Used 1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Montero Sport model:

Keeps on Tickin'
By dap

1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We have owned our Red Montero Sport for around 5 years now, and this thing just keeps on tickin'. I have been planning on buying a newer vehicle, but since this one is paid off and still runs so well, and still looks very good for a 97, I just can't see any reason for getting rid of it. One big plus is that it is roomy in the back seat for my two teens and has plenty of interior room throughout. The seat belts are beginning to lose their "spring" but it's not a major problem, especially for an 12 year old vehicle. I have never owned this old of a vehicle that is so trouble free. Tune ups and other routine maintenance is about all we have had to do. Looks newer than 97.

Favorite Features

Comfort of seats, exterior looks (red with gold trim) and most of all reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Seat belt quality, cup holders easy to break.

Little red wagon
By little red wagon

1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I got this car from my aunt. So far great she Burns a little oil but other than that problem free. The side steps give an added look and so do the mud flaps.

Favorite Features

The Infinity cd/tape/fm/am radio, leather seats, the a/t button (hold button), sun roof.

Suggested Improvements

Glove compartment needs to be raised a little higher

Great SUV
By Zunnee

1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

I bought this 1997 Montero Sport in 2002 with 60,000 miles on it and in last few years I have never opened its hood even one time for any problem. It has been very reliable and but it is a little bumpy. Other than that, I will say that it's a great SUV with very little maintinance,

Favorite Features

The two tone color and great room.

Montero LS is Superior
By R. Fengler

1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

I've owned several SUVs, including two Isuzu Troopers, and an International Scout. While the Troopers were fairly reliable, they had lousy seats, and even after I bought the top of the line seats from a junkyard, the Trooper was still not comfortable and I ended up selling it. I stumbled across this Montero FSBO, and fortunately the woman owner had purchased the aftermarket leather option. It is very comfortable & I have over 115,000 miles with no problems. Plus, I've been able to get over 19 mpg in town!

Favorite Features

Reliable, comfotable, gets good gas mileage, and can pull a light trailer.

Suggested Improvements

Suggest purchasing a transmission cooler & CD Changer.

nice truck
By basagulo

1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4dr SUV

I bought my 1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport used with 8,000 miles on it back in 1997. I drove it cross country and in long trips for vacation. I also haul home improvement supplies, life rocks, and concrete in it. It is a very dependable vehicle. The power antena went out after six years and the Infinity radio went out after years years though. The leather seats are a nice touch. The engine keeps running and has not left me stranded. The suspension is truck like, this definitley is not a car based SUV. I love the look of the Montero Sport and I think most other manufacturer's SUV was designed based on its looks. I have changed the radio to a CD player and the wheels to 17" to freshen it's looks.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, folding back seats, and truck suspension to haul heavy supplies.