2014 Mitsubishi Mirage Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mirage model:

Driven this little car through EVERYTHING
By scion123

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 4dr Hatchback (1.2L 3cyl CVT)

I've now had this car over a year and Ive really tested what it could truly do .. We were hit in it hard shortly after purchase myself and my two occupants were just fine .. My insurance covered repairs but it was just superficial no frame damage .. I took lots of road trips through faLl .. Went camping .. Which we had a massive rain storm roads were flooded trees down .. That little car drove right over branches and through deep puddles zero issues. My mom is disabled having several spinal fusions she can't turn her head and her arms, neck and shoulders are in constant pain she LOVES my little Purpink (that's what I call her) we raised the seat up so its easier for her to get in and out it definitely doesn't feel like a tiny car you don't feel like you're sitting on the road and when the seat is raised it sits like an SUV. The steering wheel initially feels loose it takes small inputs to move it .. Once you get used to it every other car feels like so much effort to drive .. And I nearly take out curbs etc in other vehicles as I'm uSed to the tight turns Purpink can make with minimal effort .. My mom drives my car with ease .. She's even taken several 12+ hr road trips with me which she never thought she'd be able to do but Purpink is so comfortable and easy to drive. I'm 5'9" and a large person my family/ friends etc are also 5'9" or taller and no one is skinny everyone fits great .. We don't even have to touch in the front seat .. My friends who have ridden in back say it's not bad .. I drove from wi to NY and back over the winter we spent more on tolls .. than gas .. On the way home we hit a 6 hr snow storm throug Ohio cars were spinning off the road .. We were totally fine .. Kept my speed down and she drove as well as my AWD suv. This summer my friend and I spent 10 days exloring colorado .. All our camping gear, tents, cooler, etc us two large suitcases fit just fine without blocking any windows. We spent the majority of time on gravel roads and remote camping we drove up and down a nearly straight up and down rut covered dirt hill to get to our campsite on the river even pick up trucks had an issue making it .. We just went.. Up and down it repeatedly zero Issues .. People kept staring at her all amazed that she could even make it there and she did it with ease .. I LOvE this car .. Even my guys friends and brother love my tiny purpink car. Only thing is change is a center console/ arm rest for comfort and much needed storage for small things .. Plenty of cup holders tho

A modern take on the original VW beetle
By Eric

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 4dr Hatchback (1.2L 3cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for just over a year now, and have approximately 22,000 miles on it. This car is a great value as it gets unbelievable to MPGs and comes with an outstanding warranty. It is also cheaper to insure than its competitors. I have driven this car in all types of conditions nclude up Vermont snow covered mountains (with studded snow tires), driven on muddy dirt roads, and have taken numerous long trips on the highway. All of which it does well. I don't know what the reviewers are talking about when they criticize this cars performance. It does well doing what it was designed to do. It is inexpensive, utilitarian, reliable transportation. Think a modern version of the original VW bug. Its inexpensive, fun, quirky, and doesn't resemble everything else on the road. Being said, the car is also fun to drive. I think it goes without saying that this car will not give you the driving experience of launching you back in your seat when you hit the gas. It does give you the type of fun driving experience that is associated with driving a lightweight car that you can whip around corners, and in my opinion the car has a very nice exhaust note while doing so. Many of the professional car reviewers over dramatize this cars ability on the highway. It has adequate acceleration, and does fine at higher speeds. If you are the type who needs a fancy vehicle and a $500 plus car payment to feel good about yourself, this car will not fit the bill. If you are looking to save money while enjoying a fun little car, give this one a try.

Great economy car, but should have recall issued.
By Michael

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 4dr Hatchback (1.2L 3cyl 5M)

Love this car, and it's decently quick with a 5 speed. It's light and flickable. Gets the job done, and there's aftermarket performace support. BUT, there's a huge problem that Mitsubishi should be making a recall for. The rear alignment is non-adjustable, and can't even be shimmed. The spindles are welded directly to the axle. So, if your rear toe or camber is out of spec (which 95% of these seem to be), they'll just say there's nothing they can do, and you'll watch your tires wear out unevenly and quickly. As this is clearly a manufacturer's defect, it should be addressed by Mitsubishi, and since it's affecting such a large number of cars, it should be made a recall. New rear axles with bolted-on spindles (not welded) should be manufactured and installed on every 2012- Mirage sold around the world with out-of-spec rear alignments.

Update
By pwernich

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage ES 4dr Hatchback (1.2L 3cyl CVT)

I have now put another 5,000 miles on my Mirage (see earlier review) and still enjoying it but discovering some new flaws. For a car with a sticker price of $18,000 I feel it is lacking many basics including an armrest, sliding sunvisors with mirrors, and lighted door controls (windows, locks, and side mirror controls on dash). I don't like fumbling around at night trying to find the buttons.Gas mileage in town is not impressive and on the highway I average about 37 (driving 70+). Now if I drive like a grandpa I have actually hit 51 mpg's before, but that is very rare.Other cars with bigger engines and more horsepower get about the same mileage. The dash has started vibrating/rattling too.

The car has a unique style and character, you don't see them all over the road.

Better padding/insulation around the dash, add an armrest, sliding visors with mirrors, and lighted buttons (power windows, locks, mirrors).

It's NOT your Dads HOT ROD
By dbrandenburg

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 4dr Hatchback (1.2L 3cyl CVT)

I bought One of thee Mitsubishi Mirage's, in late Nov. 2014.. The DE Model, (Automatic CVT), Sapphire blue.. For a First time buyer, It truly is a great car, Or for commuters.. It IS comfy driving, though seat adjustment/Steering Wheel could use a Improvement.. Noise Isn't really to bad, Annoying getting Off the starting Line, (green lights), though the Majority of the noise comes from the Transmission/Engine Combination, which IMOP could be Eliminated with noise dampening materials in the Firewall area(s), without sacrificing weight.. Going on Long trips, 600+ on I-40 is YES; is treacherously "fun",, Be prepared for the "side draft" from Big Rigs as they pass you, or them vice-versa..

Roomy front, fold down back seat, (room for fishing gear etc), Grocery room is great, room for the Dog in back.. SAFTEY, Unfortunately, I got creamed @ a dead stop from behind by a person with a cell phone driver @ 35MPH, I can say YES this lil car took a lick, BY a Nissan SUV, with Minimal Damage, just to the Composite Bumper, though yes its still drivable.. Gas Savings! Non-ethanol, Premium gas, I've achieved up too 50+ MPG.. Climate features are good, as is the Audio, Not Ear pounding, good enough to listen to your Fave 90's Rock Band..

Beefier/Wider Softer tires, Better suspension, So the tooth rattling drive doesn't rattle your fillings out. needed Improvements/adjustments on the steering column.. Wider Softer Tires alone could Make HUGE Improvement's on Drivability Issues! Other than that, It's a GREAT Lil car for commuters/First Time Car Buyers.. THIS ISN'T You Dads Hot Rod... Remember Kiddies, It only has a little 3 banger, though Gas Savings Mileage Makes up for this! CONS: It won't Tow My 30' Yacht ;) Dampening Material(s) incorporated into the Firewall area(s), to reduce engine/transmission noise..

• SUV