, I was happy w/ it at 70,000 miles, but at 115,000 you can see the difference, better then 8 cyl but not great as one would expect from 6, not enough power w/ full load - also it was sweating little oil, nothing big, but smell was there on harsh driving