1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:
Ours wont die either.....
By gwumbles on 02/27/13 20:50 PM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

1998 bought in 99 with 12000 miles, dealer demo. Just passed 300000, done little preventative maintenance, everything original except tires, battery and oil and air filters. Used as work vehicle last 5 years, lived in cold and snow in New York and the heat in Atlanta. Has never broke down, did run out of gas once but i guess thats not Mitsubishis fault. Got 38 miles on highway when low fuel light on before it ran out. Never serviced transmission but still shifts like new. Engine uses oil and has a leak. Obviously a vehicle should be serviced and maintained and we are probably very lucky but i would take this over a Chevy any day.

IT JUST WON'T DIE!!!
By larainx71 on 08/21/12 21:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

326000 MILES, THAT'S THREE HUNDRED AND TWENTY SIX THOUSAND MILES!! It finally broke down yesterday, (water pump.) All stop and go miles and boat towing miles. I don't know what kind of alien technology they must have used to build my Montero, but after 12 years, I am getting a new car, and taking this one and put it in a museum somewhere. I haven't changed the oil for at least 8 years, and still purs like a kitten when you start it. The check engine light came on 215000 miles ago. The timing belt is the original!! never changed the spark plugs because they look so hard to get to. 0 maintenance. except for gas and oil, it leaks some where in the engine. Nothing rebuilt, all original

Dangerous car
By snowballs on 08/06/12 16:41 PM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

This car is the biggest pile of shit I have ever owned. It sucks in the snow or even a newly paved dry road. The suspension is as soft as jello, it roles through every corner. This car is very unsafe. My family hates the montero sport Ls(love stain edition). I would NEVER recomend buying this car unless you want to die in a fiery car accident, it is so unsafe it astounds me that this whole car hasn't been recalled yet. Do not buy unless you want to die.. If you want a reliable safe car, buy a BMW or Mercedes.

Dont buy
By germancarlife on 06/04/12 19:52 PM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

This car is atrocious...It is literally the biggest pile of crap ive ever driven. It handles and drives like an outhouse on wheels. This mitz (my family calls it the [non-permissible content removed]) a huge failure by mitsubishi. I used to have an 02 x5 3.0i and have no idea why I got rid of it for this p.o.s. Im selling it (if anyone is on enough drugs to buy it) and getting back my greatly loved BMW...Im sticking to german cars because this car to be perffectly honest, blows

CJ project-Lillian
By coriii0312 on 07/24/10 00:45 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

The Montero Sport is perfect for pulling boats, trailers, ect. It is spacious for all five passengers and with all the trunk, rack and hide away spots there's always room to put just about any item. The Build of the Montero is bold, safe. Overall performance is splendid.

Close to 200,000 and going strong
By Marcel on 01/29/10 09:24 AM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle new on 1998 and I did not have any major problems with it. After 150,000 or so, it started to consume about a quart of oil every 2000 miles or so. At 90,000 I had a major maintenance check and so I did at 190,000 (change timing belt, spark plugs, water pump etc). The shop check the engine compression at 190 thousands and it was around 150. They said I could drive it for another 100 thousands miles.

My montero
By c rich on 01/14/10 15:25 PM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. If Mitsubishi still made the Montero I would buy one for 2010. This car will not die. I only have 160k but she still runs like the first day I bought her 11yrs ago. A total "underdog" in the world of autos.

Green Machine
By Jose on 08/05/09 16:03 PM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

The car that I'm currently driving has 156k+. Been passed down through the family since we purchased it new, in 99. It has taken a beating, but still drives pretty good. My opinion it's a well worth it care and a good buy. The car is considered a legend in my book.

Comfortable but costly
By Rob L on 11/22/08 10:56 AM (PST)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Great ride on the highway. Excellent leg room in backseat compared to similar size SUVs. Front seats comfortable after hours of driving. Had to replace two broken leaf springs. Radio antenna is broken. Whistling sound at highway speeds. Rear door latch works poorly.

Electrical and rear suspension
By carl on 08/21/08 02:08 AM (PDT)

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

Owned since 2006. I enjoy driving this vehicle. Rough on city streets but very smooth on highway. Very good on gas consumption and tires.