Used 1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:

One of the Best Out There
By stan

1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV

The Mitsubishi Montero is one of the best SUVs out there. Mine is a two wheel drive XLS model. I go trail riding a lot and the driving comfort of it is outstanding. Even on gravel roads the suspention is amazingly smooth for a seven year old SUV. It can handle most anything you can throw at it as long as it isn't too messy. The only thing I would trade it in on would have to be another one but with 4WD.

Even with the big P265/70R15 tires, the interior noise is quiet on the highway.

Give it a more powerful V6 engine with at least 250 horsepower.

What a Hot Car
By lbritain

1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV

I LOVE my Montero Sport. Bought it new in 1999 and can't bear to part with it. Fun to drive - have never had any mechanical problems in 5 years and 52000 miles. changed brake pads at 35000 miles - no problems - fun and easy to drive. Suspension is a little stiff for a bit more rougher ride but still comfortable. No body problems - 5 years old and still looks brand new.

Just plain fun

CUPHOLDERS! They block radio and air controls but I work my way around it.

Wake Up and Drive
By Timber

1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV

Wanted a stylish, reliable, easy to handle SUV and have really enjoyed driving this car. Even at 4 yrs. old people still ask me if I just bought it... Interior cloth seats are easy keepers and always look good. Have regular oil changes, tire rotations, recommended key service and it runs great. Didn't need new tires until 45,000 miles. Fold down seats allow for hauling oversize items. Love this car.

Better cup holders in front.

Good ride after 4 years.
By Robman8565

1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV

I dont know what these other guys are talking about. If your thinking of buying a nice SUV that wont break your bank and looks good, then this is it. I bought mine at 3 years old with over 60k on it (as a second vehicle for towing) and it runs fantastic. I've travelled from Florida to NY three times with it in 4 months and the only noticeable problem is a slight shudder between 2nd and 3rd gears (its automatic) if the RPMs are Very low. I feel this maybe twice a week. If all I have to do to a vehicle with this many miles on it Im thankful.

Cool pockets in the overhead, storage under the rear floor, map pockets on front seats, good cargo room for thid size SUV.

Yes, the cupholders are annoyingly in the way of the stereo, especially since i put in an aftermarket one. There are simple and cheap solutions for this that any one can do.

Looks Great..Runs Great..Great Price
By GJS

1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV

Purchsed this truck with only 20K miles, it has been great every step of the way. NO to Low mantance, oil, tires and brakes. Fun for the family, we go to the mountians and the beach, plenty of room and plenty of fun. I can't say enough about the car (for the price.)

Style, Rouged, Good cargo areas using all of truck.

CUP HOLDS!!!! Front stableizers