1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:
Average User
By ajcalhoun on 02/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport ES 4dr SUV

No problems in 67000 miles except have a brake light on since 64000 , probably a solenoid. Still as solid as new. This is a 4-cyl with stick and gets 18-20 & 24 on road approx.It rides better than a new Axiom.

Great Car
By jsmorse47 on 03/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV

I bought the 98 Montero over a year ago and haven't had any major mechanical problems, what so ever. The one problem that I've had is the alarm system which goes off randomly and sometimes wont shut off. My blender in my house sets off the alarm also! So that's jacked, but the handle and the drive is excellent. Very comfortable and roomy.

Great SUV.
By batka on 01/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

I have owned Montero Sport LS V6 (2WD) for 5 years. Currently have about 92000 miles on the odometer. Did all the recommended services in time. There have not been a single break down. All the mechanisms function well. Gas mileage was and still is above my expectations. It makes about 20 mpg on a freeway and about 16 mpg in the city. I also do some light offroading in Mojave desert and my Montero Sport performes splendidly. In my opinion it is one great inexpensive SUV. Besides, Mitsubishi provided excellent financing plan.

Can't wait to buy a second one!
By earlk27 on 01/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have 65000 miles on my Montero Sport and it has been worry free. I love the way it handles, how it looks, and all the great comments I get when people step inside. It's roomy, comfortable, solid and fun.

good
By Joanna on 01/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV

I bought this SUV a few days before my Junior year of high school ended. It was a good price and had very low mileage for the year. I have had it for 8 months now and have had no problems with it. I feel it's a wonderful car and i love driving it. Compared to numerous other SUV's, the monter sport is a comfortable, quiet ride. I am very happy with my choice

can't wait to buy another
By karona on 12/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the first Mitsubishi I've owned, and not one regret. I don't ususally keep a car for more than 2 years but I have no plans to get rid of this one any time soon. I love everything about it. There isn't anything on it that I wish were different and I haven't had any reason to take it to a mechanic.

Would never buy another one!
By Alan Taylor on 10/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

Currently have 102000 miles on this vehicle. It burns about a quart of oil every 1,000 miles, the horsepower has always been inadequate and a lot of little problems have occured since it was bought new. Very poorly engineered vehicle in my opinion.

The worst purchase I've ever made.
By tish mcbroom on 09/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

I really thought I would enjoy this car. I loved how it looked and in the beginning, it seemed to run fine. I've owned it less than 1 year, and have had it in the dealership service department multiple times. I've had the front end re-built, new brakes, oil leak, transmission leak, power window problems, power door lock problem, antenna problem, battery and starter problems...you name it, it's been worked on. I can't wait to get rid of it!

3rd Montero
By kylep on 06/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV

This is my 3rd Montero - 1st Sport. Love the exterior looks, especially when first intro'd. All Montero's have been mechanically sound and virtually trouble free. Only issues came when we replaced my wife's Acura with a Landcruiser. I realize I can't compare the two, but man what a difference. The Montero feels like a sportscar handling-wise, but several aspects, the lack of power mostly, have been highlighted. Still think it's a good car for the money, but the Landcruiser has me spoiled.

Very happy owner
By Chuck Simpson on 03/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

Overall, this is a great vehicle. We have 73k trouble-free miles so far and couldn't be happier. The only problem we did have was a wierd howling noise during highways speeds on windy days. Mitsu put a TSB out for this, but the dealership gave us a hard time about replacing the window seals. They eventually did and everything is fine now.