Used 1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:

Electrical and rear suspension
By carl

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

Owned since 2006. I enjoy driving this vehicle. Rough on city streets but very smooth on highway. Very good on gas consumption and tires.

sunroof, radio and seats.

cup holder, rear suspension bushing console and gear indicating lighting. backup light

all round good suv
By cjody87

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

I've put 50,000 mi on it in a year and have only replaced tires and wipers. Will need a water pump soon but can't complain. SOLID SUV

looks tough w/oversized tires

move holders, but they fixed that already

I drove it I loved it
By oleg

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport ES 4dr SUV

All I can say: change oil, add gas! Be careful if you drive on high speed, check oil after that. Don't drive with full tank, 3/4 is the best. My Mitsu get best fuel economy 23.2 mpg and worse 18 mpg. Body is strong, engine is good. Really good car for it age.

It rocks when tank is 1/3 and less.

For this price it's good.

Beautiful, Faithful & Rugged
By Kendall

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned my 1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport going on nine years and have never had one serious problem. I've only had to replace the wipers, tires, brakes and one windshield wiper pump in 130,000 miles. This has been the best all around truck I've ever owned. It is a little underpowered on the freeway but will climb the Grand Canyon (where I live by the way) with ease. She looks almost as good as the day I bought her in 1997 and I will probably keep "Mitsy" for another 9 years.

I love how this truck is comfortable and plush inside, beautiful on the outside, but a beast on the trail. The limited slip differential, rigid ladder frame, and rugged drivetrain make winter snow and the mud boonies a breeze. This is not a wannabe SUV on a car frame.

A little more power for the freeway would be nice but not required at the expense of reduced gas mileage.

Montero Sport is a great value
By Bobbo48

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport and it is a nice looking truck six years later. It is a little under powered though. At least it gets OK mileage. I have never had one problem with it until the antenna broke. Having said this, the cup holder was never right and the whistling noise that I experience at high speeds is annoying. Overall this vehicle is a great value and I would buy another.

Floor cargo storage, arm rest with cupholders in the back

Fix the whistling noise. Give it more power for the road (geared more for off-road). More passenger side leg room.