1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:
Keeps on Tickin'
By dap on 01/23/09 16:11 PM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We have owned our Red Montero Sport for around 5 years now, and this thing just keeps on tickin'. I have been planning on buying a newer vehicle, but since this one is paid off and still runs so well, and still looks very good for a 97, I just can't see any reason for getting rid of it. One big plus is that it is roomy in the back seat for my two teens and has plenty of interior room throughout. The seat belts are beginning to lose their "spring" but it's not a major problem, especially for an 12 year old vehicle. I have never owned this old of a vehicle that is so trouble free. Tune ups and other routine maintenance is about all we have had to do. Looks newer than 97.

Little red wagon
By little red wagon on 01/05/09 11:23 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I got this car from my aunt. So far great she Burns a little oil but other than that problem free. The side steps give an added look and so do the mud flaps.

Great SUV
By Zunnee on 05/31/06 20:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

I bought this 1997 Montero Sport in 2002 with 60,000 miles on it and in last few years I have never opened its hood even one time for any problem. It has been very reliable and but it is a little bumpy. Other than that, I will say that it's a great SUV with very little maintinance,

Montero LS is Superior
By R. Fengler on 10/30/05 17:28 PM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

I've owned several SUVs, including two Isuzu Troopers, and an International Scout. While the Troopers were fairly reliable, they had lousy seats, and even after I bought the top of the line seats from a junkyard, the Trooper was still not comfortable and I ended up selling it. I stumbled across this Montero FSBO, and fortunately the woman owner had purchased the aftermarket leather option. It is very comfortable & I have over 115,000 miles with no problems. Plus, I've been able to get over 19 mpg in town!

nice truck
By basagulo on 10/12/05 15:36 PM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

I bought my 1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport used with 8,000 miles on it back in 1997. I drove it cross country and in long trips for vacation. I also haul home improvement supplies, life rocks, and concrete in it. It is a very dependable vehicle. The power antena went out after six years and the Infinity radio went out after years years though. The leather seats are a nice touch. The engine keeps running and has not left me stranded. The suspension is truck like, this definitley is not a car based SUV. I love the look of the Montero Sport and I think most other manufacturer's SUV was designed based on its looks. I have changed the radio to a CD player and the wheels to 17" to freshen it's looks.

Great Car to own
By Kim on 07/24/05 00:20 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car relatively new (36K), and have never, ever had an issue with it. Lacks the power I need in the mountains, but otherwise on the highway and in town, is perfect. People have told me never to buy a car the first year it's developed, but this may be the best car I will ever own. Reliable, beautiful, spacious, I will drive it until it no longer drives.

great SUV
By AceRick124 on 04/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV 4WD

bought at carmax 4/03 and drove for a year. Completely trouble free. It gets pretty good highway mileage, and acceptable city mileage. Lots of room for everything, and really comfortable. The stereo is great sounding. Love it!

Nice!
By Mrjb on 11/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the car used (35k miles) Drove it for 5 years without any mentionable problems. Spak pluk wire came loose once & electric antanna has an additude. Thought i wanted to trade it for a new car once paid off but couldn't part with my baby. After 132,000 i finally have to. The transmission is starting to go, which i guess is a bad defect, but to me the time to get a more fuel efficient sedan. (still, 17-20 mpg is not bad fro suv) The ride is great. 6'3" with back problems and i can drive it for 9 hrs straight!

Good value for your money
By ugly on 04/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had this vehicle for a little over two years and it has been excellent, fingers crossed, no major problems to date. I have the oil changed every 3,000 miles,I have it serviced, as recommended, and the only thing I have had to replace is the battery, oh and maybe a bulb!

Reliability Is It
By Raleigh on 03/15/02 08:35 AM (PST)

1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my 3rd Mitsubishi. I've enjoyed all of them. They have all been very reliable. I've never had any problems with any of them that have been major. The Montero Sport is a under powered but still fun to drive. I love the body style and the feel of the vehicle. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who wanted to look good and have fun.