Used 2002 Mitsubishi Mirage Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mitsubishi Mirage Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mirage model:

From Myrtle Beach, SC to Oceanside, CA
By Jules

2002 Mitsubishi Mirage Coupe DE 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I felt the need to pay homage to this amazingly reliable car. I bought this car in 2009, used for $1,000 cash. This is and will likely remain the deal of a lifetime. It had 90,000 miles on it and had been regularly maintained. The only initial issue was a broken front right axel and a dented passenger side door, both from hitting a deer. The front right axel issue was not disclosed to me at the time of purchase. I have been driving this car since and the axel issue the previous owner created finally gave way to bigger issues. It is now at 229,000 and I just paid a pretty penny to give her a well-deserved and vital brand new 2015 sports edition rack and pinion. This, alone should sway any potential buyer. I call her Ole' Bessie and she is my best friend. I have driven this car from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina to Oceanside, California, and halfway back again. She's gone over the Rockies, driven to Vegas, New Orleans, Miami. This car has taken me everywhere I wanted or needed to go for the last 6 and a half years. Aside from my left turning signal and horn going out, the only problems I have had have been regular, to be expected, and small repairs. The worst problems were so miniscule; starter once and distributor cap once. Regular maintenance is vital to longevity of any used car. I have done timing belt change twice since purchase, new serpentine and fan belts once, put on new spark plugs at 200k miles, regular oil change, of course, and the like. The A/C has finally gone and squeaks when I try to turn it on. If it still worked I would actually be more surprised. Luckily, my climate is very mild so it hasn't been a main concern, however this will be the next thing to be replaced. Great gas mileage on the interstate. I do believe it to be higher than most sites have estimated. As long as the car is well maintained it is very quiet on the road. Brakes work great- had a few close calls and was very glad for that. The storage is good for a 2-door, as the back seat pulls down and open to the trunk. My fiance and I have moved with all of our things in this car over 10 times easy. We are minimalists, but the storage is still exemplary. I don't think I can say enough great things about the 2002 Mitsubishi Mirage. I would absolutely recommend this car to any and everybody. I will drive this car as long as possible (which will be a long time with such a quiet, reliable engine) and continue to restore her as the years go by because she has been so good to me and my fiance.

Cheap to high performance
By Michael

2002 Mitsubishi Mirage Coupe DE 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car handles great, good on gas, to gain more horse just replace air filter with a KN filter. That will give you 12 additional horse power and if you spend an additional $150 bucks you can up the performance with an after market chip for extra 30 hp without affecting smog. Cheapest way to get performance for a very reliable car-try it!

Inside style, solid doors, comfortable sport seats, no mechanical problems.

This is the last year but there are a lot of after market parts for performance upgrades.

Awesome Mitsu!
By Jacob

2002 Mitsubishi Mirage Coupe DE 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Got my 2002 Mirage in '03.I hear a lot about bad mpg but mine gets an awesome 35+ mpg. Fun car with killer body kits, carbon fiber hoods, cold air intakes, etc. I've done a lot to mine and it just gets better mpg. Turbos for the 1.5l is out there but are expensive. Mine has 100+hp with 2.5 exhaust and cold air intake. So power is good and easily achieved. Cheap car, so cheap interior can we expect more? It does the job!

Great mpg! Pretty feisty little car. No corvette but for the engine size it's kinda like a minature doberman! Cheap parts to make it faster.

Nothing!

Pretty good car
By Just4God

2002 Mitsubishi Mirage Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Over all this is a good car. I drove it for a little over 3 years when I traded it in for something larger. Very dependable.

Transmission and battery. The tranny is mated perfectly with the engine. Also this had the best oem battery I have ever seen in a car.

Exterior design and or mirrors. The biggest problem that this car has is huge blind spots.

Mitusbishi ride to thrill
By kid sid 2479

2002 Mitsubishi Mirage Coupe DE 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in April 2006 for only $7,999. It recently hit 23,000 miles. It was cheap and affordable. It was the best deal from a car dealership plus it still had avpowertrain warranty on it. It was easy to drive and had less confusing controls inside the car. It handled like a dream. It was a sporty looking car. The back part of it looks like Honda Coupe. I am not complaining about the power. It could have more, but that would make it more expensive. The car is very affordable, nice, and fun to drive of course. It does not give a good milege on roadways but on highways it does pretty well. For people with a tight budget who want a decent, sporty, eye-catching car, this would be it.

Its has good looks and is sporty. Its easy to use controls are not high tech and confusing.

More power would be good, but I don't race so I think they should improve on its safety features.

• SUV