Used 1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:

9.5 years later...
By Pupule871

1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased new in 1999. It now has 163,000+ miles and is still a good truck. Average 19 mpg. Only problem was a check engine light and O2 sensor. Replaced factory Yokohama tires at 80,000. Currently run BF Goodrich KOs and just about ready for a new set. At about 90,000 put new timing belt, spark plugs and water pump, just for preventive maintenance. Had a problem with the front brakes going out quick, upgraded to a higher quality pad and now get about 20,000-24,000 miles on front pads. I've only changed the back pads once. The pads are disc front and rear and are extremely easy for do-it-yourself. With minimal tools I can swap out the front pads in less than a hour.

Favorite Features

Roomy. 4x4.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder over radio?

I'm sad to see it go!
By mia masi

1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

I have had this suv for over 4 yrs and with 76000 miles it runs great. With regular oil changes, it has been wonderful to me. We did put the larger tires on it which made it look and feel better. I shop a lot and having that cargo space is great for me (not for my bank account... or my husband). We are now passing her on to a family member, so we will still be able to visit.

Favorite Features

Cargo space, easy to maintain, drives great even with all the miles.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders need to be relocated.

One of the Best Out There
By stan

1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV

The Mitsubishi Montero is one of the best SUVs out there. Mine is a two wheel drive XLS model. I go trail riding a lot and the driving comfort of it is outstanding. Even on gravel roads the suspention is amazingly smooth for a seven year old SUV. It can handle most anything you can throw at it as long as it isn't too messy. The only thing I would trade it in on would have to be another one but with 4WD.

Favorite Features

Even with the big P265/70R15 tires, the interior noise is quiet on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Give it a more powerful V6 engine with at least 250 horsepower.

Utility Proven
By jy

1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

The Mitsubishi Montero is a get the job done vehicle. It has a reliable engine, transmission, and transfer case. It has a time proven engineering design that handles abuse. Its ride quality is that of a load bearing design. The interior is comfortble enough for about 18 hour rides with no aches on the legs and back. Its electrical system is reliable and strong. It is fairly easy to work on like plugs and such with enough room to get around.

Favorite Features

The 427:1 differial, 4ED, and 200 horsepower engine.

Suggested Improvements

Give it a larger fuel tank, like 30 gallons and a bigger oil capacity.

Great SUV
By craig Lemelle

1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

Great SUV, This SUV is based off the the award winning race truck of Dakar Rallye in the 1990's, a tried and true, race proven, durable SUV. The racing hertiage of Mitsubishi and vehicle make it a great truck. Mitsubishi really has a top notch SUV. Its styling is mean, beefy, and agressive. I love it. This is really the only SUV or truck mass produced from a race truck, Mitsubishi really did there homework. I can't say enough.

Favorite Features

Actually not feature, the the racing heritage the SUV and Mitsubishi have at the Dakar rally.

Suggested Improvements

Keep making the unit.