1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport ES Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Average User
By ajcalhoun

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport ES 4dr SUV

No problems in 67000 miles except have a brake light on since 64000 , probably a solenoid. Still as solid as new. This is a 4-cyl with stick and gets 18-20 & 24 on road approx.It rides better than a new Axiom.

Suggested Improvements

More power for more expensive models as 6 cyl was underpowered & 4 felt as if more torque

Great Car
By jsmorse47

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV

I bought the 98 Montero over a year ago and haven't had any major mechanical problems, what so ever. The one problem that I've had is the alarm system which goes off randomly and sometimes wont shut off. My blender in my house sets off the alarm also! So that's jacked, but the handle and the drive is excellent. Very comfortable and roomy.

Favorite Features

Size- not too big and not too small. Speed- it has no trouble accelerating up hills interior- very nice design (including wheel base and size) is the best around. Other SUVs look like they're on marbles compared to the montero

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage is low, but not too bad for an SUV. Beware of the alarm system.

Great SUV.
By batka

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

I have owned Montero Sport LS V6 (2WD) for 5 years. Currently have about 92000 miles on the odometer. Did all the recommended services in time. There have not been a single break down. All the mechanisms function well. Gas mileage was and still is above my expectations. It makes about 20 mpg on a freeway and about 16 mpg in the city. I also do some light offroading in Mojave desert and my Montero Sport performes splendidly. In my opinion it is one great inexpensive SUV. Besides, Mitsubishi provided excellent financing plan.

Favorite Features

Excellent workmanship. Exterior and interior styling.

Suggested Improvements

I'd recommend to add more power to the engine and to change location of the cupholder, but it's been done already.

Can't wait to buy a second one!
By earlk27

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have 65000 miles on my Montero Sport and it has been worry free. I love the way it handles, how it looks, and all the great comments I get when people step inside. It's roomy, comfortable, solid and fun.

Favorite Features

I chose this one cause it has a sun roof and it's a color you don't see a lot of. I love sitting up high, higher than most other SUV's I've driven.

Suggested Improvements

I wish there was someway to get better gas mileage out of it. Starting in 2000 I know the cup holders were redesigned and that whistling road noise has been taken care of. Those are my two biggest complaints. I look forward to upgrading to a newer model in a year or two.

good
By Joanna

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV

I bought this SUV a few days before my Junior year of high school ended. It was a good price and had very low mileage for the year. I have had it for 8 months now and have had no problems with it. I feel it's a wonderful car and i love driving it. Compared to numerous other SUV's, the monter sport is a comfortable, quiet ride. I am very happy with my choice

Favorite Features

I love my moonroof and leather seats. There are numerous storage compartments throughout the car and its always helpful when going on trips.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are not in a good spot. they are right above the radio making it difficult to change stations or songs when a cd is playing.

can't wait to buy another
By karona

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the first Mitsubishi I've owned, and not one regret. I don't ususally keep a car for more than 2 years but I have no plans to get rid of this one any time soon. I love everything about it. There isn't anything on it that I wish were different and I haven't had any reason to take it to a mechanic.

Would never buy another one!
By Alan Taylor

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

Currently have 102000 miles on this vehicle. It burns about a quart of oil every 1,000 miles, the horsepower has always been inadequate and a lot of little problems have occured since it was bought new. Very poorly engineered vehicle in my opinion.

Favorite Features

It looks good on the exterior

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower in the engine category.

The worst purchase I've ever made.
By tish mcbroom

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

I really thought I would enjoy this car. I loved how it looked and in the beginning, it seemed to run fine. I've owned it less than 1 year, and have had it in the dealership service department multiple times. I've had the front end re-built, new brakes, oil leak, transmission leak, power window problems, power door lock problem, antenna problem, battery and starter problems...you name it, it's been worked on. I can't wait to get rid of it!

Favorite Features

It's pretty and nice to look at, just don't rely on it to get you anywhere.

Suggested Improvements

Stop making this piece of junk, and I will stop telling everyone I know how much I hate my car.

3rd Montero
By kylep

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV

This is my 3rd Montero - 1st Sport. Love the exterior looks, especially when first intro'd. All Montero's have been mechanically sound and virtually trouble free. Only issues came when we replaced my wife's Acura with a Landcruiser. I realize I can't compare the two, but man what a difference. The Montero feels like a sportscar handling-wise, but several aspects, the lack of power mostly, have been highlighted. Still think it's a good car for the money, but the Landcruiser has me spoiled.

Favorite Features

Durability and reliability. All 3 of mine have been excellent - 80k miles each with no major issues.

Suggested Improvements

more power - it seems crazy at this point that a V8 hasn't been offered in the big Montero, or a higher HP in the Sport. After all, if Honda and Nissan can offer 240, Mitsubishi should be able to increase a little.

Very happy owner
By Chuck Simpson

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

Overall, this is a great vehicle. We have 73k trouble-free miles so far and couldn't be happier. The only problem we did have was a wierd howling noise during highways speeds on windy days. Mitsu put a TSB out for this, but the dealership gave us a hard time about replacing the window seals. They eventually did and everything is fine now.

Favorite Features

Exterior appearance with aggressive styling.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior materials that are less prone to scratches and wear.