1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:
all round good suv
By cjody87 on 07/29/08 17:35 PM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

I've put 50,000 mi on it in a year and have only replaced tires and wipers. Will need a water pump soon but can't complain. SOLID SUV

I drove it I loved it
By oleg on 11/09/07 18:29 PM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport ES 4dr SUV

All I can say: change oil, add gas! Be careful if you drive on high speed, check oil after that. Don't drive with full tank, 3/4 is the best. My Mitsu get best fuel economy 23.2 mpg and worse 18 mpg. Body is strong, engine is good. Really good car for it age.

Beautiful, Faithful & Rugged
By Kendall on 01/10/06 10:20 AM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned my 1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport going on nine years and have never had one serious problem. I've only had to replace the wipers, tires, brakes and one windshield wiper pump in 130,000 miles. This has been the best all around truck I've ever owned. It is a little underpowered on the freeway but will climb the Grand Canyon (where I live by the way) with ease. She looks almost as good as the day I bought her in 1997 and I will probably keep "Mitsy" for another 9 years.

Montero Sport is a great value
By Bobbo48 on 12/15/04 08:49 AM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport and it is a nice looking truck six years later. It is a little under powered though. At least it gets OK mileage. I have never had one problem with it until the antenna broke. Having said this, the cup holder was never right and the whistling noise that I experience at high speeds is annoying. Overall this vehicle is a great value and I would buy another.

Couldn't be happier :)
By Maria Terezinha on 08/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

I bought this car used 3-1/2 years ago and so far all I had to do is oil changes, tire changes and 1 battery replacement. This has been so far the most reliable car I ever had.

No complaints
By bradley s. on 07/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

I have been pleased with my Montero. It had 40,000 miles on it when I bought it. Mileage is up to 145,000 now and have only had to get new tires and have the antenna replaced. Does lack in power for a v6, but it has served me well. Rides like a truck in the city as expected from an suv, but has a pretty smooth highway ride. Would definately look at getting another one whenever I have to look for a new car again.

Montero Blues
By jackstud45 on 07/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Its underpowered, bulky, and heavy. It takes corners worse than any chevy SUV i've ever driven. The steering parts are failing now, and it only has 54K miles on it.

Served us well
By Bryguy95 on 06/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it used (1 year old/20K miles) now has 94K miles on it. Never has "broken-down" but had minor problems with brake pads wearing out, pwr antenna broke (due to winter weather), cup holders broke off, and 4WD now takes some encouragement to work. Has gotten us through some bad snowstorms and I take it off-road occasionally with good results. Otherwise we have enjoyed it and is a nice family vehicle.

Montero Sport
By Susan Havard on 03/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

I love my Montero Sport. Easy to drive, easy to park. No problems on hills. The Montero is our second SUV, we also own a Isuzu Trooper and the Montero is far Superior in comfort and handling. The cupholder broke early and they repaired at no cost. We have been very happy with it.

Rollover nightmare...
By Lo on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

I loved this vehicle,but it got totalled in a rollover. Rolled-over way too easy. Would never recommend this vehicle to anyone for that reason alone.