1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:
9.5 years later...
By Pupule871 on 02/12/09 18:50 PM (PST)

1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased new in 1999. It now has 163,000+ miles and is still a good truck. Average 19 mpg. Only problem was a check engine light and O2 sensor. Replaced factory Yokohama tires at 80,000. Currently run BF Goodrich KOs and just about ready for a new set. At about 90,000 put new timing belt, spark plugs and water pump, just for preventive maintenance. Had a problem with the front brakes going out quick, upgraded to a higher quality pad and now get about 20,000-24,000 miles on front pads. I've only changed the back pads once. The pads are disc front and rear and are extremely easy for do-it-yourself. With minimal tools I can swap out the front pads in less than a hour.

I'm sad to see it go!
By mia masi on 10/02/07 12:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

I have had this suv for over 4 yrs and with 76000 miles it runs great. With regular oil changes, it has been wonderful to me. We did put the larger tires on it which made it look and feel better. I shop a lot and having that cargo space is great for me (not for my bank account... or my husband). We are now passing her on to a family member, so we will still be able to visit.

One of the Best Out There
By stan on 09/03/06 19:25 PM (PDT)

1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV

The Mitsubishi Montero is one of the best SUVs out there. Mine is a two wheel drive XLS model. I go trail riding a lot and the driving comfort of it is outstanding. Even on gravel roads the suspention is amazingly smooth for a seven year old SUV. It can handle most anything you can throw at it as long as it isn't too messy. The only thing I would trade it in on would have to be another one but with 4WD.

Utility Proven
By jy on 02/09/06 16:34 PM (PST)

1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

The Mitsubishi Montero is a get the job done vehicle. It has a reliable engine, transmission, and transfer case. It has a time proven engineering design that handles abuse. Its ride quality is that of a load bearing design. The interior is comfortble enough for about 18 hour rides with no aches on the legs and back. Its electrical system is reliable and strong. It is fairly easy to work on like plugs and such with enough room to get around.

Great SUV
By craig Lemelle on 09/09/05 19:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

Great SUV, This SUV is based off the the award winning race truck of Dakar Rallye in the 1990's, a tried and true, race proven, durable SUV. The racing hertiage of Mitsubishi and vehicle make it a great truck. Mitsubishi really has a top notch SUV. Its styling is mean, beefy, and agressive. I love it. This is really the only SUV or truck mass produced from a race truck, Mitsubishi really did there homework. I can't say enough.

Nice Truck
By hernando on 07/14/05 19:45 PM (PDT)

1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I had this truck for over 2 yrs. I really like it. I lived in snowy MA and it handles great in the snow and ice. The tires don't seem to have worn much and no brake work yet. I used to commute 45 mi one way, 5 days a week and I find the drivers seat comfy. Not a 10 but, not awful either. The body is sharp looking and black looks great. I've also installed a hitch and have towed 5k lbs no problem. Gas is ok at around 20-24 mpg on the 3.0L v6. The negatives...stupidly placed cup holders, crappy stock stereo, and the price of parts (a reason to buy American). I have 102k mi on this and have only had the regular mtc done (belts, plugs, etc). I'd buy again.

Great value in a nice looking SUV
By m_masaschi on 01/08/05 20:08 PM (PST)

1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport used and got a great deal on it, partly because it was listed as an LS pkg. I think it looks sharp, especially since I added an exterior push bar on the front. It drives a little rough for the rear passengers, but that doesn't bother me as a driver. The only mechanical problem that I have had with it was with the electricle system left me high and dry twice because of a loose connection. I have 88,000 miles on it and once that got fixed I have not had any problems, knock on wood.

RELIABLE TRUCK
By montero due on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle is great , never had aproblem with it and still going strong. i changed the tires at 80000 miles. Been towing a 6x8 u haul every 3 moths up from SF to LA though the grapevine with no probs, gets goos gas milage. spartan interior but fullty functional, never had a problem going though the mountains either.

What a Hot Car
By lbritain on 01/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV

I LOVE my Montero Sport. Bought it new in 1999 and can't bear to part with it. Fun to drive - have never had any mechanical problems in 5 years and 52000 miles. changed brake pads at 35000 miles - no problems - fun and easy to drive. Suspension is a little stiff for a bit more rougher ride but still comfortable. No body problems - 5 years old and still looks brand new.

Love my Montero Sport
By RECON on 12/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my '99 Montero Sport used with 18,000 miles in late 2000. Truck now has 54,000 miles on it. Have had two minor problems with it. Easy fix by dealer. Did have locks taken off the wheels (saw that one comming!). Drives solid and smooth. Style is great, looks better then most other new SUV's. Use mine off road for hunting. It will go most any where! Love it!