Used 1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:

My mechanic didn't think it was a good buy...
By Marie Fleming

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

But had I listened to him, I would not be reporting on the best car experience ever. I bought my 1998 Sport in 2002 when it already had 80,000 miles. It's now2016 and it's pushing 240,000. Changed one belt eventually because the manual said it should be done, but was told it was still in great shape and I could probably have left it alone. I've driven it low on oil, carried dogs, lumber, cement, enough bags of garden soil to flatten the tires, and it just won't die. There's really only one problem with this car and it's a common complaint: it leaks oil. I was warned they ALL do. I just fill it up every once in a while and it's happy. Oil changes, two attempts at fixing the oil leak, one belt change, tires, new battery, one alternator. That's it. So it's starting to look a little dated, but as long as it sticks with me, I will stick with it.

Ours wont die either.....
By gwumbles

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

1998 bought in 99 with 12000 miles, dealer demo. Just passed 300000, done little preventative maintenance, everything original except tires, battery and oil and air filters.

Used as work vehicle last 5 years, lived in cold and snow in New York and the heat in Atlanta. Has never broke down, did run out of gas once but i guess thats not Mitsubishis fault. Got 38 miles on highway when low fuel light on before it ran out.

Never serviced transmission but still shifts like new. Engine uses oil and has a leak.

Obviously a vehicle should be serviced and maintained and we are probably very lucky but i would take this over a Chevy any day.

IT JUST WON'T DIE!!!
By larainx71

326000 MILES, THAT'S THREE HUNDRED
AND TWENTY SIX THOUSAND MILES!! It finally broke down yesterday, (water pump.) All stop and go miles and boat towing miles. I don't know what kind of alien technology they must have used to build my Montero, but after 12 years, I am getting a new car, and taking this one and put it in a museum somewhere. I haven't changed the oil for at least 8 years, and still purs like a kitten when you start it. The check engine light came on 215000 miles ago. The timing belt is the original!! never changed the spark plugs because they look so hard to get to. 0 maintenance. except for gas and oil, it leaks some where in the engine. Nothing rebuilt, all original

N

Dangerous car
By snowballs

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

This car is the biggest pile of shit I have ever owned. It sucks in the snow or even a newly paved dry road. The suspension is as soft as jello, it roles through every corner. This car is very unsafe. My family hates the montero sport Ls(love stain edition). I would NEVER recomend buying this car unless you want to die in a fiery car accident, it is so unsafe it astounds me that this whole car hasn't been recalled yet. Do not buy unless you want to die..
If you want a reliable safe car, buy a BMW or Mercedes.

Watching it slide through the gardrails on mountaion highways.

Improve it all!

Dont buy
By germancarlife

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

This car is atrocious...It is literally the biggest pile of crap ive ever driven. It handles and drives like an outhouse on wheels. This mitz (my family calls it the [non-permissible content removed]) a huge failure by mitsubishi. I used to have an 02 x5 3.0i and have no idea why I got rid of it for this p.o.s. Im selling it (if anyone is on enough drugs to buy it) and getting back my greatly loved BMW...Im sticking to german cars because this car to be perffectly honest, blows

Its fun to abuse