2014 Mitsubishi Mirage Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mirage model:

Great economy car, but should have recall issued.
By Michael

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 4dr Hatchback (1.2L 3cyl 5M)

Love this car, and it's decently quick with a 5 speed. It's light and flickable. Gets the job done, and there's aftermarket performace support. BUT, there's a huge problem that Mitsubishi should be making a recall for. The rear alignment is non-adjustable, and can't even be shimmed. The spindles are welded directly to the axle. So, if your rear toe or camber is out of spec (which 95% of these seem to be), they'll just say there's nothing they can do, and you'll watch your tires wear out unevenly and quickly. As this is clearly a manufacturer's defect, it should be addressed by Mitsubishi, and since it's affecting such a large number of cars, it should be made a recall. New rear axles with bolted-on spindles (not welded) should be manufactured and installed on every 2012- Mirage sold around the world with out-of-spec rear alignments.

Update
By pwernich

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage ES 4dr Hatchback (1.2L 3cyl CVT)

I have now put another 5,000 miles on my Mirage (see earlier review) and still enjoying it but discovering some new flaws. For a car with a sticker price of $18,000 I feel it is lacking many basics including an armrest, sliding sunvisors with mirrors, and lighted door controls (windows, locks, and side mirror controls on dash). I don't like fumbling around at night trying to find the buttons.Gas mileage in town is not impressive and on the highway I average about 37 (driving 70+). Now if I drive like a grandpa I have actually hit 51 mpg's before, but that is very rare.Other cars with bigger engines and more horsepower get about the same mileage. The dash has started vibrating/rattling too.

The car has a unique style and character, you don't see them all over the road.

Better padding/insulation around the dash, add an armrest, sliding visors with mirrors, and lighted buttons (power windows, locks, mirrors).

It's NOT your Dads HOT ROD
By dbrandenburg

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 4dr Hatchback (1.2L 3cyl CVT)

I bought One of thee Mitsubishi Mirage's, in late Nov. 2014.. The DE Model, (Automatic CVT), Sapphire blue.. For a First time buyer, It truly is a great car, Or for commuters.. It IS comfy driving, though seat adjustment/Steering Wheel could use a Improvement.. Noise Isn't really to bad, Annoying getting Off the starting Line, (green lights), though the Majority of the noise comes from the Transmission/Engine Combination, which IMOP could be Eliminated with noise dampening materials in the Firewall area(s), without sacrificing weight.. Going on Long trips, 600+ on I-40 is YES; is treacherously "fun",, Be prepared for the "side draft" from Big Rigs as they pass you, or them vice-versa..

Roomy front, fold down back seat, (room for fishing gear etc), Grocery room is great, room for the Dog in back.. SAFTEY, Unfortunately, I got creamed @ a dead stop from behind by a person with a cell phone driver @ 35MPH, I can say YES this lil car took a lick, BY a Nissan SUV, with Minimal Damage, just to the Composite Bumper, though yes its still drivable.. Gas Savings! Non-ethanol, Premium gas, I've achieved up too 50+ MPG.. Climate features are good, as is the Audio, Not Ear pounding, good enough to listen to your Fave 90's Rock Band..

Beefier/Wider Softer tires, Better suspension, So the tooth rattling drive doesn't rattle your fillings out. needed Improvements/adjustments on the steering column.. Wider Softer Tires alone could Make HUGE Improvement's on Drivability Issues! Other than that, It's a GREAT Lil car for commuters/First Time Car Buyers.. THIS ISN'T You Dads Hot Rod... Remember Kiddies, It only has a little 3 banger, though Gas Savings Mileage Makes up for this! CONS: It won't Tow My 30' Yacht ;) Dampening Material(s) incorporated into the Firewall area(s), to reduce engine/transmission noise..

Quirky and Charming
By sdaigle

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage ES 4dr Hatchback (1.2L 3cyl CVT)

I've owned this car for 4 months and 8,000 miles now. I stepped down to this car from a 2012 Nissan Versa SV sedan. That's my basis for comparison. Once I adjusted to only having 74hp, I now find the power perfectly adequate most times. It does struggle on hills and interstate passing, but is surprisingly sedate once settled into a cruising speed. The ride is very comfortable, however, it's very soft and handles sloppily. This car is not set up for fast, winding country roads, which is 90% of my driving. The interior is attractive and quite comfortable. Good ergonomics. Comfy seat and driving position.

1) Fuel economy! I'm generally averaging 40-45mpg. 2) Features. The Mirage ES is packed with features for a subcompact at any price. I love the speed sensitive windshield wipers, auto-off headlights, auto climate control, and USB input hidden in the glovebox. The steering wheel audio controls are a nice touch. I love the feel of the leather-wrapped steering wheel in my hands. 3) Quality. The Mirage seems well-built for a "cheap" car. I was leery about buying a car made in Taiwan, but so far no major complaints.

Mitsubishi, please get rid of the dash squeaks and rattles. A 4 month old car with only 8,000 miles should not have this issue. Also, please fix the poor fitment of the passenger airbag cover, which is common with the Mirage. I would also love reduced wind and road noise. For some reason, when the car is wet, the wind noise howls prominently.

Don't believe the negative hype....
By pwernich

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage ES 4dr Hatchback (1.2L 3cyl CVT)

I bought my 2014 Mirage with less than 5,000 miles and got a great deal. I have the blue one with the navigation/back-up camera/info-tainment system, ground effects kit, and interior ambient lighting. It is very sporty and unique looking. I average 40-45 mpg's and I am an agrressive driver. I recently drove over an hour in high winds and hard rain and the Mirage handled like a champ. It accelerates to my satisfaction and the car has a great warranty (5/60 bumper to bumper). I disagree with all those so called "experts" who bash this car. The Mirage has a low price, gets super gas mileage, and a terrific warranty. If you have reasonable expectations you won't be disappointed. Test drive one.

Roomy, great mpg's, and extensive warranty.

Passenger visor mirror, center armrest, and sliding/extending visors.