Used 1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:

No complaints
By bradley s.

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

I have been pleased with my Montero. It had 40,000 miles on it when I bought it. Mileage is up to 145,000 now and have only had to get new tires and have the antenna replaced. Does lack in power for a v6, but it has served me well. Rides like a truck in the city as expected from an suv, but has a pretty smooth highway ride. Would definately look at getting another one whenever I have to look for a new car again.

Favorite Features

Lots of space. Storage under panels in back. Seats are really comfortable. Good radio/cd changer.

Suggested Improvements

Relocate cup holder to not be in front of a/c and radio. More power would be nice.

Montero Blues
By jackstud45

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Its underpowered, bulky, and heavy. It takes corners worse than any chevy SUV i've ever driven. The steering parts are failing now, and it only has 54K miles on it.

Favorite Features

I like the shape of the steering wheel, and its easy to put aftermarket mods on it to make it look nice.

Suggested Improvements

Although it looks nice, it doesn't hold up on performace, and I can't believe that even for a 24Valve motor lacks this much power.

Served us well
By Bryguy95

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it used (1 year old/20K miles) now has 94K miles on it. Never has "broken-down" but had minor problems with brake pads wearing out, pwr antenna broke (due to winter weather), cup holders broke off, and 4WD now takes some encouragement to work. Has gotten us through some bad snowstorms and I take it off-road occasionally with good results. Otherwise we have enjoyed it and is a nice family vehicle.

Favorite Features

Styling, gas milage (compared to other SUVs),floor-board storage in back, nice room for a mid-size SUV

Suggested Improvements

The 1998 V6 needs more power (they have increased it since then), more reliable 4WD.

Montero Sport
By Susan Havard

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

I love my Montero Sport. Easy to drive, easy to park. No problems on hills. The Montero is our second SUV, we also own a Isuzu Trooper and the Montero is far Superior in comfort and handling. The cupholder broke early and they repaired at no cost. We have been very happy with it.

Rollover nightmare...
By Lo

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

I loved this vehicle,but it got totalled in a rollover. Rolled-over way too easy. Would never recommend this vehicle to anyone for that reason alone.